3B: David Wright, NYM

SS: Jimmy Rollins, PHI

OF: Aaron Rowand, PHI

OF: Andruw Jones, ATL

OF: Carlos Beltran, NYM

OF: Jeff Francoeur, ATL

P: Greg Maddux, SD

It is a Derek Jeter upset. WOOOO.

Placido Polanco? Talk about giving out the GG based on hitting. I know it's impressive that he managed to go all year without an error, but his range really is limited. Aaron Hill should have run away with this award. Pedroia should have been a distant second. Maybe the baseball gods were getting the Blue Jays back for the year Orlando Hudson won it and said he was shocked he got it over Brian Roberts (I wish Brian would forget about his elbow and get his fielding mojo back :002_scry: ).

Wait... I posted before looking through the NL... David Wright?! Carlos Beltran?! Are you kidding me?! Who did the Mets pay off? That's just ridiculous. David Freaking Wright?! A Gold Glove?! :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with Beltran, who according to the Fielding Bible was the top CF this year. http://www.billjamesonline.net/fieldingbible/charts/leaders2-07.gif Wright ranked 6th among all MLB 3B so he's not an awful choice either. Polanco ranked 8th at 2B.

Nothing wrong with Beltran, who according to the Fielding Bible was the top CF this year. http://www.billjamesonline.net/fieldingbible/charts/leaders2-07.gif Wright ranked 6th among all MLB 3B so he's not an awful choice either. Polanco ranked 8th at 2B.

You can find a defensive stat to corroborate just about anything (well, except Jeter being a great shortstop), but I watched the Mets for most of this year and Beltran hurt the Mets at least as much as he helped. He has a real problem coming in on shallow fly balls. He did have some knee/leg problems which slowed him for a good part of the year too. Both Endy Chavez and Carlos Gomez were noticeable improvements when they filled in for him in CF. Wright is decent, but his range is only about average and he makes too many wild throws to be a legit gold glover. It's almost like since they didn't give Jeter one, they had to reward the other New York baseball stud. I wonder if his win here will factor into the Mets decision whether to move him to 1B to make room for ARod.

You can find a defensive stat to corroborate just about anything (well, except Jeter being a great shortstop), but I watched the Mets for most of this year and Beltran hurt the Mets at least as much as he helped.

Yes, I can find "a" defensive stat to corroborate just about anything, but in Betran's case:

Fielding Bible ranks him 1st in MLB

Bill James Win Shares ranks him 4th in MLB

Zone rating ranks him 5th in MLB

Range factor ranks him 8th in MLB

That is pretty unanimous statistical evidence that the guy is an upper echelon defensive CF.

Yes, I can find "a" defensive stat to corroborate just about anything, but in Betran's case:

Fielding Bible ranks him 1st in MLB

Bill James Win Shares ranks him 4th in MLB

Zone rating ranks him 5th in MLB

Range factor ranks him 8th in MLB

That is pretty unanimous statistical evidence that the guy is an upper echelon defensive CF.

As you and others who quote defensive stats have stated before, there are some times when defensive stats just make you scratch your head. Beltran is one of those cases for me. I watch him a lot and he looks to have lots of weaknesses. I didn't mean to be insulting to you with my response, I just don't buy Beltran as an outstanding defensive CF based on what I've seen with my own eyes.

C Ivan Rodriguez (Tigers) 13th time in 16 years

1B Kevin Youkilis (Red Sox) first-time winner

2B Placido Polanco (Tigers) first-time winner

SS Orlando Cabrera (Angels) 2nd time (NL in 2001)

3B Adrian Beltre (Mariners) first-time winner, first Dominican to win at 3B

OF Ichiro Suzuki (Mariners) 7th in a row

OF Torii Hunter (Twins) 7th in a row

OF Grady Sizemore (Indians) first-time winner

P Johan Santana (Twins) first-time winner

C: Russell Martin, LA first-time winner

1B: Derrek Lee, CHC 3rd time in five years

2B: Orlando Hudson, ARI 3rd in a row (AL & NL)

3B: David Wright, NYM first-time winner

SS: Jimmy Rollins, PHI first-time winner

OF: Aaron Rowand, PHI first-time winner

OF: Andruw Jones, ATL 10th in a row

OF: Carlos Beltran, NYM 2nd in a row

OF: Jeff Francoeur, ATL first-time winner

P: Greg Maddux, SD 17th in 18 years

These awards used to mean a lot to me. I still have a page ripped out of a 1977 Orioles program showing Brooks Robinson and all his Gold Gloves that he signed for me.

Ever since Palmeiro's farcical win with just 28 games @ 1B though, I just can't work up any feelings about the voting anymore.

Do you think it's very fair that every OF chosen for GG has been a CFer except for Francouer because Andruw already had it. Can't say I agree with this, it should be LF,CF,RF, more competition that way.

There should be distinctions between LF, CF & RF.

I've always been disappointed that there are not. Ditto for ASG voting.

Archived