New Coach Search

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This whole search was all too public.

Alot of times that's the media's fault. They want to be first, so they'll put out a rumor or their gut feeling. The problem is they keep doing this b/c there aren't any consequences, mostly reward.

Maryland contacted me about the head coaching job but I'm not interested.

Well now we finally have the rock solid proof to settle a several year OH debate of the appeal of the MD basketball program.

John Lucas is now mentioned as having interest.

For the record, I mentioned him early in the retirement thread.

His jersey is already in the rafters of Comcast.

He has NBA coaching experience so that could be a draw for recruits.

However, the guy has a history of drug abuse which might not be the best thing for College kids. Maybe not with him, just speculating.

John Lucas is now mentioned as having interest.

For the record, I mentioned him early in the retirement thread.

His jersey is already in the rafters of Comcast.

He has NBA coaching experience so that could be a draw for recruits.

However, the guy has a history of drug abuse which might not be the best thing for College kids. Maybe not with him, just speculating.

He'd be an awfu recruiter. Not just the drug use in his past, but this guy couldn't convince one of his own kids to go to MD.....how will he be any better at convincing someone else's?

I don't know guys, maybe going to the asst coach route is the best way to go now.

You keep Bino on, likely keep all recruits and maybe he can turn into the next Stevens or Smart...and if he isn't good, then you go after a new coach in a few years and do it at the right time of the year.

I don't know guys, maybe going to the asst coach route is the best way to go now.

You keep Bino on, likely keep all recruits and maybe he can turn into the next Stevens or Smart...and if he isn't good, then you go after a new coach in a few years and do it at the right time of the year.

Makes a lot of sense. As Mich as it would sting, going the "interim" route, without the actual tag, would be in the best interest of the program at this point. It would be better than teaching out and making a poor hire of a mediocre coach.

I go back and forth on this. For reasons you stated, Bino makes sense. You also figure with Gary being around, he can help him through his early coaching years if need be. The guy can recruit and that's what we need more of.

On the other hand, it's almost like hiring a Bino is sort of like Maryland waving the white flag. Like it's some sort of acknowledgment that the program is in bad shape.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel, except Ehsan would be the Head Coach. Very young and the players love him plus he can keep the recruits signed on. It has homerun potential written all over it and if it fails? We do like SG said, look for a new coach in a few years at the right time. Let's see how he does, I am a firm believer of him.

If they go the Asst route, they might as well keep Eshan (if Bino would stay). If you go the Asst route, the Terps should guage interest of Collins and Wojo.

Yea, that was my thought...I wasn't thinking of looking at another program's assistant.

I mean, what the hell at this point?

IMO, you either go that route or just go get Tubby Smith and get the best coach that is out there for you but one who isn't a long term option.

So, hypothetically...how does this situation make a program look?

Program X has been down for some time, missing the tournament more often than not in recent years. Head Coach retires. Top 2 recruits de-commit. Program X (who views itself as top flight program) then is UNABLE to hire a good coach. So, Head Coach comes out of retirements to coach a lame duck season for a roster that now has no real talent. Then, he retires again?

How in the world would you be able to (a) recruit and (b) find a real coach after that? What would recruits think of Ehsan when his old coach had to come out of retirement to babysit him for a few more years? Honestly, that situation would make the Terps look like a joke nationally.

First, the last thing I heard was that the top 2 recruits did not decommit. Second, most of the kids that we are recruiting are coming because of either Ehsan or Ransom. Gary has little to no influence over the recruits decisions. While other teams would certainly try to negatively recruit the situation it's not like it's doing any more harm than what Gary has done or (hasn"t done) in recruiting.

This whole process has gotten to the point it is now because Gary waited until May to retire and because ANderson jumped the gun and put all his eggs in Miller's basket. ANd I don't care how it looks nationally. Anderson already has egg on his face, I just want the best situation for the program. I'll take a little more egg on the face over hiring the wrong guy that takes this program down further than it's been the last 10 years. I'm in favor of handing the reins over to Ehsan now but I've already heard enough people saying you can't hand it over to a 29 yr old and a guy with 6yrs asst coaching experience. Since Gary will still be around the ideal situation would probably be to not have Gary be officially part of the coaching staff but instead behind the scenes working very closely with Ehsan.

Archived