Fixing Wieters Swing

Greg Pappas

If Weiters ONLY remains a league-average offensive catcher and a great defender, we have a darn good player on hand. He's my favorite current Oriole, though I'm still holding out hope for more offense.

I'm still not quite understanding where the power/XBH's went... is it the swing mechanics, his stance, or something else entirely? Maybe what it is now, is what it will remain. Again, I still hope it can get better.

To me, Wieters swing issues are largely due to his leg kick. This timing mechanism seems a bit off and affects his swing through the zone. And it's been that way for over 2 years now...maybe it will never be fixed.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I look at Wieters swing and I see a lot of things wrong, but not always at the same time. He doesn't get his front foot down so it looks like a timing issue. Then you watch him and see that he isn't getting his hips turned quickly enough to drive the ball so it makes his bat look slow. Even if he connects, what should have been a XBH is a bloop or a flyout.

His minor league numbers say that he should have power and he has the ability to go deep to all fields, but I just can't put my finger on what is really going on with Matt. That has to be frustrating to a hitting coach as well. Fix one issue for a while and then focus on the other issues. I just do not feel that he is ever going to be the player we thought he was going to be, but that doesn't mean that he couldn't be one of the top 3-5 catchers in the game moving forward and what is wrong with that?

At this moment if the Orioles put Matt Wieters on the trade block he might be more valuable than any Orioles not named Adam Jones. I am not giving up on Matt, I just think there is a lot wrong with his swing at times.

I look at Wieters swing and I see a lot of things wrong, but not always at the same time. He doesn't get his front foot down so it looks like a timing issue. Then you watch him and see that he isn't getting his hips turned quickly enough to drive the ball so it makes his bat look slow. Even if he connects, what should have been a XBH is a bloop or a flyout.

His minor league numbers say that he should have power and he has the ability to go deep to all fields, but I just can't put my finger on what is really going on with Matt. That has to be frustrating to a hitting coach as well. Fix one issue for a while and then focus on the other issues. I just do not feel that he is ever going to be the player we thought he was going to be, but that doesn't mean that he couldn't be one of the top 3-5 catchers in the game moving forward and what is wrong with that?

At this moment if the Orioles put Matt Wieters on the trade block he might be more valuable than any Orioles not named Adam Jones. I am not giving up on Matt, I just think there is a lot wrong with his swing at times.

I see the highlighted part as accurate and the worst case scenario, pending health. I realize that he is still young and will likely improve his offensive performance. I also recognize that he's a good player as is. I just wish someone could get Wieters straightened out... whatever the issue. We all want that. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Rather than creating a new thread, I thought I'd bump this for a little Wieters update.

Wieters now has a triple slash of .269/.329/.425. His OPS stands at .754 which works out to an OPS+ of 109.

After putting up an OPS of .826 in April/March, Wieters only managed an OPS of .678 in May and .665 in June. However, in the 14 games he's played in July, Matt is putting up a great line: .300/.386/.540 with an OPS of .926.

B-R has him pegged as a 2.7 win player so far; Fangraphs has him at 2.6 wins.

Rather than creating a new thread, I thought I'd bump this for a little Wieters update.

Wieters now has a triple slash of .269/.329/.425. His OPS stands at .754 which works out to an OPS+ of 109.

After putting up an OPS of .826 in April/May, Wieters only managed an OPS of .678 in May and .665 in June. However, in the 14 games he's played in July, Matt is putting up a great line: .300/.386/.540 with an OPS of .926.

B-R has him pegged as a 2.7 win player so far; Fangraphs has him at 2.6 wins.

So that's about a 4.7 WAR pace. Very nice.

I like the fact that Buck has used Wieters at DH twice since the all star break. I'd like to see him doing that once a week, plus giving Wieters a full day off another day in the weeks that don't have an off-day. It's very important to back off his heavy workload a little bit.

I like the fact that Buck has used Wieters at DH twice since the all star break. I'd like to see him doing that once a week, plus giving Wieters a full day off another day in the weeks that don't have an off-day. It's very important to back off his heavy workload a little bit.

I will be shocked to see him DHing after Vlad gets back from the DL.

I hate Buck DHing him. It limits his ability to pinch hit for Tatum late in those games.

Archived