A couple new mock drafts out there...

Wasn't Hultzen already drafted by Arizona once upon a time? And since he turned them down to attend UVA wouldn't Arizona need written permission from the Hultzen family to draft him again? And would the Hultzen family grant that permission knowing the Orioles (much closer to Virginia than Arizona) are sitting right behind Arizona at four?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wasn't Hultzen already drafted by Arizona once upon a time? And since he turned them down to attend UVA wouldn't Arizona need written permission from the Hultzen family to draft him again? And would the Hultzen family grant that permission knowing the Orioles (much closer to Virginia than Arizona) are sitting right behind Arizona at four?

Correct. It may depend on if the Hultzens hold a grudge. They were not happy with Danny's selection back in HS (scouts were told not to talk to or draft him because he was going to UVA). My guess is that the business side wins out, and you don't risk alienating a team selecting 3rd. Ultimately, there is no guarantee that BAL would draft him -- what if Rendon drops or Jed Bradley is simply better down the stretch, for example?

Correct. It may depend on if the Hultzens hold a grudge. They were not happy with Danny's selection back in HS (scouts were told not to talk to or draft him because he was going to UVA). My guess is that the business side wins out, and you don't risk alienating a team selecting 3rd. Ultimately, there is no guarantee that BAL would draft him -- what if Rendon drops or Jed Bradley is simply better down the stretch, for example?

Thanks Stotle. I know this will be covered in your upcoming draft reports but in a nutshell what do you see as the difference - if there is one - between Hultzen and Bradley?

I'm really starting to get jazzed about Dylan Bundy. Everything I've read about him so far this year is that he has been absolutely dominating. But I agree, that the top 5 in this draft all have tremendous potential.

Thanks Stotle. I know this will be covered in your upcoming draft reports but in a nutshell what do you see as the difference - if there is one - between Hultzen and Bradley?

Bradley is a lot more physical (and I think, as sturdy as he is) he could actually add another inch (maybe two) w/corresponding weight gain. He is a big, strong kid.

I received questions last spring about Hultzen, and why he was considered a top pitcher for 2011 given down velo and limited secondaries. My answer was the projection in his frame and stuff. Since last spring, he's added mass and sharpened his slider. With the added strength, he's lasting deeper into starts and maintaining his stuff.

They are different arms. If you like pure power and physicality, Bradley is your guy. If you want track record and more precision, Hultzen.

How are his secondaries? Also' date=' if his velocity is up with the command, not to mention his being a lefty, sounds like we may be getting a stud no matter what. Worst case scenario would be Starling?[/quote']

Secondaries are good. SL/CH.

Bradley is a lot more physical (and I think, as sturdy as he is) he could actually add another inch (maybe two) w/corresponding weight gain. He is a big, strong kid.

I received questions last spring about Hultzen, and why he was considered a top pitcher for 2011 given down velo and limited secondaries. My answer was the projection in his frame and stuff. Since last spring, he's added mass and sharpened his slider. With the added strength, he's lasting deeper into starts and maintaining his stuff.

They are different arms. If you like pure power and physicality, Bradley is your guy. If you want track record and more precision, Hultzen.

So where does Gray fit in with these two? How would you rank 1,2,3? Of the 3 who has the best overall mix of stuff?

So where does Gray fit in with these two? How would you rank 1,2,3? Of the 3 who has the best overall mix of stuff?

Haven't ranked them again. Preseason it was Gray, Bradley, Hultzen. I am reviewing video/stats on pitchers this week and re-ranking next Wed. My guess is that it will go Gray, Bradley, Hultzen again, but not sure. All are top 10.

Archived