Soriano

Sports Guy

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest oriofan8
Why would any first tier free agent want to come to Baltimore? There are about twenty five teams that have a better chance of making the playoffs then the O's.

The same reason most of them go to any team...$$$...length of contract..$$$....mostly about the $$$:D

Look how many different teams have "won it all" the last 10 yrs or so...How 'bout this year...Look at the Reds....look at the Tigers...how 'bout them Mets !! Some of their fans, I'm sure, have asked the same questions not too many years back.

There's a difference between being wasting roster space on Millar/Conine because you're cheap and blowing a 5/75 wad on an incredibly overrated player when you can pick up a good 1B in Craig Wilson and a decent LF platoon in Delluci/Cruz and still retain the great up the middle production (Tejada, Roberts are the best keystone combo in the bigs and will be for the next 3 years) you've got. Then you've got loot left to go nuts for Jason Schmidt and viola, you've added 15 wins to the team.
You want to sign Frank Viola?! :D

...BUT SERIOUSLY, FOLKS...

This is exactly the direction I'd go. Soriano is a flashy player, but look at what the team really needs to compete next year:

-A better bench; more depth

-An ace, so you only need 2 young pitchers to come through instead of 3

-At least league average production from LF and 1B, which we DON'T HAVE right now.

-A bullpen :D We can work on that one later!

Look at Cruz or Marrero PLUS Dellucci or Catalanotto for LF.

I like Craig Wilson at 1B, but if a deal is there for a guy like Justin Huber, pick one of the lower-level arms and send him out. I'd rather get Wilson and stockpile the arms, but either method is fine.

Get a solid young backup catcher like Closser or Torrealba from COL. This guy should be ready to catch twice a week, so he needs to be able to hit a little. What about - dare I say - Fasano? Not young, but he can hit a little.

Then, of course, do whatever it takes to get Schmidt. Many won't agree, but I'd rather give Schmidt 4/60 then Soriano 5/75.

I saw this weekend that it is rumored that he is looking for 5/75...To get him here, we likely have to go more than that.

Do you go after him?

Just because he is looking for that doesn't mean he'll get it. I don't think we'll get him, and that's a good thing, but I would be surprised if he actually got 5/75 from anyone.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't we trying to get him from the Yankees during the first fire sale? they offered Deangelo Jiminez and we demanded Soriano.

Are you sure? I thought it was the other way around. The Yankee's were offering Soriano, but the O's wanted Jiminez. Jiminez was the higher rated prospect (don't remember Soriano projecting as a power hitter in the minors) but remember thinking, "Why in the world would the FO want a guy who just had a major neck injury?".

That's ok ... we kept Surhoff and ended up with Luis Rivera and Trenidad Hubbard. ;)

5/75 to Soriano is a contract we'll be begging to get rid of when really good FA's are on the market and we're still getting that .270/.300/.490 from our highest-paid player and languishing in 81-win purgatory(provided the young pitching turns out to be tolerable)

Exactly how many 5-tool position players are you expecting to hit the market???

I'd expect almost Hafnerian offense for 5/75.

Hell, I would pay Pujols 6/180.

What?! Is my math wrong, or did you just say you'd give someone $30 Million a year for 6 years???? (how did no one comment on this??)

I would prefer that too. I really don't want to give 5-7 year deals to Sorinao or Lee. They should really start talking to Burrell somehow to waive that no trade clause.

He's 30 years old, only hit more than 30 HR twice, 100+ RBI's twice and is owed $27 Mil. over the next 2 years. Not to mention that you'd have to extend his contract just to get him here. Both Soriano and Lee would give you better production for the same amount of money and you wouldn't have to give up any prospects.

The worse and worse Lee plays, the more likely that is sounding although the big money teams are likely to be in on him(and Soriano) and that alone could get his value up quickly.

Huh? Lee has a .915 OPS with the Rangers opposed to an .896 with the Brewers.

Why would any first tier free agent want to come to Baltimore? There are about twenty five teams that have a better chance of making the playoffs then the O's.

Exactly! King ****ing Peter is not and i repeat not gonna sign any one player to 15 mil per. Just not gonna happen. If Albert freakin Pujols was a freeagent he would not get that kind of money out of Tightwad Pete.

Oh ok...He struggled when he first got there and hadn't checked his stats in a while.

Still only has 2 homers...If he comtinues to hit well, he will get more than 5/55.

Depends who goes after him, but I doubt he gets more than that, at least not much more.

Many thought the Jays overpaid for Glaus, well he got 4/45, I don't think Lee has more value.

Depends who goes after him, but I doubt he gets more than that, at least not much more.

Many thought the Jays overpaid for Glaus, well he got 4/45, I don't think Lee has more value.

The DBacks signed Glaus and Glaus was coming off an injury plagued year.

Also, i thinkt here was more of a selection that year as well.

Archived