Machado injured?

tywright

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The MRI and second opinion confirmed it was a Patellar Suluxation (dislocated kneecap). The hope is that Machado will be back and ready to play by mid-week next week (May 17th timetable).

How is May 17th looking?

I was told no earlier than 7-days on Saturday so we're probably looking at a May 21st time frame under best case scenario...I tweeted John Stockstill's comments on Saturday....

Should we start to become worried more now. It seems like the O's keep pushing back the timetable. It's hard to trust what they say in these situations.

Should we start to become worried more now. It seems like the O's keep pushing back the timetable. It's hard to trust what they say in these situations.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions. There's no reason to be anything but cautious with Machado. The nature of the injury isn't severe, so that's the most important thing.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions. There's no reason to be anything but cautious with Machado. The nature of the injury isn't severe, so that's the most important thing.

I think that's the real key. This is the kind of injury that can reoccur and can cause more damage so I'm sure they want to make sure he's back to 100% before putting him back on the field.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2011/05/orioles_news_and_notes_rotatio.html

According to Zreibec's news and notes he might not be back until June 1st.

That's not surprising really. I expected him to be out a lot longer than the original projection after reading about the injury online. The Orioles would be smart to just take their time and make sure he's felling 100% before putting him back out there. I'm sure he's doing a lot of strengthening exercises. It sucks that he's missing time, but he'll be fine once he gets back out there.

That's not surprising really. I expected him to be out a lot longer than the original projection after reading about the injury online. The Orioles would be smart to just take their time and make sure he's felling 100% before putting him back out there. I'm sure he's doing a lot of strengthening exercises. It sucks that he's missing time, but he'll be fine once he gets back out there.

He's young -- agree there is absolutely no reason to rush him out there. I honestly wouldn't care if he were out until late June and was focusing on PT and easing into baseball activities. Plenty of time.

As with any injury there is a normal progression. You have to pass the rehab part before starting sports specific training. Once the training starts it takes usually about 10-21 (10 on a first injury and more toward 21-30 with a surgical intervention) days to verify they are healthy enough. I cannot imagine the Orioles rushing this kid at all. As Tony has mentioned, this is the type of injury that can reoccur. I am treating a soccer player who just had his knee cap realigned and tightened. He is 6 months into his rehab progress and still not cleared to play yet. Although he will tell you that it is better than it has been for years. It had subluxed 5-8 times the past 2 years. There is no way the Orioles want their top prospect to need surgery at this age. I wouldn't hold your breath on the timelines being issued because there are too many variables. Sounds like he is making progress if they are thinking about starting sports specific training. Originally I was optomistic when they put him on the 7 day DL thinking it was more of a lateral tracking issue, but it appears it was a true subluxation. It takes time to tighten up the medial aspect of the knee and loosen up the lateral muscles. That being said, because I wrote this he will be cleared to play tomorrow.;)

As with any injury there is a normal progression. You have to pass the rehab part before starting sports specific training. Once the training starts it takes usually about 10-21 (10 on a first injury and more toward 21-30 with a surgical intervention) days to verify they are healthy enough. I cannot imagine the Orioles rushing this kid at all. As Tony has mentioned, this is the type of injury that can reoccur. I am treating a soccer player who just had his knee cap realigned and tightened. He is 6 months into his rehab progress and still not cleared to play yet. Although he will tell you that it is better than it has been for years. It had subluxed 5-8 times the past 2 years. There is no way the Orioles want their top prospect to need surgery at this age. I wouldn't hold your breath on the timelines being issued because there are too many variables. Sounds like he is making progress if they are thinking about starting sports specific training. Originally I was optomistic when they put him on the 7 day DL thinking it was more of a lateral tracking issue, but it appears it was a true subluxation. It takes time to tighten up the medial aspect of the knee and loosen up the lateral muscles. That being said, because I wrote this he will be cleared to play tomorrow.;)

Despite the fact that I'd love for him to get back to action and continue putting up absurd numbers... I'd rather he stay healthy and work his way up to Baltimore and put up absurd numbers in Camden Yards... and other ballparks the Os visit.

Archived