Bedard contract extension?

Sports Guy

It seems worth pointing out that as a gross generalization, elite, professional athletes tend to be a supremely confident group.

More often than not, they don't think they're going to be injured.

And they certainly don't spend much time pondering the possibility that their performance is going to decline during their prime years.

I suspect that in Bedard's head, there's little doubt that he would be the single most coveted free agent in two years.

I agree. That's why one has agents, I think.

Look, I have no problem if Bedard's self-estimation prices him out of range for us. If that's the case, trade him now and bring in a haul of prospects. Bedard, locked up for two years, is a heckuva catch for some would-be contender.

I just want to make a fair offer - and what I proposed is more than fair. If/when he turns that down, I won't feel nearly as bad about watching him go. And, better, we get to control his destiny - we can feel free to ship him far away from Canada if we choose.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bedard can think that he is worth $18M per year as a free agent all he wants, but the truth is he is two years away from that point. Two healthy, productive years until the big payday is something he has no business taking for granted. Personally, I don't have faith in his physical health to sign him to an extension. He hasn't stayed healthy in his 20's, what makes him seem like a good bet to stay healthy as age keeps creeping up on him? I give him some figure like 4/48 and that is high end. If he is willing to gamble on $30M that is his choice.

I'd say a contract that's total worth is somewhere around 5/90.
That's ridiculous.

He's gonna get a max of $20M total over the next two years. So you are then paying him about $23M a year for his 3 free agency years. Does that sound like a good idea to you?

I honestly think that signing Bedard long term might be a bad idea for our rebuilding plan. He's our best trading chip, which should get us our CF and SS of the future, along with getting a young SP prospect and bullpen help. Those are 4 parts to completing the rebuilding puzzle. By the time 2010 comes along, we might actually have a better ace than Bedard would be 3 years from now.

If you do trade Bedard first then you can be more open to dealing Tejada because you don't necessarily have to get an OF and SS back for him. Tejada could be dealt for bullpen help, a high A/AA pitching prospect, and low A bat. And Hernandez could be dealt for the best offer.

You are willing to pay him 21 million a year in his FA years???? :eek::eek:

That's what he'd get on the open market, no question. I'm not saying I'd pay it, but if you are going to buy out his FA years and expect him to sign it, you'd better offer him FA money...

Archived