Schilling still with the Sawx.

MikeAD

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AvdZREodBkZz1uoiQi3Volw5nYcB?slug=ap-redsox-schilling&prov=ap&type=lgns

This makes me happy. He can have a terrible year in Boston instead of in Baltimore.

The deal is for one year and 8 million.

Two notes:

"Did I leave money on the table? Yes. Could I have gotten another year? I think so," Schilling said on his Web site. "Looking at the teams that called, my best guess would be around $14 million-$15 million for a one-year deal with the potential to get $25 million-$30 million for a two-year deal."

Schilling said he spoke with Houston's Drayton McLane and Ed Wade, and Philadelphia's Bill Giles. But he and his family preferred to stay with Boston.

"We got exactly what we wanted, and then some," he said. "This is where we want our career to come to a close. This city, this team. This is where we want to retire, raise our kids, and walk away. We got it, all of it, and more

I always hate to see a player give a discount to the MFYs or Boston. But you can't really hate Schilling.

Also there is a weight clause in the contract with incentives for him to stay in shape. This was his idea, I gues to affirm his dedication.

"I inserted the weigh-in clause in the second round of offers, counteroffers," Schilling said. "Given the mistakes I made last winter and into spring training, I needed to show them I recognized that, and understood the importance of it. Being overweight and out of shape are two different things. I also was completely broadsided by the fact that your body doesn't act/react the same way as you get older."

With the cost of pitching these days and the young starters who will have limited innings counts, I am glad that Curt is staying in Boston. Hopefully this year he will arrive in good shape and will continue to work on pitches that he can get outs for.

I was kind of reluctant to have him back, but the playoffs changed all that. It makes since to lock him up and perhaps go with a six man rotation, or at the least, have enough pitchers to rest some of the young and old guys.

According to Cots

may earn $6M in bonuses:

* $3M in performance bonuses based on innings ($0.375M each for 130, 140, 150, 160, 170, 180, 190 & 200 IP)

* $1M award bonus for receiving one Cy Young vote

* $2M in weight clauses ($333,333 each for maintaining weight in 6 random weigh-ins, one per month, during season)

YAY US! Schilling is done. If he's a part of the Sawx rotation, all the rest of the AL East breathes a sigh of relief one day in five.

Or six... as the case may be... :rolleyes:

Is this a joke? He had an ERA+ of 122 this year, 120 in 2006. Is it the 150 he's put up multiple times earlier in his career? No. Can he break 90 MPH any more? No. But I see no evidence that he's done. On the contrary, he seems to have made a significant adjustment to compensate for his lost velocity, and if he actually works out this offseason instead of sitting around playing Everquest, I think the Red Sox got a bargain. Especially when you consider that Boras wants $40 million for Kyle Lohse. KYLE LOHSE!!!

Archived