Avery Turning heads in camp

Tony-OH

Tony (or Doc, or Scottie, or weams, or anyone else), what else are you hearing about who is looking impressive in minor league camp this year? Any interesting news there?

I'd like to know this too. The minors forum has been dead lately. I know the season hasn't started but I still keep checking in for news.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-xavier-avery-0324-20110323,0,4977151.story

Nice piece by Jeff Z at the Sun on Avery. Let's hope he can have a nice break though year.

Nice piece, but I'm left wanting more details. Yeah, he was incredibly raw, that's well established in the article. Yes, he's come a long way. That's good to know, but I'm not sure what it means.

What I want really isn't that appropriate for the Sun, I suppose. I'm more looking for a scout's take on where he stands today offensively, defensively and on the bases. The only tidbit I really got from the article was that he really struggles against lefties.

We'll continue to rely on your great reports, Tony. Avery's a fun guy to follow, though I think he still probably needs at least 2 more years of MiL ball before he's ready.

Tony (or Doc, or Scottie, or weams, or anyone else), what else are you hearing about who is looking impressive in minor league camp this year? Any interesting news there?

Having trouble with phone calls being answered and or/returned. I know a lot of times my main sources get very busy with meetings all day and into the evening so it's not overly surprising. I'll keep trying.

Hopefully Doc will have some stuff for us shortly...

Wonder where he'll play if he's ready for a promotion in a year or two? Will we look to move one of our current OFers?

I think it's a little bit of a reach to think we have 3 answers in the outfield in-house in 2 years. Markakis and Jones are pretty obvious. The third, not so much.

[Edit: not that you said we have 3 answers.]

I think it's a little bit of a reach to think we have 3 answers in the outfield in-house in 2 years. Markakis and Jones are pretty obvious. The third, not so much.

[Edit: not that you said we have 3 answers.]

If you are looking at a 2013 date for Avery it would not be out of the question at all for him to move into CF. If Jones does not "breakout" he could be a piece that is moved before his Arbitration price becomes unmanageable.

Thanks for pointing out the article Tony. I particularly liked the last line from Avery:

"That's the guy we want to be with in the big leagues," Avery said of Showalter. "We all want to play for him so we always want to hear what he has to say. We want to do it his way because his way is what's going to help us get there."

Wow, that really puts into perspective how much better off this whole organization can be with Buck at the helm than we've been for so long since Davey. Players up and down the organization get that Buck is the man, and if you want to get to the bigs and play, the best way to do that is to play Buck-ball. We now have a chance to bring some bit of uniformity to the way things are done up and down the organization. We can actually resurrect the Oriole Way. That was impossible before with no consistency from level to level.

Bridwell

I whole heartedly agree during my brief visit he looked great. You know, like a first or second round draftee should look. Like a young Tillman.

Only we drafted him in the eleventh.

<iframe title ="Preview" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" style="width:320px;height:242px;padding:0;background-color:#fcfcfc;" src="http://cid-01bfda16802294c6.photos.live.com/embedphoto.aspx/New%20album/spring%20training/IMG00160-20110314-1106.jpg"></iframe>

Bridwell
I whole heartedly agree during my brief visit he looked great. You know, like a first or second round draftee should look. Like a young Tillman.

Only we drafted him in the eleventh.

<iframe title ="Preview" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" style="width:320px;height:242px;padding:0;background-color:#fcfcfc;" src="http://cid-01bfda16802294c6.photos.live.com/embedphoto.aspx/New%20album/spring%20training/IMG00160-20110314-1106.jpg"></iframe>

Thirded. Very high on Bridwell.

Projectable body and velo was already up a tick in camp.

While we were down at camp, I caught up with Scotty Mac and we saw Jose Nivar throw his first inning of the spring last friday. He is a converted outfielder and while he is raw, he has a fantastic arm and great size. Scott said everyone was excited to see him throw and that seems to be the case as everyone went over to the single A field to see him throw. He is someone to keep an eye on at least.

Archived