Soriano

Sports Guy

I would keep an eye on Craig Wilson. The Yanks will be getting both Sheff and Matsui back next year, and they love love love their veterans. Might not be room for him.

If you have to overpay for either of the two, I would take Lee because he will likely come cheaper. But remember, it's going to be awfully tough to flat-out out-hit and out-homer the Yanks and the Sox, and we should really concentrate on getting that ace, be it Jason Schmidt or Barry Zito or whoever.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why does it have to be a player coming cheap? I'm tired of our going after cheapskate options like Conine and Millar and hoping they have a renaissance or something. I know Guillen has a nice track record, but how can we know how he'll bounce back from this injury? Soriano and Lee have been fairly consistent, and PA will like them because they don't have a bad injury history. I say we sign Soriano, Wilson, and someone to platoon with Patterson in CF (Cruz?) Our offense would improve dramatically, and we wouldn't have to count on bouncebacks from injury or have to worry about declining due to age (in the next 2-3 years, which is our window of time with Tejada/Mora).

Also, I'm not sure if this has actually been said, but isn't there something about Schmidt/Zito preferring the west coast or a contender like the New Yorks? I know Zito's name has been connected to both the Mets and Yankees. And the Japanese pitcher (Matzuka?) will likely go to the loser of the Zito bidding... Maybe if we go hard after Schmidt, we can give him an offer he can't refuse. Or, more likely, PA will balk at giving a pitcher a long contract and would prefer to hang his hopes on the young guns. I'm not sure if I blame him on that because FA pitchers are always risky, and we do need a lot of offense too.

Conserning Soriano, I think he'e going to go where he can play 2B. Best landing spots are Mets, Dodgers, Angels, Cubs or the Nats where Vidro said he would move to SS. I'd wager the odds of landing Soriano about 30-1.

I just hope we don't piss around and waste time on him. I would bet odds are very good Craig Wilson ends up an Oriole if not kept by the Yankees.

Who in their right mind would play Soriano at 2B for that kind of money? That's just silly. Second coming of Jose Offerman.

Exactly. I wouldn't mind him at 3/25, but giving him what he's going to ask would be as goofy as the contract Kris Benson got.

Are you referring to ALFONSO Soriano? This is a dead year for FA. Soriano is a big talent having a big year. Payday is looming.

Mets are going to be an amazing team for a long long time.

Yea...An offense with Delgado, Wright, Soriano, Reyes, LoDuca, Beltran and Milledge is pretty solid. Add in Pedro, Pelfrey and when they sign Zito, to go along with a good pen headed by Wagner and you have a very good team...Plus, they would be relatively young in their core.

A question about the Mets: How much money do they still have left? With their extensions of Reyes/Wright, plus the fairly big contracts for Pedro, Glavine, Wagner, Delgado and monster Beltran contract, if they go for Zito/Schmidt/Matsuzaka, how much are their owners willing to spend beyond that? What is the Mets projected payroll for next year assuming no FA signings?

There's a difference between being wasting roster space on Millar/Conine because you're cheap and blowing a 5/75 wad on an incredibly overrated player when you can pick up a good 1B in Craig Wilson and a decent LF platoon in Delluci/Cruz and still retain the great up the middle production (Tejada, Roberts are the best keystone combo in the bigs and will be for the next 3 years) you've got. Then you've got loot left to go nuts for Jason Schmidt and viola, you've added 15 wins to the team.

Are you referring to ALFONSO Soriano? This is a dead year for FA. Soriano is a big talent having a big year. Payday is looming.

Just because some team is going to be enough of a sucker to pay him his 5/75 doesn't mean it's a good idea.

A question about the Mets: How much money do they still have left? With their extensions of Reyes/Wright, plus the fairly big contracts for Pedro, Glavine, Wagner, Delgado and monster Beltran contract, if they go for Zito/Schmidt/Matsuzaka, how much are their owners willing to spend beyond that? What is the Mets projected payroll for next year assuming no FA signings?

Well, they have money to spend i am sure, especially with their new stadium lurking.

Depending on what happens with Glavine, they could lose up to 10-20 million off of their payroll.

I forgot about Oliver Perez. If he can find his stuff again, he can be very dominant.

I think adding Craig Wilson is a mistake unless he signs for 3 years or less and 6 million a year or less.

Go get a freakin young first baseman!!! Now, if you are signing Wilson because you are trading Gibbons, fine.

But can we PLEASE go get a Carter or Kotchman or someone like that and have a top young talent that is cheap!!!!

Archived