Bc

Todd-O

Back when the Terps were 4-2, I had really high hopes for this weekend's match-up. I had *hoped* the Terps would be at least 6-3 (best case: 7-2)... just coming off a smashing victory in Chapel Hill. I had *hoped* Byrd would be electric. Maybe a pregame fly-over by the national guard. A jacked student section and a filled upper deck. I had *hoped* BC would enter with their season on the line (even though, one could argue that their season is one loss away from being non-NC territory).

Unfortunately, the Terps are totally broken. In Half. Smashed to bits.

The players that are healthy said the last home game was tough on the psyche. I read quotes like "dark days..."

So, this weekend is looking more like a funeral. The Terps are the home-underdog (a point spread of only 6 1/2???? Somebody isn't paying attention) in what appears to be a major way. This is their last breath at being legitimately bowl eligible. If they lose saturday and somehow win their last two... then they will be a very -very - weak 6 win team.

And the stadium is probably only going to be 75% full.

This sucks.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prediction?...............PAIN!

6 1/2 is a LOCK! I'm all over that. BC covers easily.

I love the Terps but BC has the 2nd/3rd best QB in the country and play very good football. This will be a double digit loss and will be more lopsided than the score indicates. I expect BC to totally control the game.

If I had to bet on a score... I'd say Boston College puts up over 30. The Terps will be lucky to get 6.

Did you know the Terps have THREE passing TDs this year??

T-H-R-E-E

as in

as in

High School Football.

Friedgen has got to get his face out of the Pizza box and pull together a better game plan. He's got Heyward-Bey running around... one of the best - if not fastest - wideouts we've seen in College Park since Jermaine Lewis (I'd also toss Steve Suter in there).

I would love to hear Friedgen explain himself.

I believe Fridge's excuse (and correct me if I'm wrong all you RF apologists out there) is that there are so many injuries on the OLine. However, even when we had a healthy line, we didn't do jackschitt.

I don't care if I was a 3rd stringer thrust into being a starter, I'd be pretty pissed off b/c that's a slap in the face. My HC is basically saying he has no confidence in me to do the job.

Around 1997 or 1998, I met Jonathan Ogden at Cancun Cantina, it was a nightclub near the airport. He was new to the league and a super guy as he chatted with a group of us over a few beers for an hour. We talked about UCLA (I was considering grad school there) and of course football. I asked him, "just out of curiousity, do you lift a lot in order to be able to push those guys around?" He said "Nah, I bench maybe 410, it's all technique. You don't need to be a strongman, its all in your technique."

Yes, there is a physical component to the game. I wonder if these backups are lacking in the strength or the technique? Whatever the case, I think RF is selling them short, and if he raises his expectations of them, I'm thinking a few of them might actually perform.

Terps 14, BC 10.

If I'm right, you'll never hear from me again, because I'll be dead from shock.

I'll have some of what you're having.

This game should be something on the order of 21-0, BC by the end of the 1st quarter. Maryland's injuries are simply out of control, and they are going to quite literally limp to the finish line this year.

I have a feeling the game plan this week will once again be all about ball/clock control, which means Hey-Bay will be lucky to see three balls thrown his way all game. Unfortunately, I don't think MD has the O-Line to create enough openings for the RBs (who have been one of the few bright spots on the team this year) to keep moving the ball down the field. Plus, with as banged up as the defense is, I see Matt Ryan having a field day on offense.

This game will be over fast.

Bring on the basketball!

Prediction?...............PAIN!

6 1/2 is a LOCK! I'm all over that. BC covers easily.

I love the Terps but BC has the 2nd/3rd best QB in the country and play very good football. This will be a double digit loss and will be more lopsided than the score indicates. I expect BC to totally control the game.

I have a friend who makes money off of games like this. He calls them "traps". He's taught me how to recognize them. A top-25 team goes on the road to play an opponent that is clearly inferior. Everyone expects, quite reasonably, the top-25 team to walk all over the inferior team.

And yet the line is "only" 6.5.

Why is the line "only" 6.5, he would ask? He would say that somebody knows something we don't, that there is a reason the line is only 6.5, and he would bet Maryland. And win more often than not. Reverse psychology.

I know little about college football, and BC could very well win in a blowout, but the discussion caught my eye so I thought I would mention it as food for thought.

Around 1997 or 1998, I met Jonathan Ogden at Cancun Cantina, it was a nightclub near the airport. He was new to the league and a super guy as he chatted with a group of us over a few beers for an hour. We talked about UCLA (I was considering grad school there) and of course football. I asked him, "just out of curiousity, do you lift a lot in order to be able to push those guys around?" He said "Nah, I bench maybe 410, it's all technique. You don't need to be a strongman, its all in your technique."

Yes, there is a physical component to the game. I wonder if these backups are lacking in the strength or the technique? Whatever the case, I think RF is selling them short, and if he raises his expectations of them, I'm thinking a few of them might actually perform.

My response to this is: You're talking about J. Ogden. He was a dual track/football All-American in High School. He started all 4 years in college and was the 8th Bruin football player to every have a jersey retired.

Of course for someone this talented, technique trumps strength. Don't be fooled though... he is a truly gifted player.

As for Ralph... I am totally on-board with concerns that he isn't taking the time to develop and maintain game ready players at all positions. I wouldn't be quite as concerned if 2007 was Ralph's first year of bumps. This is actually year FOUR. We suffered two 5 win seasons. Last year... 9 wins... was nice. But anyone watching the team knew they benefited from some really lucky breaks and a lot of low scoring contests... not to mention that we lucked out and played both Miami and F St. while they were really weak. That season easily could have been another 5 win season. Now we have this year.

Yes, there have been injuries. BUT... there's a major problem when none of the QBs on the sidelines last year are able to step-up and run an offense at full throttle. I'm convinced that unless Ralph sticks with Turner, we are going to see the same next year. If we see the same... then ralph should get the ax.

Sorry to say this but....34-10 BC unless we are able to control the clock and hit a couple of big pass plays downfield and if we get some breaks....you know the ones when the officials throw their flags when BC completes a couple of TD's and they are called back. Naturally anything is possible. This game is just like the Ravens game tomorrow. It can go a long way to keeping the Terps bowl hopes alive and aid the Ravens hopes for making the playoffs.

Archived