3/23 vs. Twins at 7:05pm

ChrisAF79

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

9 K's:eek:

Yes. And 80 pitches. I never liked the pitch count. To me, it only serves as a self-fulfilling prophecy. You tell a pitcher that he'll be tired when he gets close to 100 pitches, and he'll get tired. You tell a pitcher that he isn't capable of throwing 10 or 15 complete games per season, and he'll start getting tired in the seventh or eighth inning of almost every game that he pitches. Kudos to the Texas Rangers for being the first (and so far the only) team to do away with it completely on all levels (the majors AND the minors).

Yes. And 80 pitches. I never liked the pitch count. To me, it only serves as a self-fulfilling prophecy. You tell a pitcher that he'll be tired when he gets close to 100 pitches, and he'll get tired. You tell a pitcher that he isn't capable of throwing 10 or 15 complete games per season, and he'll start getting tired in the seventh or eighth inning of almost every game that he pitches. Kudos to the Texas Rangers for being the first (and so far the only) team to do away with it completely on all levels (the majors AND the minors).

Meanwhile, Texas was 11th of 14 in innings pitched by their starting pitchers last year, throwing 4.2 innings more than the Orioles.

Meanwhile, Texas was 11th of 14 in innings pitched by their starting pitchers last year, throwing 4.2 innings more than the Orioles.

Well, the point is that the pitching coaches, managers, and catchers should believe their own lying eyes as to whether or not a pitcher is tired, and not the number of pitches and/or innings pitched. On one particular day, a pitcher might not be tired in the eighth inning. Two weeks later, for whatever reason, that same pitcher might be tired in the third inning. I like the idea of not necessarily yanking a pitcher if he has thrown 130 pitches, and by the same token, not hesitating to yank a pitcher if he seems flat after only 35 pitches.

Archived