Soriano

Sports Guy

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go after him. Here's why:

1) He would be the power bat we desperately need.

2) Tejada would have legit protection and the Soriano/Miggy 2-headed monster would be able to play together for the next 3 years, a very formidable 1-2 punch.

3) We have the money.

4) He wouldn't block anyone and could DH.

5) Making a FA splash would do wonders for Oriole fan/player morale.

That's funny...

it's 2/3 more important than your slugging %

If you want to get into semantics I can point out some interesting facts about the argument.

Lets compare 2 types of guys, an OBP freak like Giambi or a masher like Soriano.

They both will produce god like numbers over a full healthy season but the difference between them is, Giambi grounds into a bunch of double plays and makes additional outs from shifts that are put on him, meanwhile Soriano strikes out alot which means he doesnt hit into many double plays costing his team additional outs.

Its the age old debate on whether you would want a guy who hits a ton of homeruns and also causes a bunch of extra outs, or a guy that hits a ton of homeruns or strikes out. Most people go for the strikeout because its a much safer out.

Overall regardless of his career OBP Soriano is a special player, he is pretty much the only player in MLB right now who is capable of a 50hr 50sb season, not that its ever going to happen but he is on pace for 40/40 this year.

Plus you have to add in the fact that we have Corey Patterson, a poor mans Soriano, who knows, maybe by watching him and learning from him C-Pat could reach his potential which is exactly what Soriano is now. Just some food for thought.

Ok everyone saying no then please tell me who we are going after? Soriano wants 5/75 Lee wants 5/75 neither one of them are worth it but that is what they will get. So if we arent going to field the same pathetic guys then who are we gonna get. Now dont get to creative cus we all know that will never happen.

OBP is overrated, mostly for a guy like Soriano. His speed is great but his power is his biggest asset.

No way would I have Soriano batting leadoff. He could still steal 30 bases batting cleanup.

Visions of Roberts/Markakis/Tejada/Soriano in the top 4. How can you not drool over that? :D

Really? How does one score a run if they don't get on base?

Soriano would be great for this team. It would bring 30+ HR, .280 AVG, 30+ STL. He is a complete offensive player. Albeit, I would rather have Schmidt or Zito but they both have expressed desire to play else where or not here. Signing Soriano would send a message to other free-agents and this team that we want to win. It would also bring in more oney through MASN ads. Soriano might not have the best numbers but he's pretty consistant with his numbers and would be a great addition to the O's on and off the field.

Really? How does one score a run if they don't get on base?

The point was that If you have guys in front of him that get on base he is going to hit them in. Roberts/Markakis could be getting on base at a nice clip.

With Tejada batting in front of him Soriano would probably do something like 40hr 120 rbi. Tejada himself would probably have a monster year himself for having that kind of protection.

You can have a great OBP and still strikeout a lot. See: Manny Ramirez, Alex Rodriguez, etc. Mashers can strike out a lot and walk a lot. The difference is, which one is consistently waving at pitches that roll between his legs, and which one is taking a called third strike on the outside corner.

Stolen bases are fun to watch, but they have marginal benefits. Both hitters have OBP problems, but Lee has consistently posted a better one over the years, and with similar power production.

Both players are good. I just feel overall Soriano is a better one and is the one we should sign. He knows the division, he's been in the playoffs, he's a proven winner. He's my pick.

One other little fact with the extra outs and stuff.

Soriano has grounded into 36 career double plays

Lee has grounded into 86 career double plays.

I'll take a speed/power freak to join Patterson and hopefully Patterson learns from him (if he is around)

I love people talking 30/30 about Soriano when he has openly said he wants to be the first 50/50 man in baseball history and there is no reason besides its hard to do that he can't do it. He would provide a massive bat in the lineup that we could greatly need. He is hitting bombs out of RFK, imagine where his homers would be landing at OPACY.

Archived