Billy Rowell: Seems about Over

tilgaham

Disappointing to have him and Hobgood completely falter. Those are both top 10 picks.

Rowell fell off prospect lists at least a year ago and Hobgood hasn't completely faltered yet.

If Hobgood comes back at full strength, shows his previous low 90s velo and has a strong second half in Delmarva/Frederick, he should be placed back on Baltimore's top 10 list.

I was as skeptical of the pick as any, but he's still a talented young pitcher when healthy.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see Oriole management giving Rowell a long look at the AA level. Being a 1st round pick he will get a lot of rope as we have seen already. I don't see him released because his problem is not physical but mental. The day this kid's light bulb pops on he could be a terror at the plate. It is better for it to be in our uniform than someone elses. The minute we give up on him and release him there will be 10 other teams willing to gamble a minor league contract on him.

I don't know if it's fair to say his problems are mental and not physical. Yes, he has had some attitude "incidents" throughout the years but I find it hard to believe he's not trying or that he's ignoring advice, especially at this point in his career. He has certainly been humbled. It reminds me of people saying the same things about Daniel Cabrera. He tried throwing slower to cut down on his walks and tinkered with different pitches and approaches and it didn't work. Some people just can't put the ball over the plate and get ML hitters out at the same time.

Hitting in the pros is not like hitting in high school. My opinion is there is something in Rowell's vision, hand-eye coordination, balance, athleticism, I don't know what exactly but there is something physical holding him back and the likelihood is that he will never improve, no matter how hard he tries. That said, we should hang onto him at least until he becomes a minor league free agent.

I don't know if it's fair to say his problems are mental and not physical. Yes, he has had some attitude "incidents" throughout the years but I find it hard to believe he's not trying or that he's ignoring advice, especially at this point in his career. He has certainly been humbled. It reminds me of people saying the same things about Daniel Cabrera. He tried throwing slower to cut down on his walks and tinkered with different pitches and approaches and it didn't work. Some people just can't put the ball over the plate and get ML hitters out at the same time.

Hitting in the pros is not like hitting in high school. My opinion is there is something in Rowell's vision, hand-eye coordination, balance, athleticism, I don't know what exactly but there is something physical holding him back and the likelihood is that he will never improve, no matter how hard he tries. That said, we should hang onto him at least until he becomes a minor league free agent.

There's little to no hope that Rowell can succeed in AAA, much less in the majors. Get rid of him and let us move on, he's a waste of a roster spot to me.

Hitting in the pros is not like hitting in high school. My opinion is there is something in Rowell's vision, hand-eye coordination, balance, athleticism, I don't know what exactly but there is something physical holding him back and the likelihood is that he will never improve, no matter how hard he tries.

My personal opinion, after watching him all these years (Delmarva and Sarasota ST) is that Billy is a nice person and that his reflexes are a hundredth of a nanosecond slow.

We should do him a favor and trade or release him. Give the kid a new beginning. We've tried this dance for a long time. It's time for both to move on.

You are a nicer person then I am. I am in favor of holding onto him till someone takes him from us. I don't want to cut him now and him to sign on with the Blue Jays and suddenly get that piece of instruction that flips the light on for him.

I suffered through five Bowie Baysox games in Harrisburg over the weekend. Bowie is one of the worst minor league teams that I have ever seen. Avery, Hoes, Klein certainly have potential and Rowell had a good series. His bat looked much better than the last time I watched him and his fielding at 1st and 3rd were pretty good. The rest of the Bowie roster (Bascom looked good) look overmatched.
Agreed. I took the trip up Saturday. This Bowie team does not match up to past teams. Quite simply these guys have no clue at the plate. They have very little power and are struggling to hit AA pitching. I hope they can find a way to turn things around. L.J. Hoes looks like a good young player, they miss Mahoney, Brandon Waring has fallen off a cliff at the plate and other than Caleb Joseph and Xavier Avery the rest are hanging by their finger nails in the batters box. Get some instructional help down to Bowie as quick as possible.

"One of the worst minor league teams that I have ever seen" seems like overkill for a team that is 25-28. Their hitting is about the worst in the Eastern League, but their pitching is pretty good (4th in the league in ERA). It seems odd that the hitting is so bad, considering that Frederick was the 2nd best offensive club in the Carolina League last year, and Bowie wasn't awful (8th out of 12). You'd think this team is mostly made up of guys who were promoted from Frederick or who are repeating Bowie and that the hitting would be OK.

You are a nicer person then I am. I am in favor of holding onto him till someone takes him from us. I don't want to cut him now and him to sign on with the Blue Jays and suddenly get that piece of instruction that flips the light on for him.

If that happens (though I'm guessing the odds at this point are 1 in 100 or less) then I'd be much more interested in finding out what that "piece of instruction" was and demanding an answer as to why no one in the Orioles organization that has coached Rowell managed to pass that on to him.

That kind reminds me of Francoeur and his stint in KC right now. What did that team show him how to do that his other teams couldn't? Jose Bautista seems to be a similar case.

Maybe Rowell needs a change if scenery, and by that I mean a new organization with a philosophy that caters to his skill set.

In his last 10 games, Billy is batting .344 with a .432 on-base percentage, and an .839 OPS ...........

It's moving ........... It's breathing ............ IT'S ALIVE !!! :eektf:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=1B&sid=t418&t=p_pbp&pid=475728

Sorry but the jury has left the building to the janitors, rats and cockroaches. Nothing to see here....:smile11:

Sorry but the jury has left the building to the janitors, rats and cockroaches. Nothing to see here .... :smile11:

Excuse me Bob, but me and Billy's mother are both still in the building, beaming with pride. ;)

Archived