Draft Scouting Reports

Which draft prospects would you like to read about?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Which draft prospects would you like to read about?

• Danny Hultzen, lhp, UVA (proj. Top 15 pick)
    • Jake Cave, lhp/of, Kecoughtan HS (Va.) (proj. Top 100 pick)
    • Derek Fisher, of, Cedar Crest HS (Penn.) (proj Top 75 pick)
    • Gerrit Cole, rhp, UCLA (proj Top 5 pick)
    • Anthony Rendon, 3b, (proj Top 5 pick)
    • Sonny Gray, rhp, Vanderbilt (proj Top 10 pick)
    • Derek "Bubba" Starling, of, Gardner-Edgerton HS (Kan.) (proj Top 10 pick)
    • Dylan Bundy, rhp, Owasso HS (Okla.) (proj Top 15 pick)
    • Francisco Lindor, ss, Montverde HS (Fla.) (proj Top 15 pick)
    • Other (Specify below)

Nick, is there a reason you didn't include Jungmann in the poll? Is it because you don't feel he is worth our pick or did you just accidentally leave him off?

No reason at all. Was just trying to give a number of different players, including top 5 guys, college pitchers, 2nd/3rd round guys, hs position players, hs pitchers etc. I chose Bundy because he has a link to the org, Lindor and Starling because they are the most nationally know guys (though I would include Swihart on their level). This wasn't my "top 10" or any thing like that.

Jed Bradley, lhp, Georgia Tech

John Stilson, rhp, Texas A&M

Tyler Anderson, lhp, Oregon

Matt Barnes, rhp, UConn

Bradley definitely a top 5 option. Stilson solidifying 1st Rd status -- Top 10 probably a little high in general, but wouldn't be surprised to see individual teams with him listed up there. Ditto Barnes. Anderson could work into Top 10 by virtue of being a lefty, but again that is more likely for a few individual teams than it is as a consensus within the industry.

Thanks.

So my choices for scouting reports would be 1) Gray, 2) Starling, 3) Rendon, 4) Jungmann, 5) Bradley, 6) Bundy, in that order. Rendon would be #1 if I thought there was a legit chane of him falling to us. Gray/Jungmann/Bradley seem like the most realistic pick, according to this onlooker.

I could really see a scenario where Starling jumps to #2 because of his immense upside and Rendon's relative troubles this year, and the DBacks pick a signability guy. I could also see how Starling jumps above the college pitchers on our list and goes #4.

The scouting reports would help me know if I'm just making this stuff up. :laughlol:

JB Jr as well.

I am always intrigued about the top positional talent in college.

JBJ (cf, Sou.Carolina), Andrew Susac (c, OregonSt.) and Kolten Wong (2b, Hawai'i) might be three safest college positional players behind Rendon.

JBJ (cf, Sou.Carolina), Andrew Susac (c, OregonSt.) and Kolten Wong (2b, Hawai'i) might be three safest college positional players behind Rendon.

I am definitely interested in JBJ..Per our conversation before, if he can be a top 50ish player in MLB, I am happy with that.

I still see no way the Orioles don't take a pitcher unless Rendon drops.

Jed Bradley for sure...Starling all but hinted, by the way, in a Kansas City Star interview last week that if the Royals draft him at 5 he'll forego football at Nebraska. Of course, he may forego that money to play for Seattle if millions are dangled before his eyes...

Looks like Susac broke his hand and may miss the rest of the season. My immediate thought is that Boston grabs him with one of their extra picks.

Looks like Susac broke his hand and may miss the rest of the season. My immediate thought is that Boston grabs him with one of their extra picks.

This is a shame. I am a big fan. I agree about Boston, seems exactly the kind of guy they'd be all over.

I'm curious about another Oklahoma HS pithcer, Archie Bradley. I read in BA that he has a terrific arm, is a possible Top 10 pick, and also is an OU football recruit. Would he be someone to get as excited about as Bundy?

I'm curious about another Oklahoma HS pithcer, Archie Bradley. I read in BA that he has a terrific arm, is a possible Top 10 pick, and also is an OU football recruit. Would he be someone to get as excited about as Bundy?

Archie Bradley has a case for top HS RHP in the draft. He should definitely be in consideration for a top 10 pick. Most national rankings (if I remember correctly) had Bradley ahead of Bundy pre-season.

I haven't seen him play in person, but reports have him in the low 90's with his 2-seamer and mid-90's with the 4-seamer, touching 98. It's a plus, power fastball. I believe his knuckle-curve is also a plus pitch, as I see it referred to as his out pitch. His changeup is just average right now, but has come along pretty nicely. Not a ton of projection left, as he's grown a couple of inches and put on 50-70 pounds over his high school career. He's now something like 6'4" 230 pounds.

He's a two-sport (QB) commit to Oklahoma. I think he wants to play, but it'll take some money.

I would love for Stotle to weight in with a more in depth report or correct anything I've said if possible. He and Daniel Norris seem like very legitimate HS candidates to consider at 1:4, even with the depth of college starters.

Here is a little tidbit from MLBtraderumors. There will be a lot of shifting, speculating, and such right up until the draft so this early information can't be all that trustworthy. Still, it is interesting to follow.

•The Diamondbacks are looking at Gerrit Cole, Anthony Rendon and Danny Hultzen with the third pick in this June's amateur draft, says Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic. Sources on other teams think this trio will be the first three players taken in the draft, though perhaps not in that order. Arizona also has the seventh overall pick, and Piecoro notes that the D-Backs' priority with that pick is to draft a player they can sign. Vanderbilt's Sonny Grey and high schoolers Dylan Bundy and Taylor Guerrieri are some of the players Piecoro hears connected with this pick.

Here is a little tidbit from MLBtraderumors. There will be a lot of shifting, speculating, and such right up until the draft so this early information can't be all that trustworthy. Still, it is interesting to follow.

•The Diamondbacks are looking at Gerrit Cole, Anthony Rendon and Danny Hultzen with the third pick in this June's amateur draft, says Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic. Sources on other teams think this trio will be the first three players taken in the draft, though perhaps not in that order. Arizona also has the seventh overall pick, and Piecoro notes that the D-Backs' priority with that pick is to draft a player they can sign. Vanderbilt's Sonny Grey and high schoolers Dylan Bundy and Taylor Guerrieri are some of the players Piecoro hears connected with this pick.

So Piecoro notes that 7 of the highest profile picks are possibilities for the Diamondbacks at pick 1:3 and 1:7...

Hah, thanks for the quote, just giving some of the early "rumors" some ribbing.

One surprise is how sharply Danny Hultzen has risen up national rankings. He's had a fantastic year and looked very impressive, but I still wonder if he's good enough to be mentioned with the prizes of the class.

So Piecoro notes that 7 of the highest profile picks are possibilities for the Diamondbacks at pick 1:3 and 1:7...

Hah, thanks for the quote, just giving some of the early "rumors" some ribbing.

One surprise is how sharply Danny Hultzen has risen up national rankings. He's had a fantastic year and looked very impressive, but I still wonder if he's good enough to be mentioned with the prizes of the class.

Piecoro did cast the net pretty wide. If you think about it, though, often 3-4 guys are highlighted as possibilities for any given pick. He just did that X2.

AZ must think a lot of Hultzen, this is the second reference that I've heard connecting them to him. Frankly, I not that knowledgeable about many of these guys. I just read what I can and watch a little You Tube.

I still have a good feeling about Matt Barnes although it seems the consensus on this board is that he's outside the first and maybe even the second group of pitchers. I just love this guy's mechanics. He's also got a good pitcher's body in that he looks like he might get a little stronger but should never be the type to have weight issues. I've heard the stuff described as low 90's but touching mid 90's. Change and curve described as future ML average or better pitches. To me, he sounds like a safe pick and still having a ceiling of a TOR starter.

I'd love to hear a scouting report and why he's considered second or third tier.

I'm writing him up in early May. I consider him just outside the elite arms, but a solid get with a solid shot at being a #3 and upside of a #2.

Short story, he's too imprecise with his stuff right now and his arsenal is good-not-great across the board, to me.

Archived