New Coach Search

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anthony Grant is clearly the best available guy left but Anderson won't go that route.

BTW....thank god I have the Ravens. One organization(program) that has people running the show that have a clue. I feel bad for all of you that are stuck with the Redskins, O's, Terps, Wizards.

Your not kidding. I'm so thankful for the Ravens to consistently give us a quality product year in and year out, we are truly blessed. If only we could find a way to beat Big Ben.

Dick Weiss of the New York Daily News just posted the following via Twitter:

A lot of people don't like Turgeon because he has no East Coast connections and isn't really known to be a great recruiter. Turgeon was the guy I was really hoping we would avoid and of course (I'm laughing at this point as I say this)it's undoubtedly the guy we'll end up getting.

After reading everything about who could come in, who would fit best and what they bring, I feel the best solution is to just go wit Ehsan. It has potential to be a home-run pick plus he is very, very young at 28. Next Stevens?

A lot of people don't like Turgeon because he has no East Coast connections and isn't really known to be a great recruiter. Turgeon was the guy I was really hoping we would avoid and of course (I'm laughing at this point as I say this)it's undoubtedly the guy we'll end up getting.

Brad Stevens has no east coast connections either, and he was at or near the top of everyone's list. I agree that Turgeon doesn't inspire any excitement (think, Randy Edsall Part II), but he's a decent coach, is relatively young, and has recruited good players to the college basketball version of Siberia. There are far worse options out there. The sad truth is that we are seeing that MD is not the high-end destination for college coaches that we may have believed it was....especially this late in the game.

Guest baltimore34

Just a thought. Knew he was hear under Gary for a while. Didn't really keep up how was doing.

Brad Stevens has no east coast connections either' date=' and he was at or near the top of everyone's list. I agree that Turgeon doesn't inspire any excitement (think, Randy Edsall Part II), but he's a decent coach, is relatively young, and has recruited good players to the college basketball version of Siberia. There are far worse options out there. The sad truth is that we are seeing that MD is not the high-end destination for college coaches that we may have believed it was....especially this late in the game.[/quote']

I'll continue to stick my head in the sand but almost every talking head in basketball has said this is a top 15 job. Anderson screwed this up He'll be gone within 4 years. Book that.

Turgeon is almost the worst case scenario because it's likely he's going to give you what Gary gave you the last 10 years. He'll do just good enough to keep us from firing him but not good enough to be a contender. Absolutle best case scenario with this guy is he is mid 90s Gary. He'll consistently get you to the dance but won't get you past the Sweet 16. Outside of the elite coaches it's a crapshoot when mid major coaches move up to the big time. You might as well go high risk/high reward with Ehsan who has been here and has roots in local recruiting community.

Per Brent Harris of Comcast SportsNet via Twitter:

Lots of reports that Mark Turgeon is next Maryland coach.. Nothing official yet. #TerpNation #Terps
Some info on Mark Turgeon: Head coach at Texas A&M last 4 years, 97-40, went to NCAA each year (3-4).. Finish 6, 4, 2, 3 in Big 12

I still think he'll do a better job recruiting than GW did for sure.

Turgeon, while not a sexy pick, out performed MD over the past 4 years, making the tournament each year.

After reading everything about who could come in, who would fit best and what they bring, I feel the best solution is to just go wit Ehsan. It has potential to be a home-run pick plus he is very, very young at 28. Next Stevens?

Ehsan has never been a head coach at any level, not even high school. Do you really want to hand him the keys to an ACC program?

I still think he'll do a better job recruiting than GW did for sure.

Turgeon, while not a sexy pick, out performed MD over the past 4 years, making the tournament each year.

A big plus would be the ability to keep Ehsan and Ransom on the staff which would help retain the recruits that have commited and are currently recruiting. I'll give the guy a chance but I don't have a good feeling he'll work out here.

Ehsan has never been a head coach at any level' date=' not even high school. Do you really want to hand him the keys to an ACC program?[/quote']

High risk/high reward. I 100% believe we have more potential with Ehsan than Turgeon. If it fails we start over with a new AD picking a new coach in 3 or 4 years. That's not a bad thing.

Archived