Mets release Perez, still owe 12 Million

MikeAD

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=6242549

Thats 18 Million between Castillo (who was cut late last week) and Perez.

I would like to think that Perez puts it back together. I always thought he could be a serviceable pitcher. Someone will pick him up, Castillo already got a minor league deal with the Phillies. Maybe Perez goes to Colorado and pitches alongside John Maine in AAA.

Thats a lot of money to throw out the window.

Well luckily Anderson doesn't have any attachment to those poor deals. I am glad he stood his ground and got rid of them instead of keeping them on the roster because of their deals.

Now, their replacements aren't that great, such as Luis Hernandez or Brad Emaus replacing Castillo, but that is another argument.

It will be interesting to see what the Phillies do with Castillo when Utley comes back. He won't be a good utility person so I could see them just releasing him when Utley is back.

Well luckily Anderson doesn't have any attachment to those poor deals. I am glad he stood his ground and got rid of them instead of keeping them on the roster because of their deals.

Now, their replacements aren't that great, such as Luis Hernandez or Brad Emaus replacing Castillo, but that is another argument.

It will be interesting to see what the Phillies do with Castillo when Utley comes back. He won't be a good utility person so I could see them just releasing him when Utley is back.

The Perez deal was just something awful. He was coming off his most innings pitched at 194 in 2008 but he hadn't really ever put it together. 12 million a year over 3 years seemed silly.

The Perez deal was just something awful. He was coming off his most innings pitched at 194 in 2008 but he hadn't really ever put it together. 12 million a year over 3 years seemed silly.

It was absurd, of course. Through 2006 he was 30-43 with an ERA+ of 90 and 4.9 BB/9. And that included his really good age 22 season.

I blame it on Randy Johnson and Sandy Koufax. If they could go from wild, mediocre pitchers to HOFers in one fell swoop, why not any guy who kinda, sorta fits the mold? Hope springs eternal, and you'll often find one out of 30 GMs who believe that an out-of-character career year is really just another step towards immortality.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived