Jim Callis on 105.7 - Memorial Day at 9:30 A.M.

Callis basically thinks Rendon and Cole will go 1 or 2 and Arizona has wanted Hultzen since high school. If he is still there when Arizona picks at #3 they will take him. He seems to think the Joe Jordan connection to Oklahoma and Dylan Bundy being from there and the fact Bobby Bundy is doing well already with the Oriole minor league system makes him a likely selection for the Orioles. They discussed the fact Buck plays a major role in drafts when he is the manager and that Buck prefers a college lefthander. That comment was made by either Pete or Joe of 105.7. I don't know when Buck made that comment but Hultzen and Bradley fit that role. Jim did not see Bradley going in the top 4 but does think Hultzen will go in the top 3. He really likes Bundy and says even though he is 6'1" he pitches like a guy 6'3" based on his delivery. That's what he said.

The following info about Bobby Bundy and more about Dylan at the bottom of the story is taken from an article that appeared today.

Through nine starts spanning 49 2/3 innings, Bobby Bundy has accumulated 8.52 strikeouts, 1.81 walks, and 0.36 home runs per nine innings, while showing the strongest ground ball tendencies of his young career. In perhaps his most impressive accomplishment, Bundy is going deeper into games than ever, averaging over five-and-a-half innings per start. The righty will likely see his innings capped at about 150 this season, but learning to utilize his arsenal while facing a lineup two or three times a game is an invaluable lesson at this point in his development.

Bundy is an excellent candidate for a mid- or late-season promotion, setting the stage for a spring training invite in 2012. He still has a few things to work on in the minor leagues, and AA will be a big test for him, but regardless of where Bundy finishes the season he should be a lock for a spot on Baltimore’s top ten prospects list.

It’s a Family Thing

Bobby's brother, Dylan, is a near lock for a top 10 selection in this year's Amateur Draft

Interestingly enough, Bobby may not be the most talented pitcher in the Bundy family. His brother Dylan Bundy, a 6’1″ right-handed pitcher also out of Sperry, Oklahoma, is a near lock for a top 10 selection in this year’s Amateur Draft, only a week away. Despite good company, Dylan is considered one of the best pitching prospects to ever emerge from the area. With a mid-to-upper 90s fastball (which has touched triple digits on at least one occasion this season) and a feel for pitching that is advanced beyond his years, Dylan Bundy has emerged as arguably the best prep pitcher in a deep draft class.

This presents an interesting scenario for the Baltimore Orioles, who hold the fourth overall pick. Dylan has been placed anywhere from first to fifth on mock draft boards recently syndicated by respected national organizations. It is not inconceivable (perhaps even likely at this point) that, should he fall to the fourth selection, Dylan could join his brother Bobby in the Orioles organization.

Denver Bundy, father of Dylan and Bobby and adviser for Jay Franklin’s BBI Sports Group, played an instrumental role in securing Bobby’s precedent setting bonus in 2008, and will likely be actively involved in Dylan’s negotiation process as well. Despite a commitment to Arkansas to be a two-way player for the highly regarded baseball program, Bundy eventually agreed to sign for a $600,000 bonus, the largest awarded to an eighth-rounder at the time. Franklin, the Bundy family, Joe Jordan already have an established relationship, but Dylan will not come cheaply. Rumors have circulated around the blogosphere that the Bundy’s are looking for a $30 million signing bonus. It’s unclear how much truth there is to these rumors, and it’s highly unlikely that Dylan signs for anywhere near that figure, but what can be taken from all this is the fact that any drafting team must be prepared to play hard ball in order to sign the talented young pitcher.

Still, it’s a very real possibility that Baltimore fans may soon be dreaming of an Oriole rotation anchored by two immensely talented pitchers named Bundy.

Callis basically thinks Rendon and Cole will go 1 or 2 and Arizona has wanted Hultzen since high school. If he is still there when Arizona picks at #3 they will take him. He seems to think the Joe Jordan connection to Oklahoma and Dylan Bundy being from there and the fact Bobby Bundy is doing well already with the Oriole minor league system makes him a likely selection for the Orioles. They discussed the fact Buck plays a major role in drafts when he is the manager and that Buck prefers a college lefthander. That comment was made by either Pete or Joe of 105.7. I don't know when Buck made that comment but Hultzen and Bradley fit that role. Jim did not see Bradley going in the top 4 but does think Hultzen will go in the top 3. He really likes Bundy and says even though he is 6'1" he pitches like a guy 6'3" based on his delivery. That's what he said.

The following info about Bobby Bundy and more about Dylan at the bottom of the story is taken from an article that appeared today.

Through nine starts spanning 49 2/3 innings, Bobby Bundy has accumulated 8.52 strikeouts, 1.81 walks, and 0.36 home runs per nine innings, while showing the strongest ground ball tendencies of his young career. In perhaps his most impressive accomplishment, Bundy is going deeper into games than ever, averaging over five-and-a-half innings per start. The righty will likely see his innings capped at about 150 this season, but learning to utilize his arsenal while facing a lineup two or three times a game is an invaluable lesson at this point in his development.

Bundy is an excellent candidate for a mid- or late-season promotion, setting the stage for a spring training invite in 2012. He still has a few things to work on in the minor leagues, and AA will be a big test for him, but regardless of where Bundy finishes the season he should be a lock for a spot on Baltimore’s top ten prospects list.

It’s a Family Thing

Bobby's brother, Dylan, is a near lock for a top 10 selection in this year's Amateur Draft

Interestingly enough, Bobby may not be the most talented pitcher in the Bundy family. His brother Dylan Bundy, a 6’1″ right-handed pitcher also out of Sperry, Oklahoma, is a near lock for a top 10 selection in this year’s Amateur Draft, only a week away. Despite good company, Dylan is considered one of the best pitching prospects to ever emerge from the area. With a mid-to-upper 90s fastball (which has touched triple digits on at least one occasion this season) and a feel for pitching that is advanced beyond his years, Dylan Bundy has emerged as arguably the best prep pitcher in a deep draft class.

This presents an interesting scenario for the Baltimore Orioles, who hold the fourth overall pick. Dylan has been placed anywhere from first to fifth on mock draft boards recently syndicated by respected national organizations. It is not inconceivable (perhaps even likely at this point) that, should he fall to the fourth selection, Dylan could join his brother Bobby in the Orioles organization.

Denver Bundy, father of Dylan and Bobby and adviser for Jay Franklin’s BBI Sports Group, played an instrumental role in securing Bobby’s precedent setting bonus in 2008, and will likely be actively involved in Dylan’s negotiation process as well. Franklin, the Bundy family, Joe Jordan already have an established relationship, but Dylan will not come cheaply. Rumors have circulated around the blogosphere that the Bundy’s are looking for a $30 million signing bonus. It’s unclear how much truth there is to these rumors, and it’s highly unlikely that Dylan signs for anywhere near that figure, but what can be taken from all this is the fact that any drafting team must be prepared to play hard ball in order to sign the talented young pitcher.

Still, it’s a very real possibility that Baltimore fans may soon be dreaming of an Oriole rotation anchored by two immensely talented pitchers named Bundy.

Thank you for posting this info...

It’s a Family Thing

Denver Bundy, father of Dylan and Bobby and adviser for Jay Franklin’s BBI Sports Group, played an instrumental role in securing Bobby’s precedent setting bonus in 2008, and will likely be actively involved in Dylan’s negotiation process as well. Despite a commitment to Arkansas to be a two-way player for the highly regarded baseball program, Bundy eventually agreed to sign for a $600,000 bonus, the largest awarded to an eighth-rounder at the time. Franklin, the Bundy family, Joe Jordan already have an established relationship, but Dylan will not come cheaply. Rumors have circulated around the blogosphere that the Bundy’s are looking for a $30 million signing bonus. It’s unclear how much truth there is to these rumors, and it’s highly unlikely that Dylan signs for anywhere near that figure, but what can be taken from all this is the fact that any drafting team must be prepared to play hard ball in order to sign the talented young pitcher.

That is good info and good writing if I do say so myself! Whoever wrote that article must be an exceptionally good looking man. :)

A link or acknowledgment would be nice :):)

I heard it a little different.

Callis said that the Mariners will pick Rendon if he is still there with the #2 pick.

He said the DBacks will pick Hultzen if he still there with the #3 pick.

Callis didn't seems to know who the Pirates would pick. That makes the draft kind of up in the air. Cole may or may not be there when the O's pick. Same with Bundy.

There was some talk about whether Buck wants a college player and how much influence he will have on who the O's pick.

There were no real conclusions given at the end.

Sorry for not mentioning the writer of the story I showed excerpts from. Dan Sanchez wrote the article that appeared today.

Does anyone think it's strange Pittsburgh can't make up their mind about their #1 pick? Are they negotiating with several players and getting resistance?

Sorry for not mentioning the writer of the story I showed excerpts from. Dan Sanchez wrote the article that appeared today.

Does anyone think it's strange Pittsburgh can't make up their mind about their #1 pick? Are they negotiating with several players and getting resistance?

Just giving you a hard time because I'm the author of the piece :)

Cole and Rendon have been somewhat inconsistent lately, a couple of safe arms have come through with big seasons, and Bundy is riding helium with big stuff this year, so there's a good discussion to be had.

To me, Cole and Rendon stand out above the rest, but with financial considerations and other factors in mind, another guy could creep in.

Any mention what would happen if Pittsburgh goes Hultzen ( assuming "easier" sign )

If that happens , does Seattle pass on Rendon for Cole ?

Would Arizona pass on Rendon for a pitcher if Hultzen and Cole are off the board ?

Do the O's pass on either Cole or Rendon for Bundy ? ( doubt if they pass for anyone else other than Hultzen )

Any mention what would happen if Pittsburgh goes Hultzen ( assuming "easier" sign )

If that happens , does Seattle pass on Rendon for Cole ?

Would Arizona pass on Rendon for a pitcher if Hultzen and Cole are off the board ?

Do the O's pass on either Cole or Rendon for Bundy ? ( doubt if they pass for anyone else other than Hultzen )

All I have is what Callis said.

The Mariners will take Rendon if he is available. He thought that the Mariners would take Rendon over Cole.

Callis also sounded like he thought that the DBacks will take Hultzen over Cole. I didn't hear him address whether the DBacks would take Rendon if he is available probably because Callis is convinced that that will never happen because the Mariners will have Rendon off the board before the DBacks pick.

I answered that question on another post. I think the top three in order will be Hultzen, Cole and Bauer. Scott Boras will have an effect on the draft order. We will have to decide between Rendon a 3B and Bundy in my opinion. We need hitters for our lineup and a 3B and a 2B in the near future. Rendon would be a great selection if he's there and he has recently played 2B.

If Rendon is gone and Cole and Bundy are there at #4 who are you taking? I am going to seek out the best fortune teller in the world quickly if that happens. Both of them are going to be quality pitchers but one will be better than the other. Which one would you bet on turning out to be the best pitcher for the long haul? Cole is a Virgo and Bundy is a Scorpio. I know......this is absolutely of no value.....but......Virgos are supposed to be more low key while Scorpios are more excitable or emotional and get upset easily. A pitcher needs to have the look of no concern or worry on the mound regardless of who is batting. The way Bundy pitches I guess there is never any reason to worry or get upset. Now what?

Did anyone see Viola pitch today for the Orioles? I saw both of the innings he worked effortlessly and without any emotion which continued into the dugout after Buck pulled him for JJ. He was not intimidated at all by any of the Seattle hitters. Compare him to Mike Gonzalez and you have two guys 180 degrees apart. Personality and composure are very important when selecting players in the draft or signing free agents and making trades.

I answered that question on another post. I think the top three in order will be Hultzen, Cole and Bauer. Scott Boras will have an effect on the draft order. We will have to decide between Rendon a 3B and Bundy in my opinion. We need hitters for our lineup and a 3B and a 2B in the near future. Rendon would be a great selection if he's there and he has recently played 2B.

If Rendon is gone and Cole and Bundy are there at #4 who are you taking? I am going to seek out the best fortune teller in the world quickly if that happens. Both of them are going to be quality pitchers but one will be better than the other. Which one would you bet on turning out to be the best pitcher for the long haul? Cole is a Virgo and Bundy is a Scorpio. I know......this is absolutely of no value.....but......Virgos are supposed to be more low key while Scorpios are more excitable or emotional and get upset easily. A pitcher needs to have the look of no concern or worry on the mound regardless of who is batting. The way Bundy pitches I guess there is never any reason to worry or get upset. Now what?

Did anyone see Viola pitch today for the Orioles? I saw both of the innings he worked effortlessly and without any emotion which continued into the dugout after Buck pulled him for JJ. He was not intimidated at all by any of the Seattle hitters. Compare him to Mike Gonzalez and you have two guys 180 degrees apart. Personality and composure are very important when selecting players in the draft or signing free agents and making trades.

I would love it if Joe Jordan came out with a quote like this as to why he picked our first rounder! :-)

Archived