Roberts, How often does he really hustle?

21xxxv

To compare Roberts to Jeter in terms of hustle is a joke. Jeter busts his ass down the line even when he grounds back to the pitcher. Markakis hustles the same way on our team. Roberts simply does not. You can be blind or you can open your eyes and tell it like it is. It's your choice.

This is simply not true. You can be blind, or open YOUR eyes and tell it like it is. I am subjected to watch every Yankee game Tues-Sat. Jeter does NOT bust it down the line when he hits the ball to the right side of the infield or straight back to the pitcher. The Legend of Derek Jeter certaintly precedes him.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Amazing. Do you think Roberts and Jeter are comparable when it comes to hustle?

No, I certainly don't. You made a definitive statement that was horribly untrue, though. Jeter may run "harder" down the line on plays that he knows are routine, but he never busts his ass down the line unless he hits a dribbler or something deep in a hole on the left side of the infield.

First of all, I'm a Yankee hater and root against Jeter in every AB. Despite that, I have to admire the way he plays the game. He runs EVERY groundball out. Do I believe you've seen him jog to first on a groundball. NO!!!! So, either you are mistaken or a liar. I've watched tons of Yankees baseball before I had the ability to watch O's games. I think I've probably watched a LOT more than you.

Still, the POINT is that Jeter runs hard on EVERY groundball or VIRTUALLY every groundball. Roberts consistently jakes it down the line, and that has been going on long before he back became an issue. Roberts digs down the line when he thinks it matters. He just doesn't think it matters when it looks like he's going to be out easily. If you can't distinguish between this kind of hustle and the kind we're talking about with players like Jeter and Markakis, then there's just no hope of getting through to you.

Jeter doesn't run out every grounder. I've spent time in the stands and in the pressbox seeing more Yankees action than any human should be exposed to.

I don't dispute that Roberts seems to ratchet up the hustle when he thinks it matters and that he dogs it too much. I'm not arguing that at all. I'm saying that no one seems to care when he's not mired in a slump.

Ah, but who cares, right? I'm but a hopeless liar. :rolleyes:

No, I certainly don't. You made a definitive statement that was horribly untrue, though. Jeter may run "harder" down the line on plays that he knows are routine, but he never busts his ass down the line unless he hits a dribbler or something deep in a hole on the left side of the infield.

This is all I was saying. Thank you.

Just like your remember Jeter jogging to first sometime in the past, I remember these discussions when Roberts was hitting. Why call out the thread? Why not discss the lack of hustle?

I made a relevant observation that was on-topic and accurate. Please...by all means...YOU discuss the lack of hustle. Have at it! I don't dispute that it exists at all. I have a few ideas as to what's behind it as well, but I'll keep them to myself. But don't tell me how to post please. Thanks!

You agree with a guy who has no clue. Jeter busts his ass on routine grounballs. Watch the game tonight.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/177P2557Enk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You can apologize for calling me a liar publicly or privately. Doesn't matter which, really. He clearly didn't "bust his ass" all the way down the line.

Sorry...I've seen all 3 of those guys jog out a ground out.

The myth that Jeter runs out all ground balls is baloney. I have no problem with BRob's level of effort. I just want him to start getting on base more.

http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/29930387

Head down, jogs to and steps on the bag. Totally different from the flying outstretched leg of Jeter getting beaten by a step you see in a playoff game or close and late.

By the way, it's really hard to find documented video highlights of a routine groundout in a meaningless situation, which is when players (including Jeter) don't run everything out.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/177P2557Enk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You can apologize for calling me a liar publicly or privately. Doesn't matter which, really. He clearly didn't "bust his ass" all the way down the line.

He ran very hard out of the box, pulled up once the throw hit the glove. I fail to see any lack of hustle there.

I think public is the way to go here. RZNJ, you are a) wrong, b) way out of line (mistaken or a liar? please). Own up.

http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/29930387

Head down, jogs to and steps on the bag. Totally different from the flying outstretched leg of Jeter getting beaten by a step you see in a playoff game or close and late.

By the way, it's really hard to find documented video highlights of a routine groundout in a meaningless situation, which is when players (including Jeter) don't run everything out.

Scottie gave you a hand. :)

The fact that you can google and find a play where Jeter only runs hard on ball back to the pitcher, instead of busting his ass, is clearly a good time to apologize. Thanks for the neg rep, DB.

What? You mean where he doesn't run hard? What are you even talking about at this point?

I'll apologize because that is clearly not busting his ass but it is hustle. Roberts doesn't even reach 1B on that play. Comparing the two in terms of hustle is ridiculous.

If Roberts ran exactly that hard, he would have been safe today. Jeter ran hard thru the fielding and only slowed when the throw was made. I can live with that. Force the fielder to make a clean play.

I'll apologize because that is clearly not busting his ass but it is hustle. Roberts doesn't even reach 1B on that play. Comparing the two in terms of hustle is ridiculous.

Apology accepted. Again...I don't dispute that Jeter hustles more than Roberts. I also agree that Roberts pulls up WAY before Jeter does in that situation.

You're not even the one that first mentioned Jeter (and Pedroia & Youkilis) in comparison, but I'm not going to let an absolute generalization like "so-and-so runs 100% on 100% of his ground outs."

For the record, I know it's unreasonable, but I think EVERY Major Leaguer should run it out EVERY time they put the ball in play. I'm guessing 162 games a season will take a little wind out of the sails of even the biggest gym class hero, though. :)

Archived