Orioles need Alonso, Cinci needs Guthrie - let's make a deal

JTrea81

So far I can't see enough difference between Alonso and Brandon Snyder to warrant a trade of Guthrie to acquire Alonso.

I would hope the O's can do better if a trade of Guthrie is the best thing for the O's in July. I think the O's should wait until mid July to make that decision.

Alonso has more raw power and plays a passable 1B from what I have heard. I'm not sold on the trade either, but with a solid prospect added it would be fair for both sides.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So far I can't see enough difference between Alonso and Brandon Snyder to warrant a trade of Guthrie to acquire Alonso.

I would hope the O's can do better if a trade of Guthrie is the best thing for the O's in July. I think the O's should wait until mid July to make that decision.

You should open your eyes then..makes it much easier to see the obvious differences.

I did not want to start another Guthrie trade thread, so I dug this one up.

After looking around, trying to get a gauge on some contending teams, it seems Guthrie would be a really nice fit for Det. Anybody agre or disagree? Also what dors Det. have that may be of intrest/available?

Anyhow, this was just a thought, and any help would be great.

After seeing Burnett get shelled yesterday, I was thinking that the Yankees could be a good fit for Guthrie as well. I doubt MacPhail or Angelos want to deal within the division, though.

How about Guts for that Cano fella?

Too steep?

Okay then, lets go to their competition and try Guts for Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk!

You should open your eyes then..makes it much easier to see the obvious differences.

I don't claim to be a talent evaluator or anything like that...but Alonso numbers don't indicate a mega producer. Is there something I'm not seeing that gives you the idea he could be a superstar? I doubt you'd see MacPhail trade for any less than 3 for 1. Just my opinion though.

This guy has Josh Bell written all over him, by the way, with less power. In fact, if you are going to deal a quality starter just for him, then id rather give Bell a first basemans glove. This is NOT the kind of player id deal Guts for, unless there is a whole lot more involved.

I don't claim to be a talent evaluator or anything like that...but Alonso numbers don't indicate a mega producer. Is there something I'm not seeing that gives you the idea he could be a superstar?

You are overvaluing Guthrie. He isn't worth a potential future All-Star.

You move him for a solid 1B prospect and then you can replace Guthrie's value in free agency at a comparable cost to what you would have paid Guthrie through Arb. Same salary cost in 2012 but you have Alonso, another spec, and a similar SP.

If Cincy bites, you have to take the deal.

You move him for a solid 1B prospect and then you can replace Guthrie's value in free agency at a comparable cost to what you would have paid Guthrie through Arb. Same salary cost in 2012 but you have Alonso, another spec, and a similar SP.

I think so, too. I'd like them to throw another piece into it...maybe a relief arm.

You are underestimating how hard it will be to replace Guthrie. How have we done signing free agent pitchers? How willing are they to come here? How did Millwood work out? Are we going to be taking flyers on guys like Duke this off season? I do not think you can make the statement that you can replace Guthrie with a similar pitcher, it is not that easy. You will have to overpay to get someone and we know that AM is not going to overpay for FA pitchers.

I don't claim to be a talent evaluator or anything like that...but Alonso numbers don't indicate a mega producer. Is there something I'm not seeing that gives you the idea he could be a superstar? I doubt you'd see MacPhail trade for any less than 3 for 1. Just my opinion though.

Yes you are not seeing GS's obsession with trading Guthrie.

Archived