Showalter gives Fox an earful

ChaosLex

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't that 30-3 score against the Orioles ? Or something very close to that ?

Yes, it was 30-3. But there should be an asterisk next to that game. We were really playing the Cowboys, and they scored 3 touchdowns and 3 field goals. :eektf:

In 1984, Jim Palmer was being clobbered by the Oakland A's. Joe Morgan swung at a 3-0 pitch. Morgan later approached Palmer and apologized, saying that he basically had a brain freeze. The difference was, it wasn't a national story. In fact, it wasn't a story at all. I only know about it because Palmer mentioned it when he was announcing a game in the late 80's on ABC.

Man, do I hate these unwritten rules. If you don't want players to swing at 3-0 pitches, or steal bases, then how about you agree to stop trying to score runs for the rest of the game.

Another unwritten rule that I hate: that a player should not break up a no-hitter with a bunt. Ben Davis did that to Curt Schilling years ago and was crucified for it, even though by doing so he was putting himself on base and bringing the tying run up to the plate.

If these are all "rules," then go ahead and write them down. Otherwise, shut up.

LOL...taking a 3-0 pitch doesn't mean a guy isn't playing to win. That's the standard play unless the skipper gives the green light.

If he ignored Buck Showalter's sign (or implicit sign), then that is bad. But I frankly don't care at all about the "unwritten rule" part. As in, if Jim Leyland is such a gentleman, he should just suck it up like a man.

Archived