Using Kenpom.com to determine winner for your bracket

Sports Guy

http://kenpom.com/index.php?y=2011

Not sure if you have ever used this site or not but this is pretty much a sabermetric way of looking at teams in CBB.

Since 2003, the team that finished first in his standings has won the title 6 times. Of the other 3, 2 of the winners were second in his standings.

Only Syracuse didn't meet that criteria and they were 7th...beating #1 Kansas.

Its pretty accurate and 2 of his biggest factors are offensive and defensive efficiency.

This year, Ohio St appears to be the team he feels should win the title. I tend to agree with that.

It may also be a good tool to use when filling out your bracket and attempting to pick upsets.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://kenpom.com/index.php?y=2011

Not sure if you have ever used this site or not but this is pretty much a sabermetric way of looking at teams in CBB.

Since 2003, the team that finished first in his standings has won the title 6 times. Of the other 3, 2 of the winners were second in his standings.

Only Syracuse didn't meet that criteria and they were 7th...beating #1 Kansas.

Its pretty accurate and 2 of his biggest factors are offensive and defensive efficiency.

This year, Ohio St appears to be the team he feels should win the title. I tend to agree with that.

It may also be a good tool to use when filling out your bracket and attempting to pick upsets.

Good site.

And it ranks VT 30th. But, of course, they shouldn't be in the field. :rolleyestf:

Good site.

And it ranks VT 30th. But, of course, they shouldn't be in the field. :rolleyestf:

Jay Bilas, who I think is an excellent analyst, named this site as one of the tools he thinks the committee should be using...How its a far better measure of who is better compared to something like the RPI.

Rolled eyes aside, you are right about VT. They shouldn't be in. Tell Seth to schedule tougher OOC games.

Please. They are more deserving than VCU and UAB. If you want to argue Colorado and BC are more deserving, I'm all ears. But to exclude them and give a slot to VCU and UAB is ludicrous.

And we were told by the committee last year to bump up the non-conference schedule and we did. Hell, we played Kansas State, Purdue, Oklahoma State, UNLV, Penn State, St. Bonaventure, and Mississippi State. Not exactly cream puff city.

And we swept FSU (a tourney team) and beat Duke.

Please. They are more deserving than VCU and UAB. If you want to argue Colorado and BC are more deserving, I'm all ears. But to exclude them and give a slot to VCU and UAB is ludicrous.

And we were told by the committee last year to bump up the non-conference schedule and we did. Hell, we played Kansas State, Purdue, Oklahoma State, UNLV, Penn State, St. Bonaventure, and Mississippi State. Not exactly cream puff city.

I love all the VCU and UAB hate. How come no hate for Clemson or Georgia?

When you are comparing your season to UAB's and VCU's, it tells you all you need to know about the type of season you had.

When you are comparing your season to UAB's and VCU's, it tells you all you need to know about the type of season you had.

That makes no sense. They're comparing to those teams because they got in the tournament. It's like comparing to Clemson or Marquette.

It would have been nice for Haaaaaaaarvard to get in, too.

Its not hate...Its just how it is. Those teams shouldn't be in the tourney over some of the other schools.

Georgia should be in.

I know it's not "hate", but everyone is giving Vcu a hard time, like we stole Tech's bid. What about Michigan State, Clemson, or Penn State? And no one mentions USC, they lost to 3 teams outside the top 200 RPI.

That makes no sense. They're comparing to those teams because they got in the tournament. It's like comparing to Clemson or Marquette.

It would have been nice for Haaaaaaaarvard to get in, too.

But that is my point. Both VCU and UAB are really undeserving of getting in, IMO. VT was lumped into that group as well. VT did not deserve to get in. I would feel the same way about them if the committee said they were in.

I really don't want to hear all the complaining from VT to be honest. Schedule some harder games, don't rely on the ACC to get you in and maybe you won't have this issue.

Fool me once... What is it for three times?

But that is my point. Both VCU and UAB are really undeserving of getting in, IMO. VT was lumped into that group as well. VT did not deserve to get in. I would feel the same way about them if the committee said they were in.

I really don't want to hear all the complaining from VT to be honest. Schedule some harder games, don't rely on the ACC to get you in and maybe you won't have this issue.

Fool me once... What is it for three times?

So PSU, MSST (they couldn't have predicted Hurricane Sidney, really), Purdue (once again, couldn't predict Hummel), OKST, K-State and UNLV isn't a decent OOC schedule?

Archived