Buster Olney convinced Bucs will take Hultzen

If I was Zona I would go BPA #3 then look for signability at #7 before I would look to avoid a high dollar target at #3.

That's probably how it shakes out. Problem is I think they are looking college SP at #3, so we still are probably looking at Hultzen, Rendon, Cole being gone for us to pick.

That's probably how it shakes out. Problem is I think they are looking college SP at #3, so we still are probably looking at Hultzen, Rendon, Cole being gone for us to pick.

Law has ARI drafting Bauer with the 3rd pick. Not that that's set in stone.

Law has ARI drafting Bauer with the 3rd pick. Not that that's set in stone.

Could see that too, and it probably gives them more money to spend at #7, but word was a couple weeks ago they were going to spend whatever it takes at those two spots and then go cheap the rest of the draft.

Hultzen going to the Bucs 1st overall could hurt us, but it could help as well. A few weeks ago I had the following as the first 3 picks.

1. Cole

2. Rendon

3. Hultzen

Here is how it could help us:

1. Hultzen

2. Cole

3. Bauer

4. Rendon

Hultzen to the Bucs means that the Diamondbacks can't land a guy they have been linked to for much of the year. The Mariners could decide that Cole is too good to pass up and go that route with the second pick. The Diamondbacks looking for a college starter, decide to go with Bauer instead of Rendon.

I still think Cole, Rendon and Hultzen go 1, 2 and 3, but I can see a scenario or two where the Orioles get really lucky and land either Cole or Rendon.

Hultzen going to the Bucs 1st overall could hurt us, but it could help as well. A few weeks ago I had the following as the first 3 picks.

1. Cole

2. Rendon

3. Hultzen

Here is how it could help us:

1. Hultzen

2. Cole

3. Bauer

4. Rendon

Hultzen to the Bucs means that the Diamondbacks can't land a guy they have been linked to for much of the year. The Mariners could decide that Cole is too good to pass up and go that route with the second pick. The Diamondbacks looking for a college starter, decide to go with Bauer instead of Rendon.

I still think Cole, Rendon and Hultzen go 1, 2 and 3, but I can see a scenario or two where the Orioles get really lucky and land either Cole or Rendon.

I still don't see Seattle passing on Rendon if he is healthy, the O's would most likely get Cole in your scenario.

I think if Hultzen goes 1, then Cole falls to us at 4, unless JJ is locked in on Bundy. I don't think Arizona goes Cole with the # 7 pick as well, as a Boras client he's going to be asking top dollar and won't sign until 11:59 of the last day.

I think if Hultzen goes 1, then Cole falls to us at 4, unless JJ is locked in on Bundy. I don't think Arizona goes Cole with the # 7 pick as well, as a Boras client he's going to be asking top dollar and won't sign until 11:59 of the last day.

If that scenario is true....that Cole is available at 4 but JJ picks Bundy....I will not be happy:mad:

If that scenario is true....that Cole is available at 4 but JJ picks Bundy....I will not be happy:mad:

I'm guessing this is just personal preference? Some people, like Kevin Goldstein, are ranking Bundy ahead of Cole. I have a feeling he's going to cost less than Cole to which is something we should keep in mind, and yes I know about the reports of what Bundy is asking for. Both seem to be potential aces, if you can get one of them 20% cheaper than the other than I think that's the way you go.

I'm thinking this is all much ado about nothing, and that Cole, Hultzen and Rendon will all be gone through 3 picks.

I can hold out hope though. The scenario above, with Cole going #2 could net us Rendon. Likewise, if Bundy somehow goes #1 (very unlikely, IMO), then I could see Zona taking Hultzen at #3 and one of Cole/Rendon falling to us.

All of this seems VERY unlikely, though.

Archived