Williams or Turgeon?

Williams or Turgeon?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Williams or Turgeon?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The obvious answer is Turgeon...why? Because Gary was done coaching. He wasn't into it anymore like he was.

But the recruiting has been much better and for all the excitement people have over Bino, remember Gary brought him here.

For all the excitement people have about Faust staying, remember that it was a Gary led program that brought him here.

For all the excitement over Anderson, remember that it was a Gary led program that got his committment.

The recruiting may be better under Turgeon...or he may go with the players he always has...the same ones Gary would get.

I'll wait until Turgeon coaches a season or two before I make my decision. Non existent sample size right now.

Can't do that. That's the wishy-washy way out. This is why I worded it very distinctly. Knowing what you know right now, who would you want as coach if you HAD to make a choice. Status quo, or the Turgeon future. You can be a wimp ;) and choose not to pick, but the poll is either or. Status quo under Williams (remember, some of you think he was starting to land some great recruits again) or what you've seen from Turgeon. If its too early for you for Turgeon, then your choice should be simple, it's Gary Williams.

Agree with SG. The recruiting was improving.

I'm excited, but there is absolutely no way I would have fired Gary to bring in Turgeon.

That's the part of this old debate about Gary that is key to me. The bottomline to me is that Gary earned the right to go out on his own accord, which thankfully he was given the opportunity to do.

It's 3-2 in favor of Gary? Really?

I highly doubt GW is going to read these poll results, be honest people. This is absurd.

It's hard to break through that cult of personality that Gary has over folks. I'm trying to help them through it but it's clear people are afraid to vote because in their hearts they know the answer, but the koolaid tells them it's Gary. ;)

I don't see how anyone who has seen the steps Turgeon has taken already and not think the program is better off with those recruiting lanes opening up. I agree with the guys that say it remains to be seen still who they get, but clearly there is much more opportunity for impact local talent to come to Maryland from now on.

The obvious answer is Turgeon...why? Because Gary was done coaching. He wasn't into it anymore like he was.

But the recruiting has been much better and for all the excitement people have over Bino, remember Gary brought him here.

For all the excitement people have about Faust staying, remember that it was a Gary led program that brought him here.

For all the excitement over Anderson, remember that it was a Gary led program that got his commitment.

The recruiting may be better under Turgeon...or he may go with the players he always has...the same ones Gary would get.

This is so absurd it's not even worth debating. So it's doesn't really matter because everyone is here because of Gary and Turgeon is just going to end up with Gary-type players? Lord almighty, can't argue with that logic.

Oh yeah, you threw in a little qualifier that the recruiting "may be better." Definite afterthought there. :rolleyestf:

Go vote and stop avoiding it. You can only have one, Status quo or Turgeon.

Agree with SG. The recruiting was improving.

I'm excited, but there is absolutely no way I would have fired Gary to bring in Turgeon.

That's the part of this old debate about Gary that is key to me. The bottomline to me is that Gary earned the right to go out on his own accord, which thankfully he was given the opportunity to do.

Right...Which is the biggest thing Tony is absolutely ignoring.

There isn't one person that would have said Gary will around forever. At some point, he was going to leave.

But getting rid of a legend in an unfair manner, in which he is pushed out, isn't a good way to end things with him.

HOWEVER, if Gary retires on his own terms, stays with the program as the asst AD(and likely the eventual AD IMO) and has a hand in who they hire and smooth the transition, it does change things.

For years, Tony wanted Gary to retire...but if that didn't happen, Tony would have sent him a gift basket and said thanks but we are done with you. That would have set the program back.

But the manner in which this was handled, does change things on that level.

But still, the recruiting was getting better and Turgeon IS NOT a guy that has gone after and gotten the players Tony and so many others yearn for.

So, for all the stuff about being so happy abou Turgeon, the real question is, did they just get a younger version of Gary, who is probably a lesser coach?

This is so absurd it's not even worth debating. So it's doesn't really matter because everyone is here because of Gary and Turgeon is just going to end up with Gary-type players? Lord almighty, can't argue with that logic.

Oh yeah, you threw in a little qualifier that the recruiting "may be better." Definite afterthought there. :rolleyestf:

Go vote and stop avoiding it. You can only have one, Status quo or Turgeon.

LOL...Tony, you have yet to truly debate anything on this. For you to ignore all of that just speaks volumes on your ability to actually debate this and your true vendetta against Gary.

This is Jtrea type arguing. Ignore facts.

And I already answer your loaded little question..I said Turgeon is the obvious answer because Gary was done...if his heart was no longer in it, then of course you need to make a change.

Right...Which is the biggest thing Tony is absolutely ignoring.

There isn't one person that would have said Gary will around forever. At some point, he was going to leave.

But getting rid of a legend in an unfair manner, in which he is pushed out, isn't a good way to end things with him.

HOWEVER, if Gary retires on his own terms, stays with the program as the asst AD(and likely the eventual AD IMO) and has a hand in who they hire and smooth the transition, it does change things.

For years, Tony wanted Gary to retire...but if that didn't happen, Tony would have sent him a gift basket and said thanks but we are done with you. That would have set the program back.

But the manner in which this was handled, does change things on that level.

But still, the recruiting was getting better and Turgeon IS NOT a guy that has gone after and gotten the players Tony and so many others yearn for.

So, for all the stuff about being so happy abou Turgeon, the real question is, did they just get a younger version of Gary, who is probably a lesser coach?

I think the mere fact that Turgeon hired Dalonte Hill as an assistant is enough to show me that he at least intends to recruit differently than Gary. I agree that the results will speak for themselves and we don't know what they are yet. But I've seen enough to be convinced that his recruiting targets and tactics will be different than Gary's.

I think the mere fact that Turgeon hired Dalonte Hill as an assistant is enough to show me that he at least intends to recruit differently than Gary. I agree that the results will speak for themselves and we don't know what they are yet. But I've seen enough to be convinced that his recruiting targets and tactics will be different than Gary's.

But you all wanted Ehsam and Bino to stay and recruiting was obviously getting better. So, how much further do you all expect Turgeon to go with this?

One guy many of you wanted was Jamie Dixon...Do you know how many McDs AA Dixon has had at Pitt? ONE!!!

If Turgeon comes here and has one McDs AA in the next 8 years, what is the reaction going to be?

But you all wanted Ehsam and Bino to stay and recruiting was obviously getting better. So, how much further do you all expect Turgeon to go with this?

One guy many of you wanted was Jamie Dixon...Do you know how many McDs AA Dixon has had at Pitt? ONE!!!

If Turgeon comes here and has one McDs AA in the next 8 years, what is the reaction going to be?

The recruiting was finally starting to improve under Gary, I don't think any reasonable argument can be made otherwise. Gary hired Bino to recruit Baltimore, and Bino got Faust. Most of us wanted Ehsan to stay....he was making nice inroads in the DC area. Dalonte Hill already has great connections in DC, so that might just speed up the process. I don't know how actively engaged Gary was in the last year or so in talking to recruits, HS and AAU coaches. But by the accounts I've heard, it was more than in previous years but nothing like what Turgeon has personally done in 2 weeks. Turgeon has gone so far as to meet with the Baltimore City Council president and wants to meet the mayor too. I don't think Gary ever reached out to local leaders like that. By itself that sort of thing makes no difference to a recruit. But I think it does demonstrate his intention of being a very visible presence in the city, and that will make the difference to a recruit.

Gary has retired; therefore the only correct answer is Turgeon.

I love Gary; however, his heart hasn't been into every aspect of college basketball in a couple of years. Gary accomplished so much for the school.

The future looks brighter but next year is going to be brutal.

The Terps might have to play 4 instead of 5 on tobacco road (foul trouble). That might actually be funny.

Go Terps.

Archived