A couple of requests for Joe Jordan

Many people think Starling has the highest upside of any position player in the draft. That equates with superstar potential, I think. All things being equal or close, I'd prefer the college player as well. There have certainly been some glowing reports on Dylan Bundy, the HS arm. Law loved him and said he looked better than Taillon did last year. A snippet in Baseball America said that Bundy had touched 100 mph recently. Again, it's a question of how special the talent is. If it's close, I like the college guys in the first round. You have to be careful about throwing out definitivee statements though.

Well as I said in the OP if the high schooler is so good that he can make it to the majors in two years then that would be a good pick. Machado is certainly a good pick and I think he could move to Frederick this year and split between Bowie and Norfolk next year. Then be in the the major in 2013. From what I have heard about him and what I saw in ST that is not a crazy path. If Startling and Bundy are that good then fine. Draft one. However, Stotle's scouting report shows Starling as currently below average in hitting, power, defense and feel. That doesn't sound like the equal of Machado.

Overall college players are more developed and should allow Jordan and company to get a better read on what they will be in the majors. Certainly with a #4 pick he should be able to identify a pick that will be in majors in two years and have star potential.

Well as I said in the OP if the high schooler is so good that he can make it to the majors in two years then that would be a good pick. Machado is certainly a good pick and I think he could move to Frederick this year and split between Bowie and Norfolk next year. Then be in the the major in 2013. From what I have heard about him and what I saw in ST that is not a crazy path. If Startling and Bundy are that good then fine. Draft one. However, Stotle's scouting report shows Starling as currently below average in hitting, power, defense and feel. That doesn't sound like the equal of Machado.

Overall college players are more developed and should allow Jordan and company to get a better read on what they will be in the majors. Certainly with a #4 pick he should be able to identify a pick that will be in majors in two years and have star potential.

Machado had comparable "now" hit/power tools. Keep in mind that no high schooler is ready to step in and provide "average" hit/power production at the major league level. Starling's tools are superior to Machado -- I am sure someone like Jim Callis would confirm that opinion if asked.

Crow may not stay in the pen.

My post is about this years draft, so are you saying that Starling or Bundy are superstars? I have not heard that any of the high school players measure up to Machado. If that is true then a college player looks like the best pick to me.

Starling and Bundy are possibly a little bit better. With any HS pick there is projection involved of course, but superstar potential is there.

Machado had comparable "now" hit/power tools. Keep in mind that no high schooler is ready to step in and provide "average" hit/power production at the major league level. Starling's tools are superior to Machado -- I am sure someone like Jim Callis would confirm that opinion if asked.

Thanks Stotle.

Thanks Stotle.

No problem. To be clear, Machado is a more advanced player than Starling. It's just a question of ceiling vs probability, and neither player is a slouch in either department. I am sure you'd have plenty of evaluators that prefer each.

No problem. To be clear, Machado is a more advanced player than Starling. It's just a question of ceiling vs probability, and neither player is a slouch in either department. I am sure you'd have plenty of evaluators that prefer each.

Do you think the Machado will make it to the majors in two years? Do you think Starling will make it to the majors by the start of the 2014 season?

Do you think the Machado will make it to the majors in two years? Do you think Starling will make it to the majors by the start of the 2014 season?

I think with both of them it will be mostly dependent on desire and presented opportunity by their drafting organization. Nothing would shock me with Starling. I'd like to see Machado in person at Delmarva this summer before stating the same -- there is a little more to playing a ML shortstop than a ML right field, so that would be the biggest challenge for MM, in my opinion. I think more realistic time frames would be late 2013 for Machado and late 2014 for Starling, but that doesn't mean either of them can't beat that timetable.

I was all on the draft the best college arm available (unless Rendon falls) until the last week or so. Hearing some of the Bundy reports are really tempting me to go that direction.

I was all on the draft the best college arm available (unless Rendon falls) until the last week or so. Hearing some of the Bundy reports are really tempting me to go that direction.

All I want now is not Jed Bradley.

All I want now is not Jed Bradley.

I'll be at his start this weekend -- definitely an arm BAL should be considering, in my opinion (of course, I guess I'll see if I still feel that way after this weekend :)).

I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts. From what I've heard, the walks worry me.

I'll certainly be writing him up for the site and will post a link here.

His rate stats:

BB/9 - 2.99

SO/9 - 10.51

H/9 - 7.11

HR/9 - 0.00

Other stats

BAA - .215

WHIP - 1.13

ERA - 2.60

BABIP - .314

Archived