Soriano

Sports Guy

If in Baltimore, he will hit between 30-40 home runs, driving in 110+ runs, steal 35+ bases and hit near .300 for the next 5 years.

If he does that in Coors Field in 2010 I will eat my hat.

Jason Schmidt should be the number 1 priority. We can try and trade for offense with one of those golden, beautiful, magnificent arms in Frederick or Bowie or try to construct a decent platoon. Soriano for 5/75 is a big mistake.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really dont understand why people do not want to bring Soriano here. We would be taking away the Nationals best player and their new face of their franchise. It would be a big hit to them and could really help our fan base, by bringing some of their fans to us. Also if you really think that he is not a good offensive player and won't be at OPACY, then you must have Pujols-like expectations for any free agent signing. It doesnt get much better than Soriano from an offensive perspective. he would make this lineup better all-around. He would be a great sign for us, even if we have to overpay by 10 million or more.

I really dont understand why people do not want to bring Soriano here. We would be taking away the Nationals best player and their new face of their franchise. It would be a big hit to them and could really help our fan base, by bringing some of their fans to us. Also if you really think that he is not a good offensive player and won't be at OPACY, then you must have Pujols-like expectations for any free agent signing. It doesnt get much better than Soriano from an offensive perspective. he would make this lineup better all-around. He would be a great sign for us, even if we have to overpay by 10 million or more.

It is simple...If he is only giving you a 320ish OBP, he is not worth near what he will get.

Plus, at age 30, you figure he starts a slow decline and loses some of his speed, which is a big asset to him.

Also if you really think that he is not a good offensive player and won't be at OPACY, then you must have Pujols-like expectations for any free agent signing. It doesnt get much better than Soriano from an offensive perspective.

I'd expect almost Hafnerian offense for 5/75.

Hell, I would pay Pujols 6/180.

And buying players just to spite the Nationals is not how you win divisions.

FWIW...BP uses MORP to measure a players worth in terms of money...They value him at about 20 million over the next 4 years.

Now, this doesn't take into account the market nor his big jump in walks this year so that will likely be alot more but by how much?

In reality, Soriano is probably worth no more than 8-11 million a year for 3-5 years. However, he will get more than that and the question is, what do you want to do about that? How much do you want to go above that?

I;d rather pay the money for Soriano than Lee.

Personally, I think Soriano is going to command more money than Lee. Offer both players 4 years $52 million and see if one bites.

I prefer Lee to Soriano for a bunch of reasons:

1. Lee has a BABIP of .264 and .259 last year and this year with the Brewers. His luck is going to change eventually, and his OPS will go up because of it.

2. Lee consistently makes contact with the ball and doesn't strike out much for a power hitter. He has consistently had the better BB/K rate over their careers.

3. Soriano is putting up better power numbers this year, but career wise they are basically the same and their RC/27 has basically been equal the past two years.

4. I believe Lee will come cheaper.

5. People talk about Lee as some slug, but he has had double digits in steals 7 of the past 8 years. Defensively they aren't much different, though statistically, Soriano is slightly better and has the potential to get better in LF.

Soriano may age better than Lee, but I see Lee being able to put up better numbers on a more consistent basis. Either way, I don't believe we should drastically overpay either one of these guys. Lets just hope Aramis Ramirez becomes available.

Conserning Soriano, I think he'e going to go where he can play 2B. Best landing spots are Mets, Dodgers, Angels, Cubs or the Nats where Vidro said he would move to SS. I'd wager the odds of landing Soriano about 30-1.

I just hope we don't piss around and waste time on him. I would bet odds are very good Craig Wilson ends up an Oriole if not kept by the Yankees.

Always be weary of a guy having a "career year".

His OPS this year is about .100 pts higher than it has ever been in his career.

What's more likely for him in 2007? Another year w/a .975ish OPS or the .820ish OPS he put up in 2004-2005?

The stolen bases are nice if he can have a year like last year - only caught twice. But if this year is any indication (and he's likely to lose a step or two over his contract) he's been getting caught enough to negate the benefits.

For the money he's going to make, he's a player that is an outstanding choice to be a player whose team would regret the signing and be looking to dump his (likely) inflated salary later than 2009.

Personally, I think Soriano is going to command more money than Lee. Offer both players 4 years $52 million and see if one bites.

I prefer Lee to Soriano for a bunch of reasons:

1. Lee has a BABIP of .264 and .259 last year and this year with the Brewers. His luck is going to change eventually, and his OPS will go up because of it.

2. Lee consistently makes contact with the ball and doesn't strike out much for a power hitter. He has consistently had the better BB/K rate over their careers.

3. Soriano is putting up better power numbers this year, but career wise they are basically the same and their RC/27 has basically been equal the past two years.

4. I believe Lee will come cheaper.

5. People talk about Lee as some slug, but he has had double digits in steals 7 of the past 8 years. Defensively they aren't much different, though statistically, Soriano is slightly better and has the potential to get better in LF.

Soriano may age better than Lee, but I see Lee being able to put up better numbers on a more consistent basis. Either way, I don't believe we should drastically overpay either one of these guys. Lets just hope Aramis Ramirez becomes available.

I'm warming to the Dellucci/Cruz platoon over Lee.

I'm warming to the Dellucci/Cruz platoon over Lee.

I would prefer that too. I really don't want to give 5-7 year deals to Sorinao or Lee. They should really start talking to Burrell somehow to waive that no trade clause.

Another big bat makes the rest of the lineup stronger way more than the platoon idea. I would sign Wilson or Huff for 1b and Soriano or Lee for lf. No major preference for either position but if we have money to spend, there is no reason to come out with a product considerable to this years.

Delucci and Cruz would be solid signings similar to Ramon Hernandez but they won't be enough to get the team out of 4th place. We need to be bold and show our players and opposing players that we are serious about winning. I doubt Tejada or most fans would be excited about signing Jose Cruz. But I think just the atmosphere alone in the ballpark when Lee or Soriano are announced in the batting order would almost justify the contract. The park is dead right now... no where near where it was even a few years ago by my own estimations. The goal should be to win (as soon as possible) and excite the fans so we better spend the money if we have it. Who knows what will be in next year's free agent market... no reason to save.

I'm still vacillating between three answers to this question:

1.) No

2.) Jesus, God, no!

3.) Not if the Yankees paid half his salary, just out of the goodness of their cold, pitiless hearts.

I'm leaning towards 2.

Sweet answer.

Even though he's a head case, I think the Orioles would be better off trying for another National outfielder, Jose Guillen (if he comes cheap).

Archived