New Coach Search

I'd like some details on that...how could they have screwed it up?

Outside of making a lowball contract offer, it had to have been the timing. Miller knew what the UM program offered, so it's not like Anderson should have had to sell him on that. The only other thing I can imagine is that Anderson wanted Miller to come back to CP and meet with some other folks (Loh) before making an official offer. And Miller, expecting a formal offer right there, didn't want too. The timing was everything to Miller who had a big time recruit coming to Tucson on Sunday, and if he was going to bail on Arizona it had to happen right then and there. Flying to College Park and spending a day or two interviewing with more people before getting an offer was not going to cut it.

Then again, maybe Anderson spilled coffee all over Miller's suit when they got up to shake hands. :noidea:

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd like some details on that...how could they have screwed it up?

Poor contractual offer...Maybe he didn't present the program properly.

You heard from several sources that the MD job was a dream job of Miller's and that he preferred the east coast.

So, with that being the case, what could you do to screw it up? Money is a big way to do that.

There was way too much smoke with the Miller definitively to MD for something not to have gone wrong. Hell, accinfo was telling anyone who would listen 3 months ago that this was Miller's dream job. As quickly as we jumped all over Miller we had to know he was legitimately interested. I've never believed that Miller was just using us to get more money out of Arizona.

My first thought was the amount of autonomy he would have as the head of the basketball progam. Coaches are type-a personalities and they don't like to have to answer to anyone or get permission from anyone.

Great point, and with GW still around, that could have played into it too. I'd love to learn more about it. Not landing Miller out of our own negligence is a huge setback and a hard pill to swallow.

There's now a couple of different reporters who have said that KA is the one who botched it. With the bases loaded and two outs, he just hit a pop up to the infield. The Terrapin Club is going to revolt on this guy soon. He's gone a year from now. I have to believe it.

Lots of comments on Twitter that Turgeon is the guy and its close to being done. CBSSportsline says that's premature but there's a ton of smoke there now.

Sorry, can't post link or comments as I'm on my phone.

Guest Boats&O's

Anybody else believe that, at this point, we are going to be stuck with a coach that is just mediocre? He won't be bad enough to fire, but he will also not take us to the next level. Why not just place the interim tag on Boothe, and if that works out take the tag off of him, and if not, just see who is available next year? I understand that it could be throwing away a season, but, in the long run, a lost season is better then a lost 5 years with a Turgeon-esque coach.

Let me know what you guys think. Obviously this is drastic, but I think that it could work if Boothe accepts the fact that he might not be the long-term answer.

Anybody else believe that' date=' at this point, we are going to be stuck with a coach that is just mediocre? He won't be bad enough to fire, but he will also not take us to the next level. [b']Why not just place the interim tag on Boothe, and if that works out take the tag off of him, and if not, just see who is available next year? [/b]I understand that it could be throwing away a season, but, in the long run, a lost season is better then a lost 5 years with a Turgeon-esque coach.

Let me know what you guys think. Obviously this is drastic, but I think that it could work if Boothe accepts the fact that he might not be the long-term answer.

Label a guy as interim for an entire season, and judge him based on how he does with a roster of players who aren't going to get a sniff at the NCAA's no matter who the coach is? Talk about setting someone up to fail. That would be a horrible thing to do to Booth, who is an alum, was a very popular player and was essentially the first Baltimore guy to finally come to MD after the Bob Wade disaster.

Speaking of Wade, bets on how long before KA calls him, if he hasn't already?

Lots of comments on Twitter that Turgeon is the guy and its close to being done. CBSSportsline says that's premature but there's a ton of smoke there now.

Sorry, can't post link or comments as I'm on my phone.

http://twitter.com/#!/goodmanonfox/status/67682172781334529

Sources told FOXSports.com Mark Turgeon is leaning towards accepting Maryland job - although it looked that way with Sean Miller as well.

Goodman is doing some CYA this time around.

http://twitter.com/#!/goodmanonfox/status/67682172781334529

Goodman is doing some CYA this time around.

I would think Turgeon takes the job.

The question is, is that a good hire?

He has done a good job, at a football school, to put a good team out there and has done it in a tough conference.

He was also pretty good at a mid major school.

But still, is this a better way to go vs the young asst coach or even a Tubby Smith?

Archived