Orioles attendance so far -- not encouraging

Frobby

The O's are averaging 21,517 fans per game in 2011, compared to 24,163 through the same number of home events in 2010. Plus, the O's lost one Friday night date that got washed out and turned into a single-admission doubleheader, and another Friday night date with the Yankees which, when it is made up, will probably be on a less attractive day of the week. Even last weekend's games with the Yankees drew pretty lackluster crowds, as did last night's with Boston.

I sure hope this team can win some games and get the fans more excited about coming out to the ballpark. Apparently, the strong finish last year didn't induce a lot of people to go out and buy ticket packages over the winter.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The O's are averaging 21,517 fans per game in 2011, compared to 24,163 through the same number of home events in 2010. Plus, the O's lost one Friday night date that got washed out and turned into a single-admission doubleheader, and another Friday night date with the Yankees which, when it is made up, will probably be on a less attractive day of the week. Even last weekend's games with the Yankees drew pretty lackluster crowds, as did last night's with Boston.

I sure hope this team can win some games and get the fans more excited about coming out to the ballpark. Apparently, the strong finish last year didn't induce a lot of people to go out and buy ticket packages over the winter.

Which is weird, because all reports I had heard during the offseason indicated that package sales were up.

The O's had the fourth least attended game yesterday. The Marlins outdrew the O's. The prime game pricing might be hurting the O's more then you think. Paying up to $30.00 more to see a Yankee or Red Sox game is steep. It keeps the O's fans away and might be keeping the Yanks and Sox fans away. The price of gas going up and the economy might be keeping the fans from making the trip down. Since the O's started the prime game pricing attendance has gone down for the Yanks and Sox games.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/bal/ticketing/seating_pricing.jsp

Even though it is, by far, the biggest reason, team performance is not the only reason for the horrid attendance. There are a host of little things that become significant when added up. Prime game pricing. Walk-up/day of game prices higher. Concession cost. Parking. Competition for the entertainment dollar. The economy.

The organization just sits back and hopes that the wins will come and along with them, the crowds. But, they need to start thinking outside the box.

The Orioles are in a much better position to market day of game sales then almost any other club. The Inner Harbor still draws a lot of people. Put a kiosk there to sell day of game tickets. Maybe have some ex-O's around there on game day to sign autographs and help draw interest.

Put a kiosk in Hilton, the Hyatt, the Sheraton, and a few other hotels at the Inner harbor. There is an increasing number of cruise ship customers using the Port of Baltimore as a departure port. Make deals with the cruise lines to offer game tickets as part of their "day early/ stay over packages.

Have bargain nights that drop prices on all seats rather then just upper deck.

Rollback all prices.

have more stuff going on at Eutaw Street to draw people and help sell tickets.

I went to the game on Tuesday and there was more people in the upper deck then in the lower deck. The cost of a Prime game is absolutely absurd. I have a 13 game package in Section 82 and my tix were $25 a seat. I traded in my Wednesday's game tix for Tuesday's game and the rep told me these tix were going for $52!!!! People cannot afford to spend that money so they are sitting in the upper deck.

Economy is the factor. All sports are becoming to expensive to attend.

If this was true, attendance would have plummeted in 2009, when unemployment swelled well above 10% and the stock market was falling apart. Instead, MLB finished with its 5th highest attendance ever.

I just don't buy the fact that people all of a sudden think it's too expensive to attend a game. Sports are one of the few outlets a lot of people have, and they will pay out the nose for it.

I think those mentioning weather have nailed it. The weather has been AWFUL a lot this April. Just awful. Let's see where attendance stands in a few more weeks.

You can't blame the weather for these last two games, though. It's been beautiful. There were storms all around Maryland last night, but they didn't reach Camden Yards.

Archived