Eric Hosmer - 1B

Jeff Francoeur - RF

Billy Butler - DH

Wilson Betemit - 3B

Matt Treanor - C

Chris Getz - 2B

Alcides Escobar - SS

Luke Hochevar - P (3-4, 4.36 ERA)

RIP Paul Splittorff. He was young, born 1946 (65?)

64 and-a half I believe. I loved those Royals-Yankees rivalries in the mid-to-late 70's and early 80's. The Royals were soooooooo close to beating the Yankees in the 1977 ALCS with Splittorff on the mound. One inning away !!!! :( That 1977 Royals team was probably one of the all-time great teams that didn't win the World Series (as was our beloved 1979 Orioles).

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Agreed, management couldn't care less about winning this year. I happen to think it's a BIG mistake. Nothing is guaranteed year from year. Players can regress, the chemistry might not be there, the division may be stronger, etc. Even with twice the payroll. I think he should at a minimum leave the team intact. Did they really accomplish that much with those trades? Anyway, this is just a fan speaking. They make the big bucks to make these decisions, right?  
    • Clearly Stowers for one, which is the one I was responding about from your prior post.  In his career he's hit lefties better than rights.  Of course most of that is minor league numbers as he's gotten very little chances in MLB unfortunately.   As to the others, when you are comparing them to Aguilar, does it really matter?  So far this year against lefties, Aguilar has a .562 OPS.  That really sucks.  Henderson is hitting .488 in the majors in very few opportunities (only 19 PA) and hit .502 in AAA.  So a bit worse.  Vavra, again SS, is hitting .661, against lefties, or over 100 points better than Aguilar.  Even Mullins, who is WAY worse against lefties this year than last, is still hitting .581 against them.  Point being Aguilar should not start at DH against lefties if Stowers, Vavra or Mullins are available, and I'd honestly rather see Henderson get the experience with a slightly worse OPS as that will pay off down the road I believe.  The only time Aguilar should reasonably start is to spell Mountcastle at first, and I'd personally rather see Stowers taking the spot if at all possible instead.  As to the other 'regulars' that should be on the bench, Odor is hitting .593 against lefties, so worse than Vavra (I know SS, but no other way to get a bit sample size than to let it happen). In the end I don't think that Odor or Aguilar should get another PA unless we have an injury of some sorts, a guy is banged up, or something unforeseen happens.  Let the kids play the rest of the way, and they should have been doing so a while ago.  
    • Losing 6 of the last 8 to Boston to lose the season series was the worst to me.  Another reminder that our division still owns us.  
    • Good list. You have to beat the teams you are supposed to beat.
    • This does not sting Elias.    Elias told us the truth when he traded Mancini.  He basically verbally said that this was not the year the O's were going to make the playoffs.  Then he realized what he said and what it meant and went to Texas to tell the troops that he still believed in them.   He had to so they would not quit on him. As far as the OH, I think over the winter we as a group will come to believe what Tony always says.   Watch what the O's do, not what they say. When O's traded Mancini and Lopez while the contending teams were  strengthening their weaknesses.   That was the sign most of us can look at as the determining factor that the O's did not do as well as the team could have.   Lopez would have helped the pen in the 2nd half even if he blew a few saves.   Mancini would have added to the offense and the experience level to get through the tough times.   The fact that when Elias called up Gunner  and he did not call up Westburg was also a sign that Elias was looking to future not the present. Now don't get me wrong.  Elias has done an amazing job this year.  That is why the team is closer to a 80 game win team than a 60 game win team.  All the waiver claims that panned out in the pen and Voth in the the rotation.  The turnaround of Kremer and Bradish.  The patience is took to allow Mateo be become a GG candidate.  There are just so many things that Elias and company did right. But don't think for a minute that Elias went all in to make the playoffs this season.  He said when he was hired that given the choice to barely making the playoffs or  build a team to win the division he would do the latter.  And he did. So for me its not games that will sting.  Its that Elias did not believe this was the year.  Even though the odds are he was probably right.
    • Reed only really hurt in one game. Tuesday in Boston. edit. He also allowed 2 inherited runs in TOR on 9/17.     I’m not say he was a great pickup. 
    • Elias has a pretty good track record of bringing in guys no one has heard of that are castoffs from other teams and getting something out of them.   This one didn't work out.   Plenty of others did (Perez, Baker, Krehbiel, Urias, Mateo, Watkins, Lopez, etc).    He gets a lot of leeway from me when he brings in a waiver claim based on the track record in that department.   Reed appears to have failed but I'm not going to be too critical on that.
  • Popular Contributors