For What It's Worth...

Belkast

I cant really leak that kind of info yet.

But what I can tell you is, Bedard doesnt really like it here in Baltimore. We could all guess that. But the O's are the ones that will have to beg here. If they really want to bring Bedard back they have to build a winner, and offer him something to what Zito got or even more. Bedard if and when he makes it to FA, he will become the highest paid starter in the league.

Well, if his representation thinks he should be paid what Zito got, with 2 years left before FA, then they are off their rocker.

I just hope the Orioles aren't dumb enough to do that.

I don't think there is one pitcher in all of baseball i would give a guaranteed, big money deal to for 5 or more years, much less someone who has had injury issues, is goign to be pitching most of his contract into his 30s and is ona team where his value in trade is more than what he does on the mound.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This may be the most important post in the thread. Having the right manager in place could lead to a long managerial tenure, which would mean the team is doing well, and had made the right managerial choice. I'd like nothing better than to see Trembley retire after 15 sucessful years helming this ship. It would mean that our curse had been reversed.

All he needs is the players.

Oh, well if that's all we need, we are in fine shape! :rolleyes::D

Belkast, thanks as always for the info. You too Peace.

As for ARod, as much as I would LOVE to have him, the other, more cynical side of me hopes that we stay away from him so that we aren't the ones who are raising the bar in player salaries once again. Plus the stunt he and Boras pulled in game 4 of the World Series really pissed me off. I am a Die Hard Orioles fan, but a baseball fan first and foremost, and what ARod did was a slap in the face to every baseball loving fan out there! If we sign him, great, but if Belkast is right (and he DOES seem adamant about it) then I have no problme with us staying far away from ARod and his self emposed "me first" attitude. He's a great player, one of the best of all time, but he sure as hell is not bigger than the game!

Well, if his representation thinks he should be paid what Zito got, with 2 years left before FA, then they are off their rocker.

I don't think there is one pitcher in all of baseball i would give a guaranteed, big money deal to for 5 or more years, much less someone who has had injury issues, is goign to be pitching most of his contract into his 30s and is ona team where his value in trade is more than what he does on the mound.

I don't think we would really have to worry about what he gets. All indications say he does not want to be here anyway.

No no i meant when he becomes a FA.

But what I can tell you is, Bedard doesnt really like it here in Baltimore. We could all guess that. But the O's are the ones that will have to beg here. If they really want to bring Bedard back they have to build a winner, and offer him something to what Zito got or even more. Bedard if and when he makes it to FA, he will become the highest paid starter in the league.

Trading him for a ransom is our best option.

I don't think we would really have to worry about what he gets. All indications say he does not want to be here anyway.

So, do you think he is a goner?

Seems to me you are saying we will offer him something, know that he won't accept and then trade him to the highest bidder.

If this is true, Bedard would definitely be traded this offseason if I were the GM.
Agreed, I'd probably be willing to go a few million higher than the numbers I stated before, but any higher than that and trading him becomes the better option. It might be the better option even at the prices I mentioned before.

So, do you think he is a goner?

Seems to me you are saying we will offer him something, know that he won't accept and then trade him to the highest bidder.

That is how I would expect things to play out...Yes. I don't know if he would be traded this winter but I would think by the trading deadline anyway.

There's no way Bedard should or will be the highest paid starter in the league. He's a very good pitcher, but not really in the very top group, particularly when you factor in the age at which he reached his current level (which he has only achieved for one year) and the stamina/durability issues. There should be no begging going on. As a fan I don't want players on my team who don't want to be there and as an observer of the game I don't think guys who are just mercenaries and don't really want to be where they are have the same ability to dig down deep in a big situation as a guy who is really excited about the situation he's in for more reasons than just the money. I'm not trying to knock Bedard, I just don't think he and the O's are going to work out long term. They need to take advantage of his career season and the weak free agent market and trade him while the market is hot. Offering him an extension is an exercise in futility because if you overpay enough for him to accept, you'll have a bad contract that keeps you from doing other things you need to do.

Agreed, I'd probably be willing to go a few million higher than the numbers I stated before, but any higher than that and trading him becomes the better option. It might be the better option even at the prices I mentioned before.

As soon as 5 or more years are requested, i say no deal.

Thanks for the continued info Belkast. Anyone, does Baez need to be on the 40 man roster for the O's to collect insurance? We may need the room if that is the case.
Yes, but he can be placed on the 60-man once the season starts, which then wouldn't count against the 40-man roster.

Archived