Baseball America now ranks Dylan Bundy over Gerrit Cole

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nate (Washington): I'm trying to figure out how I should even think about Rendon. Depending on how you explain his health and performance in 2011, he could be anything from a star to a bust. Hypothetically, suppose that Rendon's 2011 is representative of his ability, and that injuries, for instance, are not driving his disappointing year. If that's true, what type of hitter are we projecting? Is that a slower Ackley, with maybe a little more power and defense? .300/.400/.450/15HR? Just trying to see what it would mean if assumptions of the pessimists are right. Is this a good way to be thinking about it?

Jim Callis: I'm not going to have the best answer to this, because I don't see how a team could think that the shoulder strain hasn't impacted his bat speed and swing. If he were in pro ball, Rendon would have sat out and gotten healthy and been fine. In college, he has gutted through it at less than his best to help his team. I'm not a doctor, nor a scout, but I'm believing in the 100-percent healthy Rendon we saw as a freshman and a sophomore. That guy was a stud.

Right on.

Nelson (Tacoma, WA): Any chance Jackie Z goes for a HS arm (Bundy) with the 2nd pick? Either Cole or Rendon seemed a slam dunk for the M's...and they could use a 3B!!

Jim Callis: The Mariners have been doing their due diligence on Bundy, but I keep hearing they prefer a bat. I think Rendon is their top target, and could see them taking Starling or Lindor over an arm.

Unfortunately, it still looks like Rendon to Seattle.

I would bet my shiny snow blower and tractor that Rendon is selected by Seattle.

Also CJ Cron to Tampa -- maybe both Crons.

I think the more interesting question now is who ARI selects if Hultzen and Rendon go off the board 1 and 2.

I think the more interesting question now is who ARI selects if Hultzen and Rendon go off the board 1 and 2.

I'm wondering if PIT doesn't end up with Hultzen, Howard, Burdi with their first three picks.

'Zona could go a million ways (well, at least like five or six, anyway). The mocks this year could be utterly useless up until those released the day of the draft when teams are more forthcoming.

I'd be pretty happy with whoever they didn't RVA. (Cole or Bundy)

Yeah. My guess is that if Cole, Rendon and Hultzen are the first three off the board, Bundy is an Oriole (assuming AM will fork over 30 MM of course! :) )

It will be interesting if PIT goes Hultzen, Seattle nabs Rendon, and ARI selects Bauer (I could easily see this happening).

BAL would have to select between Cole and Bundy. It's an easy choice for me, but it would make for good drama in real life.

It looks like we're going to wind up with one of Bundy, Hultzen, Rendon, or Cole, which is all gravy to me. Be very happy to have any one of them.

Yeah, this is how I feel. I'm glad we have two guys enter the discussion at the top of the board such that there are legit "stud" options besides Rendon and Cole. It doesn't sound like Bauer and Starling are that far behind either.

Yeah, this is how I feel. I'm glad we have two guys enter the discussion at the top of the board such that there are legit "stud" options besides Rendon and Cole. It doesn't sound like Bauer and Starling are that far behind either.

You could make a case for anyone in the top 10 as the #1 pick in some recent drafts.

I would have taken anyone in this year's top ten over Tim Beckham. But then I never thought Tim Beckham was the best prospect in that class (I may be in the process of being proven wrong, though).

I would have taken anyone in this year's top ten over Tim Beckham. But then I never thought Tim Beckham was the best prospect in that class (I may be in the process of being proven wrong, though).

Do you really think he might end up better then Posey?

Archived