4/13/11 - Orioles @ Yankees

nevadaO

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I remember him from his time with the Braves when I was in Atlanta. This is from the 'Rick Camp Game' in 85.  
    • I don’t think his lack of command in the early going is going to be fixed by changing roles.  Irvin typically has very good command.  He didn’t at the beginning of last year, but recovered it after a stint in the minors.  This year he’s having early problems again, but I think the reasons may be different.  He’s gained velocity and he’s added a new pitch that moves well but he hadn’t quite figured out how to command.  So, I don’t know if he’ll figure it out or not.  If he does, he could emerge a better pitcher than at any previous time in his career. In any event, he will get at least two more starts before Means is ready to return.   Hopefully he’ll make some progress, but he’s likely to find himself in the bullpen when Means returns regardless.       
    • Irvin is probably the most frustrating pitcher on this team right now. He has good velocity and good movement, but consistently misses his targets by a foot or two. Monday night the Twins hit a number of missiles that by luck or pluck didn't fall in, but a better team would have probably put up a touchdown against him. I think Irvin would have more success out of the pen, throwing as hard as he can for 20 pitches, rather than as a starter where he has to hold back a little so as to eat innings. Of course that's not going to resolve his problems with lack of command, but at least he'd be in a position to do less damage out of the BP than by starting every fifth day. 
    • As some people have noted on the Holliday thread, a quick release can help make up for less than a rocket arm and he's quick and has good hands.  Seems to work well with Gunnar too.
    • He’s been murdering a lot of balls.  99th percentile in average exit velocity, 97th in hard hit rate.  He’s been a little unlucky, with a .331 xOBA, .361 xwOBA going into last night.  
    • It's only somewhat relevant to this post, but that game saving catch in Seattle, and the subsequent game winning home run is quite possibly the most impressive thing I ever saw within one inning of  each other.Cedric Mullins did that. I watched Willie Mays for most of my life...I simply dont think he ever did that...certainly not in extra innings and so close those moments were together.
    • Where did you find that info?
  • Popular Contributors