Article on why Gary needs to be fired

Another question - can anyone think of an example where a coach in his mid-60's was able to reenergize a program that had taken a step back?

Guys like Dean Smith and Lute Olson didn't really see much drop off before they retired.

Denny Crum turned 60 and went from a perennial NCAA contender to a team that missed the tournament 2 out of 4 years and never made it past the first round in the NCAA. Pitino replaced him.

John Chaney had 4 straight trips to the NCAA, including 2 to the Elite Eight, but he finished his career with 5 straight NIT trips and never turned it around.

Lou Carnesecca made the NCAA 10 out of his last 11 years and retired at the age of 60 after getting bounced in the first round of the NCAA.

The closest I can think is Jim Boeheim, and he only went through a 4 year stretch with 2 first-round NCAA eliminations and 2 NIT bids. He's turned that around somewhat with 3 straight tourney visits, including 2 sweet sixteens. I would argue Syracuse did not take as long a step back as we have.

Am I missing someone? Are we expecting Gary to do something that's never been done by a man his age?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But humor me. Who would realistically come here and instantly improve the recruiting while also making sure the $$$ kept coming in?

Does fundraising matter to the athletic department? One could say that hiring Edsall wasn't exactly a splashy hire. I'm guessing that Anderson figured that if he got a good coach and won games that the stadium would fill and the fundraising would take care of itself.

Not that he'd ever come to MD but Brad Stevens of Butler seems to be the hot name right now. He'll probably have his choice of jobs, the question is if he gives Butler another year.

Another question - can anyone think of an example where a coach in his mid-60's was able to reenergize a program that had taken a step back?

Guys like Dean Smith and Lute Olson didn't really see much drop off before they retired.

Denny Crum turned 60 and went from a perennial NCAA contender to a team that missed the tournament 2 out of 4 years and never made it past the first round in the NCAA. Pitino replaced him.

John Chaney had 4 straight trips to the NCAA, including 2 to the Elite Eight, but he finished his career with 5 straight NIT trips and never turned it around.

Lou Carnesecca made the NCAA 10 out of his last 11 years and retired at the age of 60 after getting bounced in the first round of the NCAA.

The closest I can think is Jim Boeheim, and he only went through a 4 year stretch with 2 first-round NCAA eliminations and 2 NIT bids. He's turned that around somewhat with 3 straight tourney visits, including 2 sweet sixteens. I would argue Syracuse did not take as long a step back as we have.

Am I missing someone? Are we expecting Gary to do something that's never been done by a man his age?

That's a definite question.

Depending on whether you are willing to cross sports, you can use Joe Paterno as an example. He went from going four-of-five seasons under-.500 early this decade to five straight with at least nine wins (thrice with eleven, too).

But that is surely an extreme case due to his age and that college.

Does fundraising matter to the athletic department? One could say that hiring Edsall wasn't exactly a splashy hire. I'm guessing that Anderson figured that if he got a good coach and won games that the stadium would fill and the fundraising would take care of itself.

Not that he'd ever come to MD but Brad Stevens of Butler seems to be the hot name right now. He'll probably have his choice of jobs, the question is if he gives Butler another year.

Just curious...if Gary were to retire tomorrow and the MD head coaching job were available, what other jobs would be available that would be more attractive to a guy like Stevens?

Seems to me that he'd have a recruiting warehouse in his backyard and be in the top college basketball conference (at least by reputation) in the country. I'm not sure there would be any more attractive, available job in the country right now.

Just curious...if Gary were to retire tomorrow and the MD head coaching job were available, what other jobs would be available that would be more attractive to a guy like Stevens?

Seems to me that he'd have a recruiting warehouse in his backyard and be in the top college basketball conference (at least by reputation) in the country. I'm not sure there would be any more attractive, available job in the country right now.

That's not really a fair question. I mean, this isn't an open position itself right now, and how many other schools are looking for coaches? At the high-major level its a couple schools like Georgia Tech, NC State and Tennessee, and then you get down into places like Towson. It isn't a fair fight.

The hypothetical would have to be more like what schools he would pick ahead of Maryland if he had the choice of any job.

Tennessee could be an attractive job. The SEC is a great conference, virtually unlimited resources, no need to worry about high admissions standards being an obstacle for potential recruits. Athletics is what matters there. But...there's also the uncertainty of what they might get from the NCAA from Bruce Pearl's misdeeds.

You're right though, not many great jobs that are open. He's probably best to stay put through next year as he's turned Butler into a very good program.

Stevens signed a 12-year deal with Butler after his NCAA run last year. Obviously, he could have written his ticket out of town then if he had wanted to. My guess is he is there for the long haul.

Stevens signed a 12-year deal with Butler after his NCAA run last year. Obviously, he could have written his ticket out of town then if he had wanted to. My guess is he is there for the long haul.

I'd love to see it, that is, him stay at Butler. There's something to be said for loyalty.

However, most coaches are wired to want to be the best at their profession, always climbing until they reach the "top". For some guys that means coaching in the pros and for others it means coaching at a top college job like Kansas, Indiana, etc. I don't know the guy but I'd be surprised if he stayed at Butler the length of his contract. I'm sure there are outs in his contract.

Everyone is loyal...until they get a better offer. ;)

I'd love to see it, that is, him stay at Butler. There's something to be said for loyalty.

However, most coaches are wired to want to be the best at their profession, always climbing until they reach the "top". For some guys that means coaching in the pros and for others it means coaching at a top college job like Kansas, Indiana, etc. I don't know the guy but I'd be surprised if he stayed at Butler the length of his contract. I'm sure there are outs in his contract.

Everyone is loyal...until they get a better offer. ;)

Do you not think Stevens could have gotten a better offer after going to the finals last year? I am not saying it's 100% certain he'll stay, I'm just saying that he's already forgone the opportunity to move at a time when he couldn't have been a hotter commodity.

By the way, if I thought Maryland could nab him, yeah, I'd be all over it.

Tennessee could be an attractive job. The SEC is a great conference, virtually unlimited resources, no need to worry about high admissions standards being an obstacle for potential recruits. Athletics is what matters there. But...there's also the uncertainty of what they might get from the NCAA from Bruce Pearl's misdeeds.

You're right though, not many great jobs that are open. He's probably best to stay put through next year as he's turned Butler into a very good program.

The downside to Tennessee is you are 3rd fiddle as the men's basketball coach behind football and Pat Summit and womens hoops.

Stevens could turn Butler into a force. He shouldn't leave except for a school like Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, or UNC. There may be one or two others, but it's a short list. I hear NC State fans talking about Stevens. It's the same for MD fans. He would be foolish to leave Butler right now for schools like this. Yes, they are in a historically great conference, but Butler right now has a better program than any ACC school except Duke and UNC. That may change in a few years, but there is no reason he should leave.

Why wouldn't Stevens come to MD?

MD may not be a destination job like a Duke or UNC but MD can offer him a lot if they want to.

Why wouldn't Stevens come to MD?

MD may not be a destination job like a Duke or UNC but MD can offer him a lot if they want to.

Agreed. If Gary were to retire now, I can't think of a better job opening for a guy like Stevens, if he were interested. Loads of talent in the area, a very good tradition, and excellent facilities would make MD a very desirable destination for him.

Stevens signed a 10 year extension last year right?

He has taken that team to back to back Final Fours. His ability to recruit will increase. He stay in the Horizon and be the unquestioned leader and not be pressured. I do not see him leaving for anywhere.

I also agree with this. I don't think he wants or needs to leave. He'll be able to recruit just fine with his track record.

The factors that motivate a coach to stay in a position or change jobs is very different for each, and very interesting.

60 Minutes did a story last night on Bobby Hurley Sr., and one of the topics covered was how he has received many offers to coach at colleges, and even larger high schools than a small Catholic school in inner-city Jersey City. Yet he feels his place is there.

From what I remember reading about Gary Williams and his time at Ohio State, he was perfectly content to remain there for at least a little while, and only left because the Maryland job came along.

Stevens could be completely content as the top college team in a major city, competing with two other storied programs in his home state. Or he could be biding his time until just the right job comes along, like Duke or Kansas.

Archived