For What It's Worth...

Belkast

Just looking back through some of the articles around the time Bedard went down this year, I came across this little tid-bit...it apparently shows Trembley feels a little differently about Bedard's work ethic than most here.

Bedard Shut Down for Season

I don't think there have been any criticisms of Bedard's work ethic, at least not legit ones. The only legit complaints anybody could possibly have about Bedard is that he hasn't come back from injuries super fast and that he's somewhere between curt and rude with the media.

Anything beyond that is simply sour grapes.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WHEW. I missed a helluva lot being busy with work this morning and then eating lunch. Catching up.....

Gibbons -Good luck, they'll need to add cash

Payton - see Gibbons

Baez - on the disabled list for the 2008 season.

Guys on the 60-day DL don't count against the active roster or 40 man. Sooooo, semantically, keeping Baez but placing him on the 60 day DL (and collecting any insurance) = off the roster. :cool:

I'm not even sure which way I hope Bedard will work out. He has tremendous actual value but I'm positive his perceived value among GMs is even higher than his actual value. Of course, you could always trade him at some point EVEN if you sign him.

Unless he gets a NTC like MelMo. ;)

So, do you think he is a goner?

Seems to me you are saying we will offer him something, know that he won't accept and then trade him to the highest bidder.

This might end up being a very shrewd move on MacPhail’s part. Maybe offering Bedard an overly generous and more-than-fair deal (only to have him decline) sends a message? Message to the fans that we’re willing to pay (and makes Bedard look like the proverbial bad guy). And a message to other players that we are serious about “taking care of our own”?

EDIT: While composing this, I saw that others picked up on the PR move aspect. Glad I’m not the only one thinking along these lines…. :D

Why do you keep acting like there is some sort of secret we don't know about. Bedard went down with an oblique injury in September, and made absolutely NO effort to get back by the end of the season. Okay, I'll give him that. We were a losing team, why come back and make it worse. However, what I won't give him is packing up his stuff and leaving the team weeks before the end of the season. If you can't, (or don't want to) pitch for the rest of the season, fine, but be a team player and support your teammates. I could be wrong, but I am pretty positive he was still getting paid the final weeks of the season! Surgery for something is one thing. A pulled or strained tummy does NOT require a player to leave the team for the year! And give us here at the OH a little credit...we aren't TOLD by the media who to cheer for and who to not cheer for. We make up our OWN minds based on actions we see, and Bedard has made it clear to THIS Orioles fan that he does not want to be here and does not have much heart!

Well, one thing that inevitably seems to get lost in this story is that Bedard left the team with the club’s permission. If they thought EB should work his butt off like Guts or even stick around for the sole purpose of cheerleading, then they shouldn’t have OK’d his departure.

Again, this "granting permission to leave" angle may just be another PR nail in Bedard’s coffin. It's interesting to me that despite having the club’s permission to leave, Bedard seems to be getting raked over the coals for this move. :confused:

Witchy

I don't think there is one pitcher in all of baseball i would give a guaranteed, big money deal to for 5 or more years, much less someone who has had injury issues, is goign to be pitching most of his contract into his 30s and is ona team where his value in trade is more than what he does on the mound.
Peter Angelos? Well said Pete.:002_sbiggrin:

With deference to Peace21, whose source I believe is solid, I think he's probably off base as to what Bedard expects to make in free agency, and what it would take to keep him in Baltimore. However, if he truly doesn't like it here, he may want an unreasonable amount to stay.

If you read this, Peace21, please elaborate on your statement that Bedard doesn't like it here (if you can). It could mean a number of different things:

1. He doesn't like playing for a losing team.

2. He doesn't like playing in the city of Baltimore.

3. He affirmatively wants to go play for Toronto.

4. He was offended by the way he was treated last winter.

Now, I'm pretty sure reason # 4 is true, because you an others reported it before. That's the easiest one to cure, because MacPhail wasn't on the scene, and getting a good offer now tends to unruffle those kinds of feathers. If reason # 1 is the real reason, then the team may just have to wait until it is in a better position ot convince Bedard that it si an imprving team he should want to remain with. If # 2 or 3 is the reason, there's nothing we can do.

Good list.

#4 seems like very small potatoes and easily fixable, even if it's true, which it might not be.

#1 makes a lot of sense to me, which is one reason why I think you keep him at least until we see how 2008 is looking.

#2 and #3 seem fantasy-based. They could be true, but we don't know. People here keep saying one or both of them, and they're both based on zilch.

It's interesting to me that despite having the club’s permission to leave, Bedard seems to be getting raked over the coals for this move. :confused:

Witchy

Although they are entirely different situations, having the club's permission to do anything means very little as far as public opinion goes...just ask Kevin Millar.

You know I would also like to point out that since AM has been here PGA has stayed out of all decisions except when AM asks for his participation. This is Andy's show and PGA is not getting involved at all! Now don't get me wrong anything big AM would obviously keep him informed, which every team does with the owner. PGA has made a good decision with AM and more importantly he is letting the baseball people do what they do best.

You know I would also like to point out that since AM has been here PGA has stayed out of all decisions except when AM asks for his participation. This is Andy's show and PGA is not getting involved at all! Now don't get me wrong anything big AM would obviously keep him informed, which every team does with the owner. PGA has made a good decision with AM and more importantly he is letting the baseball people do what they do best.

I think this is the most important post in this thread. This all sounds very, very good to me. :D

Que "Hallelujah Chorus" :D

PA finally put a grown-up in charge who he trusts. It's probably a big relief to PA to feel like he doesn't have to look over the FO's shoulder.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate you starting and monitoring this thread today. I'm sure we all feel that way.

Definately agree with you. I am having a hard time listening to the Fed Rate Cut(.25 + .25 on discount for those of you that don't know) and reading every single post on this thread. Boy do I love the off season.

WHEW. I missed a helluva lot being busy with work this morning and then eating lunch. Catching up.....

Guys on the 60-day DL don't count against the active roster or 40 man. Sooooo, semantically, keeping Baez but placing him on the 60 day DL (and collecting any insurance) = off the roster. :cool:

Unless he gets a NTC like MelMo. ;)

This might end up being a very shrewd move on MacPhail’s part. Maybe offering Bedard an overly generous and more-than-fair deal (only to have him decline) sends a message? Message to the fans that we’re willing to pay (and makes Bedard look like the proverbial bad guy). And a message to other players that we are serious about “taking care of our own”?

EDIT: While composing this, I saw that others picked up on the PR move aspect. Glad I’m not the only one thinking along these lines…. :D

Well, one thing that inevitably seems to get lost in this story is that Bedard left the team with the club’s permission. If they thought EB should work his butt off like Guts or even stick around for the sole purpose of cheerleading, then they shouldn’t have OK’d his departure.

Again, this "granting permission to leave" angle may just be another PR nail in Bedard’s coffin. It's interesting to me that despite having the club’s permission to leave, Bedard seems to be getting raked over the coals for this move. :confused:

Witchy

So Millar dioes something "with the FO's approval" and he's a ba$tard! Bedard does something "with the FO's approval" and we should look the other way? I'm not sure I follow your logic this time Witchy?:confused:

Playing just a little bit of a devil's advocate here. That's all well and good so far...MacPhail resolved the manager situation...fired and hired some coaches and minor league staff...made some changes to the front office. As far as the players go though, there hasn't been anything major attempted by MacPhail yet...just a trade of Trachsel, some waiver-wire pickups, and trimming the 40-man roster.

I truly believe PA will stay in the background and let MacPhail do his thing, but until something major happens player-wise, it is hard to be 100% positive of that.

Archived