Roberts, How often does he really hustle?

21xxxv

Some things about Roberts:

- I'm not sure why he gets a free pass on steroids. He admitted to taking them. He is a cheat, and always will be in my eyes, which is really sad if it's true that he only tried them for a short period of time.

-Baseball players should run the ball out hard unless they have a good reason not to. Injury, blowout, out of the race in September as reasons not to run it out come to mind.

-If Roberts wasn't a likable guy, I think he'd catch a lot more grief from fans.

-While I have no idea what applies in this case, I question a player who is content to be the franchise player of a perennial loser. All players give lip-service to the desire to win, but I would bet that a large number of them really don't care as long as they perform well and make a lot of money. That's a cynical view on the world, but how many of us can say that we go to work because we love it and couldn't imagine doing anything else with our time? For some of us, we certainly can say it. But for many of us, work is a means to other ends. And where would I expect that sort of mentality to manifest itself? On the little things that don't really get noticed when it comes time to collect the paycheck, things like running hard to first base consistently.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The pattern's been consistent here, Chris. When Roberts is in a slump, people question his work ethic and hustle. When he's hitting .330, no one cares.

When Markakis struggles he isn't mentally tough but when he starts hitting I guess he is.

When Wieters struggles he has no bat speed but when he starts hitting he magically picks up bat speed.

When Roberts struggles he has no heart but when he's hitting everything he does is right.

Archived