2007 Gold Glove Winners

Crazysilver03

As you and others who quote defensive stats have stated before, there are some times when defensive stats just make you scratch your head. Beltran is one of those cases for me. I watch him a lot and he looks to have lots of weaknesses. I didn't mean to be insulting to you with my response, I just don't buy Beltran as an outstanding defensive CF based on what I've seen with my own eyes.

On a panel of nine experts, he was ranked 1-4 by 8 panelists and 9th

by one.

http://www.billjamesonline.net/fieldingbible/charts/voting2.gif

Man, I just realized that Maddux' 17th Gold Glove gives him one more than Brooksie.

Feels like a shame.

Rob Neyer prevented Maddux from getting the Fielding Bible Gold Glove award by ranking him 10th! Most of the other voters ranked Maddux first, but Neyers's vote made enough difference that Santana edged Maddux out by a couple points. IIRC, Maddux had a +10 ikn 2007 on the Fielding Bible rating system whereas Santana was only at +5.

I think that the Fielding Bible +/- rating system probably does a better job of providing us an objective assessment of fielding skills, but I doubt if it's perfect. A fielder with a high plus score is almost certainly a cut above average while a fielder with a high negative score probably is worse than most of his peers, but I'm not convinced that the scores don't fluctuate quite a bit from year to year due to opportunity and "luck". I notice that the Fielding Bible posts 3-year ratings for 2004-2006 and 2005-2007 and I imagine those are a little more accurate reflections of fielding ability than the ratings for a single season, especially for pitchers.

I also noticed that they have +/- ratings for catchers. I'd be interested in how they assign those, since catchers do so many things which are equally or more important than fielding hit balls.

O-Dog has a nasty habit of robbing your boys of Gold Gloves. ;)

Seriously though, the guy is awesome. He definitely deserved to get at least one at some point in his career.

I find it highly annoying too, LOL :D

Brandon is amazing in the field and I'm hoping he wins one of these things sometime soon. He's just awesome at second base. I could watch him play all the time.....oh wait, I actually do! Silly me, LOL ;)

Do you guys think Nick Markakis got any outfield votes this year? He's pretty great in right field. :)

Archived