Gary Williams Retiring

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There aren't many major programs in major media markets. UConn, UCLA, and Maryland. This type of job doesn't open up often. Any coach with big market ambition can't ignore this. They might not get another chance.

I was a sophomore when we won the Championship. Gary is legend. FIST PUMP

If they want to stay local i'd say jimmy patsos is the guy. I am a big bruce pearl fan myself.

I wouldn't want anything to do with him. Not after he just got slapped with a ton of NCAA violations. Maryland doesn't need that.

So much I could say, but I'll just say THANK YOU GARY. He was an amazing energetic coach with a fiery attitude. He loved the fans and the students/fans loved him back. Maybe not the best recruiter yeah, but frankly I thought he did well and got the most out of what he had. Best of luck Gary.

Not sure who I'd want to coach next. Brad Stevens comes to mind. Someone with a great technical sense of the game. Tubby Smith would be okay too.

On another note cuz I don't feel like spending another post in the other thread, I am shocked that Jordan Williams declared for the draft. He's a mid 2nd round pick at best. A pudgy undersized forward without a jumper who can't make a free throw either....doesn't translate well to the NBA. I guess he did have a crappy attitude.

Shaka Smart anyone?

A pudgy undersized forward without a jumper who can't make a free throw either....doesn't translate well to the NBA. I guess he did have a crappy attitude

People said the same thing about Charles Barkely

The one thing I'm worried about in the short-term is how terrible this seems in terms of timing. We're almost two months since the Terps ended their season, and a month since the end of the tournament. Most jobs have been filled. So any coach that leaves for Maryland is going to leave their own college in the lurch.

I wonder if that would affect anyone's decision, particularly someone like Stevens?

I'm liking the attention on all the up an coming coaches, but who are some former guys with MD connections? Gary's staff got plundered after the Final Fours where are those guys now? (yes i'm just mixing it up here)

Patsos for sure.

John Lucas is currently an assistant coach with the Clippers, his baggage might not fit with College kids.

I don't see Len Elmore leaving broadcasting to recruit.

Sarunas Jasikevicius? That's a stretch for sure. He is still playing in Greece.

I'm surprised at all the people who would be on board with a Tubby hire. I can't see him taking this program to an elite level year in and year out. Gary built it, we need someone to take it to the next level, not hope to maintain.

Tubby is a fine coach and all, but he's not the right guy for this job, IMO.

I'm surprised at all the people who would be on board with a Tubby hire. I can't see him taking this program to an elite level year in and year out. Gary built it, we need someone to take it to the next level, not hope to maintain.

Tubby is a fine coach and all, but he's not the right guy for this job, IMO.

I'd be disappointed with a Tubby hire.

It's Sean Miller or bust for me. He's the only guy I'd truly be "ecstatic" about. Brad Stevens is a pipe dream IMO.

Archived