For What It's Worth...

Belkast

To those that have brought up Bedard avoiding the media...it was reported that Trembley had a discussion with Bedard about that and Trembley made it clear what he expected of Bedard in that area. If it is still happening, then I would be just as worried about Trembley's leadership as I would be about Bedard's behavior.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To those that have brought up Bedard avoiding the media...it was reported that Trembley had a discussion with Bedard about that and Trembley made it clear what he expected of Bedard in that area. If it is still happening, then I would be just as worried about Trembley's leadership as I would be about Bedard's behavior.

I don't think Trembley's leadership needs to be questioned. I think he is the man for the job and all indications from almost every avenue have had very high praise for his work ethic and leadership.

I think its more on Bedard if it keeps happening.

All of these trade threads bring me to one conclusion. Regardless of what MacPhail and the Orioles do, half of the fans will be happy, the other half will be upset. Like bigbird used to say, we need to just hold on for the ride and see what happens!

Exactly. FWIW, my thoughts:

1. Just because MacPhail is open to moving the various guys mentioned, that doesn't mean he will. Regardless of what you think of the guy, he's not a dope. He's not gonna give people away unless he perceives them having negative value. So, if some of these things don't happen, it's probably because AM thought the available deals were bad deals. If he doesn't pull all those triggers, that doesn't mean he's not-good. It just means that "the rest of the story" about trading those guys was a bad story.

2. I can't believe we get one report like this and then, before long, it turns into people reading tea leaves about Bedard (a) being a wimp and (b) not wanting to be here. That's just nuts, people. If the org views him as a wimp, there's no way AM is gonna offer him mega-years for mega-bucks-plus. And if he really doesn't like it here, Erik has no compelling reason to sign a new contract. (Even if he does like it here, there's no compelling reason for him to sign a new contract this winter.)

As for what he's worth, people here b*tch because the O's didn't overpay to get other guys in the past. So it's kinda hypocritical to get upset if they overpay to keep Bedard. It's also dumb to think that overpaying on his contract is somehow gonna screw the org moving forward. It's not. Teams waste money all the time. You have to waste a lot more than whatever Bedard's contract would be to somehow doom the future. I agree that it's highly dubious to give any P a mega-year contract. But still. If they overpay to keep him, might it prove to be dumb? Yeah. Might it prove to be smart anyway? Yeah. Might it help the future of the team? Yeah. Is it gonna screw the future of the team? No.

This bashing of Bedard stuff really puzzles me.

I understand he isn't good with the media, hell, he might be even downright rude. However, that shouldn't change the way you deal with someone as a player. Bedard is a ridiculously great pitcher for us, and anyone who wants him traded simply because he isn't good with the media is insane.

I can understand non-biased media sources disliking Bedard because of how he acts. They want interviews, he doesn't give them, they hate him. Fine. But as an Oriole fan, it's no reason to hate him because, hey, he is awesome.

As someone who will be getting into the media after college, I'm sure there will be guys you learn to like and guys you end up disliking, but as a FAN, that's no reason to hate him.

Also, it always seemed to me that Roch really didn't like Bedard. For someone who is a beat writer for the team (sort of), and clearly roots for them (certainly obvious Roch wants to see a winner), I don't get the hatred towards Bedard.

I don't think Trembley's leadership needs to be questioned. I think he is the man for the job and all indications from almost every avenue have had very high praise for his work ethic and leadership.

The highest praise for his leadership would have been if every player on the team had run out every ground ball down the stretch. ;)

Sounds like he's getting tarred and feathered because he isn't good with the media. Lots of rumors. Lots of innuendo. This guy came back from TJ surgery and worked hard enough to make himself into one of the best pitchers in baseball. This other stuff doesn't seem to add up for me.

I really don't know what to think of his "mental toughness" but....

You can argue he worked his butt off the get back from TJ surgery because his career hinged on it. Begging out of games, and milking lesser injuries is not career threatening.

The highest praise for his leadership would have been if every player on the team had run out every ground ball down the stretch. ;)

Riiiight.

He can only do so much. He has talked to everyone of those guys about that. We have actually seen it happen. He took over as the coach of a terrible clubhouse enviroment for half the season.

Rome wasn't built overnight.

Don't get me wrong, I'm firmly in the Trembley camp. I'm just saying that for those who think its a big deal that Bedard avoids the media, they should be just as worried about Trembley's lack of ability to correct a fairly minor issue...if it is, in fact, still happening.

This bashing of Bedard stuff really puzzles me.

I understand he isn't good with the media, hell, he might be even downright rude. However, that shouldn't change the way you deal with someone as a player. Bedard is a ridiculously great pitcher for us, and anyone who wants him traded simply because he isn't good with the media is insane.

I can understand non-biased media sources disliking Bedard because of how he acts. They want interviews, he doesn't give them, they hate him. Fine. But as an Oriole fan, it's no reason to hate him because, hey, he is awesome.

As someone who will be getting into the media after college, I'm sure there will be guys you learn to like and guys you end up disliking, but as a FAN, that's no reason to hate him.

Also, it always seemed to me that Roch really didn't like Bedard. For someone who is a beat writer for the team (sort of), and clearly roots for them (certainly obvious Roch wants to see a winner), I don't get the hatred towards Bedard.

You don't have to hate him. I don't hate Erik Bedard nor would I suggest anyone else should hate him.

It definitely goes beyond "not being good with the media" from time to time with Bedard. Unfortunately I happened to be witness to it on more than one occassion. There's just certain ways you don't talk to or treat other people and he crossed the line.

In my experience, Bedard and Nick Markakis have very similar personalities. Neither are men of many words, but no matter how silly a question might be or how bad a reporter's timing might be, he's never been a jerk.

I will also say that under no circumstances will I allow his demeanor with the media to taint my opinion of him as a ballplayer. I also try to refrain from being opportunistic by taking shots at his persona while discussing his performance. He's a workhorse, he's cerebral, and I gained a lot of respect for him earlier this season when he drilled an opposing hitter in the hip in retaliation for the beanings of Markakis and Tejada.

You don't have to hate him. I don't hate Erik Bedard nor would I suggest anyone else should hate him.

It definitely goes beyond "not being good with the media" from time to time with Bedard. Unfortunately I happened to be witness to it on more than one occassion. There's just certain ways you don't talk to or treat other people and he crossed the line.

In my experience, Bedard and Nick Markakis have very similar personalities. Neither are men of many words, but no matter how silly a question might be or how bad a reporter's timing might be, he's never been a jerk.

I will also say that under no circumstances will I allow his demeanor with the media to taint my opinion of him as a ballplayer. I also try to refrain from being opportunistic by taking shots at his persona while discussing his performance. He's a workhorse, he's cerebral, and I gained a lot of respect for him earlier this season when he drilled an opposing hitter in the hip in retaliation for the beanings of Markakis and Tejada.

I gained respect for him there too, I just don't think you will see him in a O's uniform much longer for multiple reasons.

With deference to Peace21, whose source I believe is solid, I think he's probably off base as to what Bedard expects to make in free agency, and what it would take to keep him in Baltimore. However, if he truly doesn't like it here, he may want an unreasonable amount to stay.

If you read this, Peace21, please elaborate on your statement that Bedard doesn't like it here (if you can). It could mean a number of different things:

1. He doesn't like playing for a losing team.

2. He doesn't like playing in the city of Baltimore.

3. He affirmatively wants to go play for Toronto.

4. He was offended by the way he was treated last winter.

Now, I'm pretty sure reason # 4 is true, because you an others reported it before. That's the easiest one to cure, because MacPhail wasn't on the scene, and getting a good offer now tends to unruffle those kinds of feathers. If reason # 1 is the real reason, then the team may just have to wait until it is in a better position ot convince Bedard that it si an imprving team he should want to remain with. If # 2 or 3 is the reason, there's nothing we can do.

As far as being a jerk are you talking about Bedard or Markakis.

Sounds like he's getting tarred and feathered because he isn't good with the media. Lots of rumors. Lots of innuendo. This guy came back from TJ surgery and worked hard enough to make himself into one of the best pitchers in baseball. This other stuff doesn't seem to add up for me.

Why do you keep acting like there is some sort of secret we don't know about. Bedard went down with an oblique injury in September, and made absolutely NO effort to get back by the end of the season. Okay, I'll give him that. We were a losing team, why come back and make it worse. However, what I won't give him is packing up his stuff and leaving the team weeks before the end of the season. If you can't, (or don't want to) pitch for the rest of the season, fine, but be a team player and support your teammates. I could be wrong, but I am pretty positive he was still getting paid the final weeks of the season! Surgery for something is one thing. A pulled or strained tummy does NOT require a player to leave the team for the year! And give us here at the OH a little credit...we aren't TOLD by the media who to cheer for and who to not cheer for. We make up our OWN minds based on actions we see, and Bedard has made it clear to THIS Orioles fan that he does not want to be here and does not have much heart!

Why do you keep acting like there is some sort of secret we don't know about. Bedard went down with an oblique injury in September, and amde absolutely NO effort to get back by the end of the season. Okay, I'll give him that. We were a losing team, why come back and make it worse. However, what I won't give him is packing up his stuff and leaving the team weeks before the end of the season. If yuo can't, (or don't want to) pitch for the rest of the season, fine, but be a damn team player and support your teammates. I could be wrong, but I am pretty positive he was still getting paid the final weeks of the season! Surgery for soemthing is one thing. A pulled or strained tummy does NOT require s aplyer to leave the team for the year! And give us here at the OH a little credit...we aren't TOLD by the media who to cheer for and who to not cheer for. We make up our OWN inds based on actions we see, and Bedard has made it clear to THIS Orioles fan that he does not want to be here and does not have the heart to compete!

Just to tell you Bedard wasn't the one to decide to get shutdown. Actually Bedard is the only one that would have benefited from pitching the rest of the season injuried. Also it is extremely rare for a player who is out for the season to stick with a team.

Archived