Are Baltimore fans hostile to Female Reporters?

Gurgi

Are Baltimore fans Neanderthals?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Are Baltimore fans Neanderthals?

• Yes we are savage to female reporters and its uncalled for.
    • We are savage to all reporters regardless of sex.
    • Baltimore has just had bad luck to have lesser talented women reporters.
    • Reporters shouldnt get into public brawls with the fans.
    • Who is Jen Royle and Anita Marks? I dont remember them.

I just got through an long thread on Jen Royle at the Masn site.

http://www.masnsports.com/the_royle_rundown/2011/02/its-baseball-people-be-kind.html

It seems she thinks "WE" Baltimore Oriole fans are attacking her in a rude and uncalled for way. She seems to suggest she should be free to attack Baltimore Oriole fans and gets very upset when we attack back.

I personally have never sent her any rude comments. I have made a snarky comment on the OH before however.

Anita Marks also had huge problems in Baltimore. She didnt see to get us and we didnt get her.

Amber Theoharris on the other hand gets none or very little in critical attacks.

So what is it? Are we Neanderthals? Or do these two hardworking ladies just not understand Baltimore?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless I missed something I'm not sure why you put in Female Reporters. It doesn't seem to be anything related to her being female. It seems to be more about from being outside of Baltimore and I do think people from Baltimore are over critical of people from outside of Baltimore.

I think the people writing crap to and about her are idiots but she's also going to have to toughen up or learn to ignore them better because I don't see it stopping soon.

I just got through an long thread on Jen Royle at the Masn site.

http://www.masnsports.com/the_royle_rundown/2011/02/its-baseball-people-be-kind.html

It seems she thinks "WE" Baltimore Oriole fans are attacking her in a rude and uncalled for way. She seems to suggest she should be free to attack Baltimore Oriole fans and gets very upset when we attack back.

I personally have never sent her any rude comments. I have made a snarky comment on the OH before however.

Anita Marks also had huge problems in Baltimore. She didnt see to get us and we didnt get her.

Amber Theoharris on the other hand gets none or very little in critical attacks.

So what is it? Are we Neanderthals? Or do these two hardworking ladies just not understand Baltimore?

Let's just say she should be glad she's not a guy named "Nasty". That alone should end any argument on the subject.

If you act like a jackass, you will get called on it by the fans.

I'm not going to click on the link, so I need to ask: did she make the suggestion that it could be a gender issue or was that a connection you made?

Let's just say she should be glad she's not a guy named "Nasty". That alone should end any argument on the subject.

If you act like a jackass, you will get called on it by the fans.

I'm not going to click on the link, so I need to ask: did she make the suggestion that it could be a gender issue or was that a connection you made?

I think it might of been my own connection after seeing Anita Marks and her issues here. I think Anita thought this more than has been expressed by Jen.

Unless I missed something I'm not sure why you put in Female Reporters. It doesn't seem to be anything related to her being female. It seems to be more about from being outside of Baltimore and I do think people from Baltimore are over critical of people from outside of Baltimore.

I think the people writing crap to and about her are idiots but she's also going to have to toughen up or learn to ignore them better because I don't see it stopping soon.

To be fair, she's not just any outsider; she's a YANKEE outsider. From some of what I've read from her both in her blog and the short time I followed her on Twitter she has a finely developed, almost Mosby-an snobbery when it comes to her former beat. So I have to think that anything she is getting from Orioles fans is brought on by her own writing.

I don't know too much about her. Isn't she gone from MASN starting opening day only on 105.7?

You know I dont know. I think she is fine as an interviewer but not as good as Amber. So you think Masn isnt carrying two female Oriole roving reporters?

You know I dont know. I think she is fine as an interviewer but not as good as Amber. So you think Masn isnt carrying two female Oriole roving reporters?

http://baltimoresportsreport.com/jen-royle-parting-ways-with-masn-staying-with-105-7-14137.html

"Earlier today, Jen Royle announced via her Twitter account (@JenRoyleMASN, which is sure to change as well) that she will be leaving her position with MASN Sports officially on March 31st and accepting a role with 105.7 The Fan. "

To be fair, she's not just any outsider; she's a YANKEE outsider. From some of what I've read from her both in her blog and the short time I followed her on Twitter she has a finely developed, almost Mosby-an snobbery when it comes to her former beat. So I have to think that anything she is getting from Orioles fans is brought on by her own writing.

Well the only time I've seen/heard her was on The Scott Garceau Show and I didn't really see a problem with her.

Sounds like Anita with the Miami thing.

I don't understand why people have an issue with people bringing up things from their personal experience. She apparently spent a lot of time in NY and that's where her experience is, so it comes up. Just like how Anita was from Miami so she brought up her Miami experiences. I don't understand why that's a bad thing. Would you rather she acted like she was born and raised in Baltimore when she wasn't? Or be an Orioles homer?

I also kinda remember a quote from her that it was her decision to move to Baltimore. That she was tired of being a little fish in a big lake and wanted to be the big fish in a small pond.

That already rubs me the wrong way a little. Even if it is true you really aught not to say it.

I remember when Anita was still here and had Scott as a coanchor. They would bring down Jen and Scott would be bored and flippant and Anita would talk about what expensive bottle of wine she was drinking that night. It would be the girls and grandpa hour. The feeling of distrust and disdain was thick on those shows.

Good times.:rolleyes:

I think it might of been my own connection after seeing Anita Marks and her issues here. I think Anita thought this more than has been expressed by Jen.

Well she had the same issue: she was an outsider brought in to cover the local teams, she was mediocre at that job, and she let how much of an outsider she really was shine through in a very insular community. Worse, she was not only over-promoted within the community instead of building an audience, but she never shook the rumors that she was an ESPN hire only using Baltimore as a stepping stone.

I don't think you have to be a guy who grew up in Highlandtown, graduated from Poly and Towson, and spent their entire life inside the Beltway to cover Baltimore sports well. But I do think you have to be able to understand not only the teams you are covering, but the people you are informing as well. If you lose their trust it will be very hard getting it back: if you do it by basically insulting who they are, there's no chance.

Laura Vescey is another example. She had that article from the Ravens Super Bowl run that followed her from Seattle to Baltimore when she moved, and never got back the trust of the readers.

Laura Vescey is another example. She had that article from the Ravens Super Bowl run that followed her from Seattle to Baltimore when she moved, and never got back the trust of the readers.

Laura was a political hire. She went at sports from a political angle. Not what the average Baltimore fan wants in his sports coverage.

We broke her confidence. I think she didnt even do anything for a couple of years after.

I used to think that most sports reporting was bad (same rehashed storylines over and over again, same vapid questions: "So when you scored the winning goal, was that a big deal for you and the team?"). Then I read a few things by Jen Royle. Now I know how much worse it can be.

On the plus side, she's really made me appreciate Roch, the Sun reporters, and the writers here at OH.

Also, I got a chuckle out of this a couple of times: http://twitter.com/NOTjenroylemasn

Archived