How would YOU fix/improve the Orioles, going forward?

Greg Pappas

These sort of threads pop-up periodically... wherein we get to explore our views of the team and organization as a whole- with an eye on the current season, and as well toward the coming seasons. I believe most would agree that this team is simply not capable-as currently constructed-of contending. I, like many others, have been disappointed with management for years, but felt that this season should show that we could at least be competitive. Those thoughts, as per usual with this franchise, have been a mirage. At least that's how it seems now.

So... where do we go from here? What would you do this year and in the coming off-season, if you were called upon to make the decisions?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1.) Wait until the trading deadline. If Vlad is still hitting, and Scott has rebounded, trade them both for pitching prospects.

2.) If Matusz,Britton, Arrietta are all pitching well at the deadline, deal Guthrie. Look for OF/3B/Pitching prospects.

3.) Go all in on the draft this year. If Cole or Rendon falls, then scoop them. If not, draft Starling. Overslot, overslot, overslot.

4.) Try and trade for Fielder with a guerenteed extension. If that fails, back up the truck to get him in the offseason.

5.) Rest Matt Wieters.

Nothing they can really do except bring in Simon-call up whoever is doing well in AAA to improve the bullpen. I dont think trading Vlad will do anything. We should hold on to him and offer arb. next year in hopes of getting a draft pick. Scott is in the midst of a horrendous slump. Little trade value here. Doubtful Guthrie will bring back anything but a flawed prospect if one even pans out. Much better to hold onto him. If anything, the O's should try and hype up Pie's athletic skills in hopes of getting a good player for him. Not sure how likely that is, though.

I've been a proponent of dealing Scott for sometime, so I'm all for it (pending a viable return.) Dealing Vlad would also be ideal (though getting picks this off-season could be possible).

I'd deal Guts also (pending a good return.)

No way I trade for Fielder, but I would go VERY HARD after him this off-season.

If the O's are out of things at the deadline definitely trade as many of Guthrie, Scott, Vlad, DLee, Gregg, Gonzo, etc. as you can to shore up the MiL rosters. I wouldn't count on much immediate ML help save a few RP's from that haul. Next fall we should be after Fielder in a big way.

Archived