Adam Loewen article

Frobby

I know I shouldn't root against people but in his case I can't help but make an exception.

I hope he fails.

There I said it.

I have nothing personal against the guy. He preferred to play for the team he grew up rooting for, and I can live with that. However, the team he plays for is one of our competitors, so I have to hope he doesn't turn into anything special for that reason.

He'll be 27 this April, and still has at least another year of toil in the minors in front of him. The odds that he is going to be an impact major leaguer as a hitter are pretty long at this point.

If not for the injuries, what kind of career do you think he would have had so far? I say around 4.25-4.50 ERA, with BB being his biggest problem and what keeps him from being a TOR SP.

Totally guessing, but I think he could have been a bit better than that. He had a certain bulldog mentality that I really liked. But there's really no way to know.

He had a really great spring in 2007 -- 1.42 ERA, only 12 hits in 19 innings. I really thought he was going to have a breakout season. A month later, his pitching career was essentially over, though we didn't know it then.

I have nothing personal against the guy. He preferred to play for the team he grew up rooting for, and I can live with that. However, the team he plays for is one of our competitors, so I have to hope he doesn't turn into anything special for that reason.

He'll be 27 this April, and still has at least another year of toil in the minors in front of him. The odds that he is going to be an impact major leaguer as a hitter are pretty long at this point.

I have nothing against him for wanting to sign with the Jays.

I have a BIG problem with him giving the Orioles a verbal committment to renogiate his contract as a hitter, then joining the competition.

I wish him nothing but roadbumps in his career.

I really don't get the hatred toward Loewen.

From an impartial standpoint, I've seen him hit a handful of times this spring. Above average power, patient approach, well below average bat control/hit. He could end up being a .240/.330/.420 guy, but I wouldn't bet on it. Not exactly a TTO guy, as the contact issues prevent him from manifesting pure HR power. It'll be interesting to see how he handles AAA this season.

It's somewhat of a make or break year for him, as his time for turning into a ML'er is close to running out. He doesn't have much positional value, so the chances that he'll hit enough to stick in MLB are very slim. I will say that he's outperformed my very modest expectations of him to this point.

Archived