Orioles attendance so far -- not encouraging

Frobby

But sooner or later you turn off the fans. You lose thirteen years straight . You charge a service charge to walk up fans. You charge $30.00 extra for a game against the Yanks and Red Sox. Gas is near $4.00 a gallon. The O's attendance last year was down for the Yanks and Sox series. The O's had a good product they would draw better but charging 20 to 50% extra for a prime game is too much.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Weather all across baseball has been horrendous. I'm curious what the average rates for all teams are at this rate compared to last year. Anyone have that data?

Weather has nothing to do with it.

Its all about pre-season sales and while they improved for the O's, they still have a long way to go.

Grimed1 is right...The prime game ticket increases are a joke. The Orioles went overboard with that.

Its one thing to charge $5-10 more..I get that. But 30 or more? That's ridiculous.

Weather has nothing to do with it.

Its all about pre-season sales and while they improved for the O's, they still have a long way to go.

Grimed1 is right...The prime game ticket increases are a joke. The Orioles went overboard with that.

Its one thing to charge $5-10 more..I get that. But 30 or more? That's ridiculous.

Is it $30 more per game if you buy a block of games that fall into that category? I would think this extra charge as well as the walk up is to sting the out of towners primarily. That would only hold water if the locals are able to buy discounted tickets for those same games in some form or another.

I am sure it didn't have a huge impact but losing 8 in a row and 10 out of 12 didn't help the O's ride the wave of enthusiasm after the 6-1 start.

If we were 13-9 right now, I think we'd be seeing a little more fans at the games. Especially if the weather was cooperative.

The O's goal is around 2M... If the O's can avoid being buried early, I think they'll have a good opportunity to exceed that. If this winds-up being an 80-85 win team, I think 2.2M is within reach.

That said, Frobby made good points in the OP.

So let me get this straight, we are averaging 10% LESS fans this year and you think an almost 30% jump in attendance is "within reach"?

I hate to break the news to you but we have zero chance of adding 500k to the attendance total from last year. None.

Is it $30 more per game if you buy a block of games that fall into that category? I would think this extra charge as well as the walk up is to sting the out of towners primarily. That would only hold water if the locals are able to buy discounted tickets for those same games in some form or another.

Season tickets holders don't have to pay the prime seat fees. But,if a person wanted to go to the game yesterday,he would have to pay prime seat charge plus the service fees. Nice day and you want to take the kids to the park will cost alot.

To be fair,it's not just the O's The Cubs have five different prices based on the team. I guess this could be a reason MLB attendance is also down.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/chc/ticketing/seating.jsp#pricing

Season tickets holders don't have to pay the prime seat fees. But,if a person wanted to go to the game yesterday,he would have to pay prime seat charge plus the service fees. Nice day and you want to take the kids to the park will cost alot.

To be fair,it's not just the O's The Cubs have five different prices based on the team. I guess this could be a reason MLB attendance is also down.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/chc/ticketing/seating.jsp#pricing

I thought you could buy a block of games without buying season tickets?

The O's charge more for group tickets to Prime games. Click on the Red Sox game and seats are $18.00 for LF Upper Reserve, The gane against the Rays is only $9.00 for that seat.

Gather up your friends, co-workers and more to enjoy a memorable Group Outing at Oriole Park at Camden Yards. Groups of 15 or more fans can instantly order tickets below (with discounts on all non-prime games)

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/bal/ticketing/group.jsp

You can't blame the weather for these last two games, though. It's been beautiful. There were storms all around Maryland last night, but they didn't reach Camden Yards.

There were tornando warnings all over the place last night. I know for a fact many people coming from the south stayed home.

15K for a red sox game is pathetic. I dont think weather has been the main factor but I do think it has played a role. It definitely did last night.

The Twins only charge around $10.00 more for premium games.

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/min/ticketing/singlegame_pricing.jsp

And they are able to sustain a huge payroll now.

Yes, they have won but it shows that you don't have to charge those prices and you would figure those teams may be more inclined to do it because the Yanks and Sox don't come into town as often as they do here.

The end of the day, the Orioles are basically welcoming the fans of Boston and NY but are charging them more. That is what it boils down to.

There has always been the theory that MLB was closing in on a "tipping point". That point would be when folks, especially families, decide that going to a baseball game was no longer a viable option and that thee are better ways for them to spend a dwindling entertainment dollar. All the nickle and diming is chasing the family away.

Luxury suites are for profit. You need families to come to the games in order to pay the bills.

Yeah, I think so. If the O's get into June and are still .500 ish, and not completely out of the Wild Card... all of the focus around town will not be getting ready for Ravens training camp in July.

The attendence so far matters, but not as much as the tickets already sold for later in the year.

The O's are hoping they get to two million this year. This is the marketing departments goal. They need to stay competitive,all year.

The Rays are worse for ticket prices. Charge $3.00 extra for tickets sold five hours or less before gametime. Tickets for Yanks and Red Sox are a big ripoff. Diamond plan is for these games.

Teams are turning fans away. Cubs,Rays,etc.

http://tampabay.rays.mlb.com/tb/ticketing/seating_pricing.jsp

Archived