Britton optioned to AAA

Pedro Cerrano

I missed the part where he said the organization lied to him.

That is being implied from this part of his quote:

"Coming in they told me it was competition. I was going to work on stuff but at the same time, I knew it was competition and I felt like I came out here and competed and gave myself a good chance to make the team. I guess we will see what happens after today. Obviously, I know the rumors and stuff like [that] so when they tell me to my face I guess we will see how it goes."

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not just that, but he both overrates Britton's initial success while completely pooping on Tillman and BB. So in Trea's world, Britton is 3-1 and Till/BB are 1-3. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. :rolleyes:

Right but Britton going 3-1 and Till/BB going 1-3 means, to Trea, 3 more losses.

But I'll be optimistic and say we'll win 1 of the 4 and I'll give Britton one loss for the heck of it.

So three losses extra.

See Trea is working with a whole different math system then the rest of us. To the rest of us thats 2 more losses, once you take into account the fact that Trea is using a different counting system then you can understand the worth of these April games.

Well, the board seems to have grown up a bit from the discussions of whether Markakis should have made the OD roster a few years ago ....

Sending Britton down was a foregone conclusion.

It's all speculation, but I will say that, more so in the closed thread than the current one, I agree somewhat with JTrea in the Os treatment of Britton.

We do not know what was said exactly, but if there were ANY hint communicated to ZB that a bar existed, even an exceedingly high bar, for ZB to clear to get to the majors last season or in ST - then it would appear based on performance that ZB cleared that bar both times. IF there were communications of this nature, then ZB has certainly been mis-led. Perhaps this happens all the time, but it's dirty pool IMO.

It's not difficult to tell a SP that ST is about gathering experience, pitching about 20 IP and then enjoying the ticket to AAA for additional experience before a possible major league call-up before the trade-deadline.

Now, I'm sure that ZB has been brainwashed by Boras and has known in advance all the financial reasons why the Os would send ZB to the minors to get an additional year of pre-free agent ownership for the Orioles. And I'm sure that is extremely difficult for ZB to accept.

Well, the board seems to have grown up a bit from the discussions of whether Markakis should have made the OD roster a few years ago ....

Sending Britton down was a foregone conclusion.

It's all speculation, but I will say that, more so in the closed thread than the current one, I agree somewhat with JTrea in the Os treatment of Britton.

We do not know what was said exactly, but if there were ANY hint communicated to ZB that a bar existed, even an exceedingly high bar, for ZB to clear to get to the majors last season or in ST - then it would appear based on performance that ZB cleared that bar both times. IF there were communications of this nature, then ZB has certainly been mis-led. Perhaps this happens all the time, but it's dirty pool IMO.

It's not difficult to tell a SP that ST is about gathering experience, pitching about 20 IP and then enjoying the ticket to AAA for additional experience before a possible major league call-up before the trade-deadline.

Now, I'm sure that ZB has been brainwashed by Boras and has known in advance all the financial reasons why the Os would send ZB to the minors to get an additional year of pre-free agent ownership for the Orioles. And I'm sure that is extremely difficult for ZB to accept.

IIRC, you wanted Nick sent down because of performance, right?

I think the whole service time issue was not well understood at the time by most around here, certainly me. And, we were very desperate for a breath of fresh air after what happened in 2005. Finally, it had been probably 7-8 years (longer?) since we had such a highly regarded position player prospect, and we were desperate to see the guy play. With good reason, as time has shown.

I think the whole service time issue was not well understood at the time by most around here, certainly me. And, we were very desperate for a breath of fresh air after what happened in 2005. Finally, it had been probably 7-8 years (longer?) since we had such a highly regarded position player prospect, and we were desperate to see the guy play. With good reason, as time has shown.

Yea, I would agree that it is just simply something we have learned from.

But, in hindsight, bringing Nick up was wrong..but not performance based reasons being the issue.

Yea, I would agree that it is just simply something we have learned from.

But, in hindsight, bringing Nick up was wrong..but not performance based reasons being the issue.

I agree it was a bad financial move, though Nick went ahead and signed a long-term deal later so at least we didn't hasten his exit. It worked out OK that time, but we can't assume it always will.

Honestly, I know this is going to get into a JTrea thread, but the CBA needs to be changed so this doesn't happen anymore.

The Orioles are doing the exact right thing under the current rules, but it's clear Britton is one the best five starters in the organization and is only going down due to this stupid rule.

Let's hope the next CBA will get rid of the rule or makes something similar to the Super-2 date in June so teams will have to really think, can we hold off until then?

Agreed on all points. Baseball in particular seems to reward employers for keeping their employees undervalued and underpaid. Needs to change ASAP. The rule was created so that teams wouldn't take advantage of young players, ironically.

From PECOTA, Britton (4.94/1.57 WHIP) is predicted to have a higher ERA/WHIP than both Tillman (4.69/1.48) and Bergesen (4.92/1.44).

Shave a full run, A FULL RUN off of Britton's projection. In a max of 3 starts, that projects out to be....half a win tops?

Joe Sheehan wrote that the Brewers would lose about a win per month while Grienke is out. That's going from the staff ace to a AAAA starter for 6 starts. Going from an unproven but talented rookie to an unproven but talented second year player isn't even close to a full win.

Can we put this nonsense to bed once and for all now? Didn't think so.

Brilliance all around.

Tillman against Texas:

3.38 ERA 0.98 WHIP .191BA AGAINST

He's a must start for that series, right?

Stop ruining this message board man.

Is he ruining the message board or are the guys who constantly feel a need to feed him ruing it? That's really the question.

Every single time you guys continue this debate, despite the fact that all of us know he's not going to change his opinion, makes me wonder if you guys know the old definition of insanity?

I still think there's a difference with every day players vs. pitching when it comes to this. Like the Heyward example in the other thread...a hitter gets to exert his presence in practically every game.

Pitching, OTOH, is rare and an extra year of service time might mean more.

I'd be alright if we started a Markakis type prospect in the lineup if we had a spot for him. Wouldn't love the move, but wouldn't hate it either.

Pitching means a lot more, IMO. Interestingly, the one guy who values hitting over pitching is pitching a hissy fit for Britton to be up from day 1.

Is he ruining the message board or are the guys who constantly feel a need to feed him ruing it? That's really the question.

Every single time you guys continue this debate, despite the fact that all of us know he's not going to change his opinion, makes me wonder if you guys know the old definition of insanity?

The answer is both.

I still think there's a difference with every day players vs. pitching when it comes to this. Like the Heyward example in the other thread...a hitter gets to exert his presence in practically every game.

Pitching, OTOH, is rare and an extra year of service time might mean more.

But, doesn't a SP have much more impact on a game than a hitter? A hitter gets to exert his presence, but it's not as much as the SP.

They don't... can you add a rule to the forum that doesn't allow for insanity? :clap3:

Archived