vs. YANKEES 5/19

OFFNY

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weakest lineup of the year so far.

Sabathia traditionally dominates us but we've been getting a good amount of hits recently. Hopefully the weather cooperates, Bergesen can go 7+ innings and we can get a surprising but much-needed win.

UPDATE with Yank Lineup:

BALTIMORE ORIOLES

Robert Andino - 2B

J.J. Hardy - SS

Nick Markakis - RF

Vladimir Guerrero - DH

Adam Jones - CF

Felix Pie- LF

Mark Reynolds - 3B

Jake Fox - C

Brandon Snyder - 1B

Brad Bergesen - P (1-4, 4.35 ERA)

NEW YORK YANKEES

Derek Jeter - SS

Curtis Granderson - CF

Mark Teixeira - DH

Alex Rodriguez - 3B

Robinson Cano - 2B

Russell Martin - C

Jorge Posada - 1B

Nick Swisher - RF

Brett Gardner - LF

C.C. Sabathia- P (3-3, 3.47 ERA)

I was going to ask this on the main board, but more will be reading this for now...

If we had used a position player to pitch last night, say Nick, does that mean he can't bat then?

I don't know. I assume this would require them to forfeit the DH. In the NL thats an easy swap.

Snyder would have gone to RF I guess?

I was going to ask this on the main board, but more will be reading this for now...

If we had used a position player to pitch last night, say Nick, does that mean he can't bat then?

Scott, if Nick came in and kept the game tied (which I have no doubt that he would), he would have been able to hit in his place. In the AL, each team has a DH that can be used for any position (it's just used on a pitcher all of the time***). Once the DH enters the game defensively, the DH is "killed." For example, if Vlad enters the game in LF, the pitcher would have to hit in the leadoff spot (Pie's position) In your scenario, Markakis comes into pitch, and Jake Fox goes into RF, then Markakis still hits 3rd, Vlad 4th, and Fox does not hit.

***this rule applies for high school, in MLB there may be a rule that explicitly says the DH has to be for the hitter.

So the long-winded answer is no, Markakis would still hit in the 3 spot.

I don't know. I assume this would require them to forfeit the DH. In the NL thats an easy swap.

Snyder would have gone to RF I guess?

In last night's situation, Snyder would have been an option to go to RF (I was trying to recall the sequence--he was already in the game as a pinch runner/DH) They still could have gone with Fox: Markakis 3, Snyder 4, Fox-not hitting.

I think I'm correct here, but if not, someone call me out.

In last night's situation, Snyder would have been an option to go to RF (I was trying to recall the sequence--he was already in the game as a pinch runner/DH) They still could have gone with Fox: Markakis 3, Snyder 4, Fox-not hitting.

I think I'm correct here, but if not, someone call me out.

But if Nick stills hits, and Snyder goes to right, don't you still also have a DH? In essence 10 hitters?

But if Nick stills hits, and Snyder goes to right, don't you still also have a DH? In essence 10 hitters?

Yes, but whoever comes in to play RF wouldn't get to bat.

EDIT: In Snyder's case, he was already in the game as the DH. So if he moved from DH to RF, you'd lose the DH.

Archived