Fixing Wieters Swing

Greg Pappas

Nice post.

If you set the hype aside, we have a catcher that many many other teams in the league would love to have.

Absolutely, which is why I'd be a terrible GM. I'll get over the failed expectations, hopefully sooner than later. It is what it is, but this one stings a little because the hype was out of control.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1. Why does he think he's close to breaking through? What signs did he see?

2. Offense might be gravy to an outsider but ask any Oriole fan if they think offense from Wieters is JUST gravy. That's not exactly a scouting report. You said he wasn't high on Wieter's offense. Why not?

3. The last concern of any Oriole fan right now, is when the wear and tear of catching, catches up to Wieters. That is purely hypothetical on the scouts's part. His guess isn't much better than Joe fan's, IMO. Did he have an actual scouting report or opinion?

I know I often misread your tone, but I find the bolded humorous...

Anyway, we were talking in the stands while scouting amateur ballplayers. None of them were breakingout scout cards, RZ. This was just shooting the ****. I apologize for any inconvenience. As far as other details...

Re: potential breakthrough, his thoughts were that the physical tools were all there, but Wieters was too tentative, particularly in situations where he should have been comfortable just letting it fly. I didn't ask if he thought this was overthinking, poor prep, or just a lack of comfort/confidence. All are possible causes of tentative swings.

Re: not high on bat, he just said he didn't love the bat and didn't see enough consistent hard contact in his future for power to play or for hit tool to play-up.

Re: "just gravy", this is more in reference to the fact that a player could end with the same OFP if one tool plays up more than expected and another doen't hit its projection. It's a perfectly reasonable (and grounded) way to approach player projection. And I'll generally take that grounded approach over a fan's expectations and demands, which tend to be less....reasonable, on the whole.

Re: wear-and-tear, that's all well in good, and you are entitled to your opinion. But these are things teams consider when assigning values to players and determining whether a particular player is one their organization should go after. His opinion was exactly what I stated -- he is now and will continue to be an above-average regular until he starts having trouble staying on the field. As I stated, he (and the other two) are amateur scouts. They aren't preparing scouting reports on pro players. If they happened to prepare a scouting report while assisting the org in fall instructs or spring training, I'm certain they aren't going to give that to someone in another org.

I know these aren't exciting details -- I was just passing along a few comments.

Honestly? You're leading the charge on the he's terrible train. He was outstanding in the minors and hit .288 his first year and you throw out "He is what he is. He'll be lucky to hit .250". Give me a break. The world is ending in 2012, although I'm sure I don't have to remind you...

He's REGRESSED since his first year. I'm also not the one holding up someone who could retire TODAY as a lock for the Hall of Fame who is hitting .143 so far and comparing him to the Matt Wieters situation.

I mean I'll be the first to admit that I was on the "he's a future HOF train" after his minor league season. And yes, I'm disappointed in how he's performed so far. I told myself I'd give Wieters this season to start showing signs and while so far he hasn't looked great, it really has only been one week.

If he has a week like this in August nobody notices. When he has it in the first week of the year, EVERYONE notices.

He's REGRESSED since his first year. I'm also not the one holding up someone who could retire TODAY as a lock for the Hall of Fame who is hitting .143 so far and comparing him to the Matt Wieters situation.

Well since you're saying the stars would have to align for Wiethers to hit .250, I'd be willing to be 100 bucks that says he does. I don't do alot of betting but I would assume there would be some website on the net we could set that up through.

Honestly? You're leading the charge on the he's terrible train. He was outstanding in the minors and hit .288 his first year and you throw out "He is what he is. He'll be lucky to hit .250". Give me a break. The world is ending in 2012, although I'm sure I don't have to remind you...

In 2008, Wieters had 437 at bats between A and AA. He had an OPS of 1053 in those at bats.

In 2009, he had 141 at bats in AAA. He had an 890 OPS in those at bats.

So far(spanning parts of 3 seasons), in his ML career, Wieters has 823 at bats and his combined combined slash line is 265/327/389/716. At what point do we look past those at bats in 2008 at A and AA and look at who he is right now?

I am not saying Wieters can't be good..I am not saying he can't be the player we hoped he would be but what are the signs that he will?

His LD% fell a lot from 2009-2010...and this year, in a SSS, its AWFUL!

He hits a lot of GBs and has a poor HR/FB%.

The encouraging thing to take away from last year is that his BB rate went up and his K rate was down. He made more contact but it wasn't good contact and while his BB rate went up, we should still be seeing it much higher compared to what we saw in the minors and how his plate discipline was hyped.

On top of all of this, when you watch him this year, you don't see a lot of positive things with his swing. He still looks tentative and still has a slow bat.

We heard a quote this offseason for Palmer(obviously who the writer was talking about) that talked about Wieters lack of strength. Are there any signs that his strength is improved?

Well since you're saying the stars would have to align for Wiethers to hit .250, I'd be willing to be 100 bucks that says he does. I don't do alot of betting but I would assume there would be some website on the net we could set that up through.

Dude, just admit your Pujols comparison was weak sauce.

Dude, just admit your Pujols comparison was weak sauce.

Wow, for someone with as many posts as you, you are pretty thick. It wasn't a Wieter's:Pujols comparison. I was pointing out how fickle people can be and showing how we shouldn't freak out over anyone (hof or struggling young hitter) after one week. 100 bucks dude

Wow, for someone with as many posts as you, you are pretty thick. It wasn't a Wieter's:Pujols comparison. I was pointing out how fickle people can be and showing how we shouldn't freak out over anyone (hof or struggling young hitter) after one week. 100 bucks dude

The fact that you think people are being "fickle" because of his slow start shows nothing but total ignorance on your part.

How much longer is Felix under contract?

3 years for 58 million(not including this season).

I actually thought he was signed for a little longer when I said I would do it without hesitation...I would need to think about that a little more but probably still would make the deal.

Dude, I rarely make bets. Especially with people over the internet of which I have no intention of meeting. Chances are you and I will probably forget this conversation come late September. So drop the tough guy act by trying to make me appear chicken#%*^ or whatever by proposing a 100 dollar bet every post.

As SG said, it's more than a slow start. It's been going on for over a year now.

[/b]

I say the O's agree, since he's been 8th most of the time. Wieters may not become what we all thought and wanted, but he is what he is right now. He could bat .200, and he's still not going anywhere. Buck loves Matt. There hasn't been one post game conference, that Buck hasn't mentioned Wieters play behind the plate. The only one i can recall, is the 2nd game of the double dip when Fox caught.

I know he's done great so far but that effusive praise could be a psychological game to get him feeling good about himself and hopefully start hitting.

Archived