Are Baltimore fans hostile to Female Reporters?

Gurgi

Are Baltimore fans Neanderthals?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Are Baltimore fans Neanderthals?

• Yes we are savage to female reporters and its uncalled for.
    • We are savage to all reporters regardless of sex.
    • Baltimore has just had bad luck to have lesser talented women reporters.
    • Reporters shouldnt get into public brawls with the fans.
    • Who is Jen Royle and Anita Marks? I dont remember them.

Since he already had that level of trust built up, though, he didn't lose his audience. People kept coming back and things worked themselves out.

Or they decided that he's good for some info, and not necessarily other info. Which could be defined as working themselves out.. so ignore this post. :D

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First of all, Royle and Marks weren't from here, so people just hate because of that.

Secondly, when it came to football, Anita Marks was better than most of the men doing football in the area...She knew nothing about baseball but then again, neither do most of the men doing it either.

I have only heard Jen Royle a few times...But when I did, I was impressed that she seemed to know some stats, ie advanced stats.

I heard her get into with Conn one time and everything she said was dead on and he was just babbling.

Now, I do think she takes the Yankee/Red Sox stuff too far...Its what she knows, its where she came from and I think she needs to remember her audience more.

However, she seems to be more knowledgable about the game as most of the local reporters. Now, you can say that that only means so much but what it means to me is that her content is pretty good. It may be tough to get past the Yankee and Red Sox love but if you can and just view content, she seemed to be pretty good for the few times I heard her.

I think Ghiroli does an excellent job reporting but I don't have a clue as to what her actually knowledge base is. But she is light years ahead of Fordin.

Plus, she ain't too bad to look at. :)

Oh and btw, Royle is leaps and bounds better than ATH IMO. Amber is pretty hot but her interviews are increedible predictable and boring and I would bet that Royle has more knowledge.

This is not your best analysis.

I agree that Marks did a pretty good job with football. I never had strong feelings about her one way or another. ATH does a solid job...no superfluous annotations. Jen Royle's work is superficial at best, and (as Scott mentioned) she practically needs a drool-cup and/or bib when interviewing players. It's disgusting. Britt is head and shoulders above the group. She does an outstanding job.

And sorry, but I always chuckle when I see people misspell words like "knowledgeable."

Jen Royle has gotten a lot of crap on twitter and the internet because she was from :::GASP:: New York and used to cover the Yankees.

Royle had the unmitigated temerity to say how much she liked New York and missed her friends from there.

The crap Royle has gotten from a lot if idiots has been completely uncalled for and makes us look stupid as fans.

Jen Royle has gotten a lot of crap on twitter and the internet because she was from :::GASP:: New York and used to cover the Yankees.

Royle had the unmitigated temerity to say how much she liked New York and missed her friends from there.

The crap Royle has gotten from a lot if idiots has been completely uncalled for and makes us look stupid as fans.

Please refer to the distinguish gentleman from Maryland's response:

I think the worse thing a new reporter can do is talk about their "old place" even if that's where their experience lies. I have no beef with Royal, but she didn't do herself any favors when she was "trying out" for the gig with Garceau and they interviewed Yankees GM Brain Cashman and she called him "Cash." Now I realize being around people in baseball that almost everyone has a nickname and it's easy to start calling them that when interviewing them, but here in Baltimore, the Yankees are THE ENEMY, so it doesn't bode well that you look like you are all chummy-chummy with their GM.

I really don't think issue with Jen is that she's a woman. I say as a female. (I also majored in social work in college, which makes me a bit sensitive to issues like sexism, racism, etc.)

For me, the issue with Jen comes down to professionalism. For the brief time I followed her twitter account, she came off as immature. I just wish she'd realize that just because someone @replies you, doesn't mean you have to respond. And when she did reply, she made personal attacks back. (I went over to her account to find an example. Within the last day or so, someone retweeted the news that she was leaving MASN and added their own comment--"Thank God". Jen wrote a comment back to her with a sarcastic remark about her ability to parent.)

In the post that was linked to by the OP, the things that fans have said to Jen are inappropriate and uncalled for. But don't feed the trolls! The post she wrote does make her out to be a martyr. The comment's she's getting are wrong. But the time she spends fighting back just gives them the attention she wants.

Like others said, I think the fan response to Brittany Ghiroli proves it's not a female thing. Britt is regularly lauded by fans for her great work. And if you follow Britt on twitter, she will occasionally mention where she worked last--Tampa Bay. She's mentioned Ray players she liked covering and have passed along notable work by media members in Tampa. But their isn't any type of superior attitude that comes along with the information that I personally have felt with Britt (and Anita when she was in town).

The other thing that Jen has stated, is that fan's don't like her because she's realistic about the state of the Orioles. Britt and Roch are my go to Orioles reporters. Yet I don't see either of them as homer. Neither have told fans to start saving up money for playoff tickets.

I don't know Jen, but she comes off petty to me in her blog and on twitter. She very well may be a great person in real life. But until she 1) stops acknowledging the trolls and 2) follows Tony's advise of not generalizing/making negative comments about the team you're covering's fan base, she's going to have a difficult time in Baltimore (or well, any area, I would think.)

...... but she didn't do herself any favors when she was "trying out" for the gig with Garceau and they interviewed Yankees GM Brain Cashman and she called him "Cash." Now I realize being around people in baseball that almost everyone has a nickname and it's easy to start calling them that when interviewing them, but here in Baltimore, the Yankees are THE ENEMY, so it doesn't bode well that you look like you are all chummy-chummy with their GM.

I agree completely on this point. As I've stated several times, I ALWAYS take the time to spell out "Teixeira" and to write "Alex Rodriguez" when referring to those Yank players. As an Oriole fan, "Tex" and "A-Rod" sound too chummy for me to be calling them by.

I agree completely on this point. As I've stated several times, I ALWAYS take the time to spell out "Teixeira" and to write "Alex Rodriguez" when referring to those Yank players. As an Oriole fan, "Tex" and "A-Rod" sound too chummy for me to be calling them by.

Tex hasn't earned the time it would take me to learn how to properly spell his name.

My opinion of Jen Royale is based off her work on MASN.com, and generally I'm not impressed. There are other reporters I want to take the time to read, and she's not worth the time. So the simple solution is I tend not to read her work.

The fact that she's a woman, or she's from New York, is irrelevant to me. Her writing doesn't interest me most of the time, so unless someone posts one of her stories saying its great, I'll ignore it.

My opinion of Jen Royale is based off her work on MASN.com, and generally I'm not impressed. There are other reporters I want to take the time to read, and she's not worth the time. So the simple solution is I tend not to read her work.

The fact that she's a woman, or she's from New York, is irrelevant to me. Her writing doesn't interest me most of the time, so unless someone posts one of her stories saying its great, I'll ignore it.

Exactly, I don't really read her work much either. Shes fine, but I'm ambivalent. But it certainly is not an excuse for some of the fairly low personal attacks she has gotten.

Theoharis and Ghiroli are good at their jobs. Marks and Royle aren't. It's as simple as that.

Exactly. This isn't a misogyny thing, this is a be-a-professional thing. I haven't read a single person on this board suggest Spencer Fordin was better at the job than Ghiroli. Very, very fortunate to have her on the Orioles beat. Hope she sticks around. And Theoharis is one of the best sideline reporters in all of baseball. Great mix of poise, personality, and knowledge.

Exactly. This isn't a misogyny thing, this is a be-a-professional thing. I haven't read a single person on this board suggest Spencer Fordin was better at the job than Ghiroli. Very, very fortunate to have her on the Orioles beat. Hope she sticks around. And Theoharis is one of the best sideline reporters in all of baseball. Great mix of poise, personality, and knowledge.

Really? What knowledge does she have?

Exactly, I don't really read her work much either. Shes fine, but I'm ambivalent. But it certainly is not an excuse for some of the fairly low personal attacks she has gotten.

First, all reporters are going to get attacked, no matter the subject of the reporting. That's just part of the job. Hell, just ask Tony :P

The issue is the response. Because responding consistently and in such a negative fashion is just going to draw more attacks, and when it then morphs into generalizations based on those who attack you it turns off far more than would otherwise care.

Add into it the mediocre work and the over-expression of her love for New York and the Yankees and she pretty much shot herself in the foot.

First, all reporters are going to get attacked, no matter the subject of the reporting. That's just part of the job. Hell, just ask Tony :P

The issue is the response. Because responding consistently and in such a negative fashion is just going to draw more attacks, and when it then morphs into generalizations based on those who attack you it turns off far more than would otherwise care.

Add into it the mediocre work and the over-expression of her love for New York and the Yankees and she pretty much shot herself in the foot.

Well, I applaud her for responding the way she has.

When you deal with a bunch of douche bags, they don't deserve a well reasoned response or respect.

Roch is the same way...and most of the time he is right too.

You can argue the professionalism of it and I can see that but she isn't doing it in a forum as an employee...She is doing on her personal Twitter account.

Archived