Impressions from the B Team - Red Sox game

Frobby

This...

I can't put Bell or Reimold on the bench if they aren't starting 4+ games per week. Use their options and let them continue to develop playing every day.

Reimold led the team in OPS in 2009, in over 450 AB's

He deserves to be on this team now.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People realize that Reimold is actually a few months older than Reynolds right? Is the question really about him developing or proving last year was behind him?

If Buck thinks last year is behind him, his track record shows a lot of similarity to Reynolds. A decent eye, good power, mediocre defense.

The only reason to send Reimold down IMO is if you actually have questions about his bounce back.

Well I am 39 so 27 is young to me.:) I would just rather see Reimold playing every day rather than once or twice a week. I think he should be an everyday player for us but barring injury that isn't going to happen this year. As for Bell, he should definitely be down in AAA playing every day and I think we agree on this issue.

Well I am 39 so 27 is young to me.:) I would just rather see Reimold playing every day rather than once or twice a week. I think he should be an everyday player for us but barring injury that isn't going to happen this year. As for Bell, he should definitely be down in AAA playing every day and I think we agree on this issue.

Right but do you really think Reimold is going to 'learn' more by playing every day in the MiLB right now? Or do you think valuable MLB at bats and experience around MLB coaching could help him more?

If we send him down and he's doing really well should we bring him back up at that point? Let's say he just rakes for 20 days. Do you advocate bringing him up for part time play at that point?

Bell looks like a real ballplayer, the guy we were hoping to see when he showed up last summer. He has apparently been having solid ABs all spring. I think Presley or someone is working with him: he looks like a hitter in the midst of a hitting revamp.

He spent the winter working with Brady Anderson.

So because of 2009 he deserves to be on the 2011 team? I think his ceiling is that of an everyday player and he won't be one on this year's team, barring injury and will be wasted on the bench, imo. Unless he gets to play 4-5 days a week then I don't want him on the team. I want him in AAA playing every day until an everyday spot opens for him.

And there have been many players over the years who have deserved to make a team but don't because of a littany of issues such as need. I also have no problem with a player forcing his way onto a team, which is what he did in 2009.

I don't disagree with you...but he isn't going to play enough right now to justify him being here.

Just have to let things play out.

This is why I was personally against the Vlad signing.(well really, against keeping Scott)

Right but do you really think Reimold is going to 'learn' more by playing every day in the MiLB right now? Or do you think valuable MLB at bats and experience around MLB coaching could help him more?

If we send him down and he's doing really well should we bring him back up at that point? Let's say he just rakes for 20 days. Do you advocate bringing him up for part time play at that point?

That is the rub because I do expect him to go to AAA and force them to bring him back up, ala 2009. I'll be damned if I know what is going to happen. I really wish AM would have just traded Luke Scott and opened up LF to a battle between Reimold and Pie and then this issue would be moot. I don't have a problem with him being on the bench if he is going to get 4-5 games a week but I just don't see how that is possible. What do you think they should do?

He deserves to play, very regularly, somewhere, and it won't be here, barring injury. And then he can prove he is still that player he was in 2009. So far he has me optimistic, but it is MARCH 10th.

Well it seems possible that Derrick Lee will miss opening day.

I'll be very happy with Scott at 1B (not really), and Reimold in LF, with Pie as the 4th OF'er.

I have been a strong proponent of Reimold for 5 years now, ever since I saw him hit a 450' HR to dead center field. He has rare bat speed and a good eye.

Well it seems possible that Derrick Lee will miss opening day.

I'll be very happy with Scott at 1B (not really), and Reimold in LF, with Pie as the 4th OF'er.

I have been a strong proponent of Reimold for 5 years now, ever since I saw him hit a 450' HR to dead center field. He has rare bat speed and a good eye.

Possible but unlikely..but sure, if Lee has to start the year on the DL, then I think you will see Reimold in LF on OD.

That is the rub because I do expect him to go to AAA and force them to bring him back up, ala 2009. I'll be damned if I know what is going to happen. I really wish AM would have just traded Luke Scott and opened up LF to a battle between Reimold and Pie and then this issue would be moot. I don't have a problem with him being on the bench if he is going to get 4-5 games a week but I just don't see how that is possible. What do you think they should do?

I just don't get, "if he gets enough at bats to be valuable" line.

He's a talent hitter, a good OPS, and a hustler. It seems very few people seem to think he has anything left to prove in the MiLBs. I don't think he's going to lose his edge or become terrible riding the pine for 3-4 days a week in the majors.

If he can help us win games I don't see the potential regression argument having much weight.

VS. say Tillman, he's a guy who needs repetitions. He's got something he needs to work on and he's got a lot to prove. If Tillman went through a period where he was dominant like Matusz was even for just 1/4 of the time, I think we'd find a spot for him here too because it wouldn't be so much about development, but more just at bats.

I'll say this Reimold doesn't need to develop, so he should be where ever he can help the current MLB team the most. It'd be like saying, Bell is playing well, we should send down Reynolds to let him work on not striking out. Yeah there is something Reynolds could do in the minors, but does his presence in the MLB help us win games.

I don't think Reimold can grow more than he can help us at the MLB level right now. So I say don't carry Tatum and let him be on the MLB roster.

He had 358 AB's in 2009. He also was awful last year in AAA. There is no deserves to be on the team for Reimold.

Meh...I think this is a bit short sited. It's pretty clear Reimold had some things be it injury or be it personal going on.

You're talking about a guy in ST right now that:

320/433/600.

Then again by your logic, I don't think there is much deserves for Pie to be on this team either. But we need him to backup CF.

The depth of this team with a guy like Reimold here vs a guy like Tatum makes a huge difference to me in terms of options for Buck and games we have a chance to win. Don't judge Reimold just on last year...or on two years ago.

But your point is valid, he sucked last year.

He spent the winter working with Brady Anderson.

This looks like an ongoing project to me, though. He looks almost deliberate in his mechanics, like somebody who just spent the morning hitting about 500 balls off the tee, working on certain movements.

He was not turning his swing loose, if that makes any sense. He looks like he's about 80 per cent of the way through a thorough program, and that he is doing a really good job at it. It's almost like a pitcher working on mechanics and throwing with about three-quarter effort.

For a power hitter, the last step is to really start cranking with the bat speed when he gets his pitch. He didn't look ready to do that last night, but I won't be surprised to see a ball clear the fence one day soon. I hope he continues to get regular PAs for at least the next week or so.

Archived