For What It's Worth...

Belkast

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regarding an extension or regarding a trade?

This first part, hopefully. They feel it would be wise if O's made some sort of offer this offseason or its going to be hard to convince Erik to stay. Its pretty much Erik's call. My guys agency, they dont really tell their clients what to take and what not to take. Its up to the client. Unlike Boras. The O's have got to show Erik that they are serious about winning and keeping him.

As in they are ready to hear what the Orioles have to offer.

And he should be.

Maybe he would rather play in Toronto, but his first priority is financial security.

He will be 29 before opening day and he has yet to pitch a whole season. Durability isn't his strong suit.

His value may never be higher than right now so it would be a risky roll of the dice, imo, for him to wait two more seasons to hit FA.

Thanks for the info Belkast, would be interested to hear your guy's take on A-Rod. Millar should be traded and I'd be looking to move him to the Mets or Yankees. Maybe we could get Austin Jackson back for him, or here's a thought - Millar for Mussina + $. I'd look to take back Delgado and try to pry away Milledge not just for Millar mind you but a Millar and Hernandez package with a reliever.

First the players that we will attempt to get off of next years roster. Gibbons,Payton,Hernandez ,1 of Millar/Huff, Tejada, and Baez.

This struck my interest. Who has more value? I believe it is Huff if the money is even. By this I mean Huff could bring a decent return if the Orioles are willing to pay half his contract. At Millar's age I don't see him bringing much of a return until some team is desperate for depth and "playoff experience" at the deadline.

Thanks for the info Belkast, would be interested to hear your guy's take on A-Rod. Millar should be traded and I'd be looking to move him to the Mets or Yankees. Maybe we could get Austin Jackson back for him, or here's a thought - Millar for Mussina + $. I'd look to take back Delgado and try to pry away Milledge not just for Millar mind you but a Millar and Hernandez package with a reliever.

ARod is not coming here!!!!

Peace do you have any idea on what type of contract Bedard is looking at? would 4 years/45 million be in the range?

Oh, come on, if Peace has ties to Bedard's agent he's sure not going to pass out this kind of information even if he knows it (which I doubt).

I think Bedard could command more than 4/$45 mm, but that certainly should be enough of an offer to lead to serious discussions, unless Bedard is hell-bent on getting out of town.

I know I'm not Peace but that's not even close!
Wow, they are preparing a bigger offer than that? Is that something you are hearing, or just what you think it will take?

4/$48M is a very fair opening offer. People always forget that Bedard won't get FA money the first two years of a deal. He'd probabyl get about $7-8M in arb this year, and then maybe $10-11M next season, and those are high estimates. So he'd get about $18M total over the first two seasons of an extension. Then pay him $15-18M for each FA year bought out.

So offer him $7M, $11M, $15M, $18M. 4/$51M, and that is likely on the high side. Throw in a $19M option or a $1M buyout, and it becomes a 4/$52M or 5/$70M deal, very fair offer.

Probably Zito-ish cash would be necessary, with an extra year.
For the FA years sure, but there is a 0% chance he gets that type of money over the next two years. He won't be expecting to get it either, unless he is hellbent on leaving town. His agents will be intelligent enough to know that nobody gets FA year money during the arb years of a contract extension. It has never happened in MLB history, and Bedard certainly won't be the first.

here's a thought - Millar for Mussina + $.

Millar in pinstripes. Boston is pissed.

Mussina returns to Baltimore. No Mike, the fans aren't yelling "Moooooose" this time.

It would certainly stir the pot wouldn't it.

Not sure this has much effect on the field, but quite a media splash.

Archived