Machado doing what he needs to do to get a promotion?

Gurgi

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, he hit a home run over the Purdue Stadium scoreboard so that's about 400+ ft home run so I would say his power is very real. Obviously the talent he possesses should translate well to the upper levels but until he gets there there's no way to know for sure. Is he just in a hot streak or is he amazingly good? I don't think anyone can say for certain. The pitching in Low-A ball is not very good overall so it's always hard to gauge hitters. What I love though is the plate discipline that's going along with the power. Also, when I saw him, he doesn't chase pitches off the plate. He seems to pick up pitches very well as well.

I think the Orioles will be fairly aggressive with Machado, but I do think they will give him at least until the All-Star break at Delmarva before making a move. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but unless he stops getting pitched to (which would be a valid reason to move him up) I don't think there is anything wrong with giving him the first half of the season with one team. He's already seen one team twice and according to his manager Ryan Minor they did make some adjustments to him and he made the necessary adjustments back. I'd like to see him face teams multiple times so he can get a full understanding of the adjustment game that will happen more heavily as he moves up.

I know everyone is excited, and rightfully so in my opinion, but there's no rush here at all. He's going to move quickly as long as he puts up this production but for me, it's important to have some stability in that first half of his first pro-season.

Do most other clubs have guys like this that they are having conversations about "how quick to move them" and "How do they compare to Arod's start" and "could he be here by the time he is 20 or 21yrs old"? I don't remember us having this kind of excitement over a young hitter like this but I am wondering if it is more common at the A- level with other clubs.

Do most other clubs have guys like this that they are having conversations about "how quick to move them" and "How do they compare to Arod's start" and "could he be here by the time he is 20 or 21yrs old"? I don't remember us having this kind of excitement over a young hitter like this but I am wondering if it is more common at the A- level with other clubs.

His numbers are better than Arod's at the same age and level. To me it is a matter of can he keep it up for the 65 games Arod did.

I think the SAL A-S game is in Salisbury too. They'll probably let him stay there for that, and then move him off to Frederick, unless he just doesn't let them.

I don't think the AS game is good reasoning, mainly because IIRC, the Orioles promoted Matusz? or Tillman? one start before they were supposed to start the AS game for their league.

His numbers are better than Arod's at the same age and level. To me it is a matter of can he keep it up for the 65 games Arod did.

Here is a quote a scout told to Jason Stark about Machado...

"I saw A-Rod at 18, and I think he might be better than A-Rod was as an 18-year-old. I've seen this kid do everything you'd want to see a superstar do."[espn]

Seems very generous but I cannot help to be excited about the future.

Show me where I said that they were. I was just talkign about all of the things he's currently going through. There is value in letting him get comfortable with a team before moving him.

I think you probably are in a similar mind with what the Orioles have in mind for him, and I'll definitely defer to your much (much, much...) closer view. The only question I would have is whether, if that is the case AND he is still hitting this well later in the month, it would be just as valuable to have him get that experience and comfort-level longer-term with the higher-level team?

I guess that is what I mean. How common is it for teams to have one guy that turns out the type of performance we have seen so far in A- or lower? Rowell had a huge start too if I remember but I don't think he was as touted. Is the hype + results so far a normal occurrence or an aberration?

I guess that is what I mean. How common is it for teams to have one guy that turns out the type of performance we have seen so far in A- or lower? Rowell had a huge start too if I remember but I don't think he was as touted. Is the hype + results so far a normal occurrence or an aberration?

It is pretty rare. As I poested elswhere, in the 14-team Sally League there are 9 players who have an OPS over 1.000. Most of those players are in their early 20's. There are two 20-year olds, and two 18-year olds (Machado and Harper). There are only 17 players born in 1992 or later in the entire league. So even playing in the Sally League at age 18 is a big accomplishment; excelling at that age is extremely unusual.

It is pretty rare. As I poested elswhere, in the 14-team Sally League there are 9 players who have an OPS over 1.000. Most of those players are in their early 20's. There are two 20-year olds, and two 18-year olds (Machado and Harper). There are only 17 players born in 1992 or later in the entire league. So even playing in the Sally League at age 18 is a big accomplishment; excelling at that age is extremely unusual.

Thank you for that. Let's hope he keeps it up!

The great news here is that, thus far, the Orioles haven't screwed this kid up.

If they don't do that and this kid develops the talent that we know he has, he is going to be a great player.

So hopefully Crowley never talks to the kid... :D

Archived