Orioles need Alonso, Cinci needs Guthrie - let's make a deal

JTrea81

The Reds' rotation has been struggling and Jeremy Guthrie would fill a void for them while Yonder Alonso who is blocked would likely be able to fill the LT void for us at 1B, and he has been a mentor of sorts to Manny Machado in the offseason.

When was the last time we had a LH Cuban 1B man from Miami? - Rafael Palmeiro...

Normally I'd be against this sort of deal, but the two teams are a great fit and the Orioles simply are wasting Guthrie's pitching. I think we can get more from them than just Alonso, but he would obviously be the centerpiece.

Let's make a deal and put Guts out of his misery and finally fill that void at 1B that has been there since our sweet swinging 1B man left the first time.

So what else should we be looking for from the Reds or giving back in return?

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am a big fan of Guts, but do you really think Cinci would bring him on in that park? I am not saying it could not happen, but it just does not seem like a perfect match.

Cinci is desperate for pitching - and nobody good is out there. Guthrie would instantly be the best pitcher that would be available if he was on the market.

I don't know enough about Alonso... but this is the kind of deal I meant in the other thread. Most likely a 1Bman, but a one for one deal (or one for one plus in our favor). Take the risk on a ML ready youngster. Guthrie for 5 minor league prospects is going to net us nothing. Bunch of Scott Moores and Jake Foxes.

Alonso was drafted before Justin Smoak in the 2008 draft by the Reds. He was drafted as a 1B man but has switched to LF to try to get to the majors. It took awhile for him to adjust but he's currently hitting .312/.368/.481/.849 for the AAA Reds team with a respectible .792 OPS against LHP. Alonso is 24 years old.

Earlier this season he was interviewed on MLB Network Radio where he mentioned he, Machado and A-Rod all worked out together in the offseason and he was very much impressed by Machado and kind of took him under his wing a little.

He'd be a nice fit on this team IMO especially with Machado coming up in the next few years.

Guthrie just can't win in Baltimore. He pitches a great game and in a few minutes everything is up in Smoak. I would be listening to any deal offered for him closely.

How about Smoak? Is he totally out of the question?

How excited will we all be when Alonso gives us 6 cost-controlled years of a .775 OPS and average defense? I say not very excited.

Just because Alonso is the green grass on the other side...let's not get carried away. That's a good way to make awful trades.

I would not trade Guthrie for Alonso straight up. The Mariners need offense and pitching so I doubt they deal Smoak for Guthrie. This team doesn't need just a first baseman. We need someone to play 1st and 3rd. A guy with a good enough glove to play 3rd could probably be a pretty good first baseman as long as the offense was there. If the Orioles were offered a good package for Guthrie then they should consider making the deal IMO. Holding on to a part that isn't going to get you over the hump in the next three years is foolish.

I would not trade Guthrie for Alonso straight up. The Mariners need offense and pitching so I doubt they deal Smoak for Guthrie. This team doesn't need just a first baseman. We need someone to play 1st and 3rd. A guy with a good enough glove to play 3rd could probably be a pretty good first baseman as long as the offense was there. If the Orioles were offered a good package for Guthrie then they should consider making the deal IMO. Holding on to a part that isn't going to get you over the hump in the next three years is foolish.

Don't forget 2nd base!!!!!!!

I'd much rather get a long term 2nd baseman than 3rd baseman.

Absolutely we need to be on the phone to them.

Cinci starters are next to last in IP and ERA in the NL...Guthrie is an obvious need for them.

Problem is, Alonso is having a good year and, according to Stotle, Alonso is showing himself to be adequate in LF.

Nonetheless, this is a deal that does make sense for each side and one we should be discussing.

Boxberger and/or Cozart are 2 names I would also be going after.

So far I can't see enough difference between Alonso and Brandon Snyder to warrant a trade of Guthrie to acquire Alonso.

I would hope the O's can do better if a trade of Guthrie is the best thing for the O's in July. I think the O's should wait until mid July to make that decision.

I think teams might be hesitant to offer much for Guthrie right now, as the trade market for pitchers has not really taken shape and won't until teams decide whether they are in or out prior to the July 31 deadline. Guthrie is a good pitcher, but he's not an ace that you reach for. His value is at its maximum when teams get desperate, and it's harder to find desperate teams on June 1 than on July 28.

I think teams might be hesitant to offer much for Guthrie right now, as the trade market for pitchers has not really taken shape and won't until teams decide whether they are in or out prior to the July 31 deadline. Guthrie is a good pitcher, but he's not an ace that you reach for. His value is at its maximum when teams get desperate, and it's harder to find desperate teams on June 1 than on July 28.

To me this is the reason to shop him now. If he is the best of what is available then we should not wait to see other non contending teams put up their better pitchers.

Archived